Lonely in marriage?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm wondering if any of you experience loneliness while being in a relationship, or even married? I've been with my husband for 11 years (married for 2 years), and after all these years I find myself completely lonely in my relationship with my husband and isolated from the rest of the society. Before I met him, I had friends and was active in the community, but he was very vigilant, demanding, and jealous and to keep peace with him I gradually abandoned all my friendships. Now, I have no a single friend and feel mostly depressed and resentful toward my husband. I used to think that his jealousy stemmed from his great love for me, and only now I start to realize that it was his way to control me. He has a history of mental illness (bipolar disorder), but he denies the need of working on his issues with a therapist and sometimes refuses to take his medications. It isn't my first marriage and I would rather not go through a divorce, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed and even desperate. We are doing a couple's therapy, but after a year of it he still denies being controlling. I'm trying to break the pattern of him controlling me but find my own will power shattered into pieces. Since I don't really want to go through a divorce, I'd like to rebuild myself - my independence, freedom, and social connections while being married. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Do you think, it is possible to pick yourself up and rebuild piece by piece to return to your old self, or maybe, to a stronger person? Is it possible to find true friends while being in a such a depressing marriage? Or there is only one way - to divorce? I'd appreciate your input. I am 59 and he is 64.
I have same prbolem like you

Latest posts

Back