Longest time?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm home I speak to nobody ever. I usually only go out about twice a month. When I do go out I rarely speak to anybody. I do nod and smile at the Walmart Greater. I pretend for a few seconds that I have a friend and then go about my shopping. However, once in awhile someone will try to interact with me for some reason. I usually just nod, smile and keep moving.

But, sometimes speaking is unavoidable. So I open my mouth and very little comes out. I have to clear my throat and strain in order to be heard. It's quite uncomfortable. Many times they say, "what?" So, I have to clear my throat even harder and really push out the words so they can hear me. It's frustrating!

However, once in awhile something goes wrong and I have to communicate with someone like the **** DMV or something. And, once in awhile someone corners me and tries to have a long conversation with me (several minutes). So, I do my best. Shortly after I get a headache. I assume it's because I used the part of my brain that rarely gets used.

I suppose I should talk to myself outloud. But, I do prefer to do that inside my head. There's no need for me to speak. To be honest, I don't care if I lost the ability to speak and hear. It's usually just a source of pain for me.

But, to answer your question, it's common for me not to utter a word for a month or more at a time. I think about three months is the longest for me though.

What is the longest time you have ever gone without speaking to someone?
I rarely leave my house; however, I get everything delivered. I speak to the Amazon delivery person once a week. I think thank you, counts.

Well to completely go without conversation? not including family? I will answer both in the hopes of answering the question in its entirety.

When I was growing up, I struggled with social interaction with my peers and with society in general I was socially awkward, I struggled with mental illness and was never treated for it until later on in life. My family thought I had an overactive imagination I used to have no friends, because I used to have hallucinations and hear voices (according to clinical mental health) so you can imagine how awkward I was growing up. My parent used to isolate me as much as possible from interacting with others, she used to lock me in my room I spent many hours drawing, reading playing video games I had little contact with the outside world though I had my personal family so in this time no interaction with peers or others outside of my family for maybe 12 years? Give or take about this much time lapse.

When I reached my teenage years (17 years of age) I was kicked out of my home and struggled to find a stable place to lay my head. I was homeless had no family around me where I was at around this time. I didn't talk to many people on the street the area I was at they were not the best people there was many times where I witnessed different acts of crime, abuse, theft, vandalism I even witnessed a murder (which I won't go into) in this time of my life I did not talk to others for 3-4 years.

Then around this time I found (or they found me to be correct) my other parent's side of the family, I was able to have a roof over my head finally. But around this time, I was so used to not talking to others and had PTSD, depression, night terrors, social and regular anxiety (this is not including my mental condition, which got worse from my experience of being homeless.) But there were ok times I found employment here and there. But was never really able to hold stable employment due to my condition (at this point in life I still did not know I had this condition). During one of my jobs, I had to relocate to Northern California up in the mountains I found solace in nature and started my spiritual journey (I was already spiritual this is just when I was able to find tranquility and explore it further) I started researching different religions and different practices, I practiced mediation for the first time. I could go on but for the sake of answering the question 12 years without interaction with non-family, 3-4 years total isolation (if you don't include hi, bye, thank you.)

Last edited:
Bam, You had a horrible life. So sad for you. Your post did shed light on the media you post.
I'm not doing so bad now, I have you guys and my research and school and a job, I had to go through a lot to grow the way I did and yea it was hard but there are those that suffer much worse than I did. I am so grateful to be alive though I miss my best friend (my little brother) I have to live for the both of us and one day I will be reunited with him. And though he is gone he is always with me, I was lonely its why I am here, but I have found some people that are great, and I am in a much better place thank you for your kind words though :)

Well to completely go without conversation? not including family? I will answer both in the hopes of answering the question in its entirety.

When I was growing up, I struggled with social interaction with my peers and with society in general I was socially awkward, I struggled with mental illness and was never treated for it until later on in life. My family thought I had an overactive imagination I used to have no friends, because I used to have hallucinations and hear voices (according to clinical mental health) so you can imagine how awkward I was growing up. My parent used to isolate me as much as possible from interacting with others, she used to lock me in my room I spent many hours drawing, reading playing video games I had little contact with the outside world though I had my personal family so in this time no interaction with peers or others outside of my family for maybe 12 years? Give or take about this much time lapse.

When I reached my teenage years (17 years of age) I was kicked out of my home and struggled to find a stable place to lay my head. I was homeless had no family around me where I was at around this time. I didn't talk to many people on the street the area I was at they were not the best people there was many times where I witnessed different acts of crime, abuse, theft, vandalism I even witnessed a murder (which I won't go into) in this time of my life I did not talk to others for 3-4 years.

Then around this time I found (or they found me to be correct) my other parent's side of the family, I was able to have a roof over my head finally. But around this time, I was so used to not talking to others and had PTSD, depression, night terrors, social and regular anxiety (this is not including my mental condition, which got worse from my experience of being homeless.) But there were ok times I found employment here and there. But was never really able to hold stable employment due to my condition (at this point in life I still did not know I had this condition). During one of my jobs, I had to relocate to Northern California up in the mountains I found solace in nature and started my spiritual journey (I was already spiritual this is just when I was able to find tranquility and explore it further) I started researching different religions and different practices, I practiced mediation for the first time. I could go on but for the sake of answering the question 12 years without interaction with non-family, 3-4 years total isolation (if you don't include hi, bye, thank you.)
Would you think it odd if I found your story, your ability to thrive against such bleak odds, as beautiful and moving? When so many would have been understandably bitter and gone down dark paths, you survived and have sought out a better way. It's people with stories like yours that gives me hope for humanity. I think that's pretty cool.

Would you think it odd if I found your story, your ability to thrive against such bleak odds, as beautiful and moving? When so many would have been understandably bitter and gone down dark paths, you survived and have sought out a better way. It's people with stories like yours that gives me hope for humanity. I think that's pretty cool.
thank you for your kind words, maybe that's why I continue to share with others with such transparency as possible so that others may learn that it is ok no matter what you're going through in life that you are not alone. I have found solace in my research, happiness (though tested through many different obstacles) in my life, found a sense of purpose and meaning which drives me. I wish to help others (genuinely) I have an interest in helping others who have given up on humanity, society, themselves why? Because I understand all these emotions, I have bin isolated all my life (in one way or another) I understand that most are under the philosophy (you come in alone and you die alone) I have never bin alone, even in isolation I was never alone. (I won't explain it because I do not wish to test others beliefs) but I guess living with my mental illness was a blessing even though it felt like a curse to me at the time, I wanted more than anything to have a true friend (just one) I tried to conform to be like (how I felt at the time) everyone else wanted me to be. I wanted my mother's love (I still do) I wanted more than anything to be accepted, the funny thing is it wasn't until many years later (much later in my adult years) that I realized I should love myself, accept myself, respect myself (if you cannot relate, I understand) so that way I can share those feelings with others. I will not preach to anyone because I am no one special, (these are my feelings) I have to instill these things in myself, so that way others can feel them from me and know its genuine. I used to hate, I used to doubt (I'm not naive) I don't completely put my trust in someone I still sometimes question not all circumstances are equal. But if you let me, I will show you (I don't have to I want to) that no matter how dark things are that we all can find a way to be happy, and not all consider happiness to be the same thing. Some people love to be alone (there is nothing wrong with that either) I understand them as well but if your here you must want (In one way or another) to be seen, hurd and understood. Well, I see you, I hear you, I will never completely understand you (but I wish to) so if anyone reading this needs these things, I just covered I am here for you. You are not alone... Thank you guys for your time

I'm so sorry you went through this hun,that's terrible,I'm so glad your ok now and that you made it through the worst time of your life,I'm so glad your on here,I love you my friend 💙

I'm so sorry you went through this hun,that's terrible,I'm so glad your ok now and that you made it through the worst time of your life,I'm so glad your on here,I love you my friend 💙
thank you for your kind words, and for being a positive person in my life I enjoy are conversations and enjoy waking up and opening my mail and seeing your replies they brighten my day just want to let you know that. Hope you have a wonderful day :)

I speak to people on Wednesday mornings when I volunteer at the hospital, on Saturday mornings at the market (between June and October) and on Sunday mornings at church. The rest of the time I'm alone.

My job requires minimal social interaction. That's actually the most challenging part for me as a Manager: I have to have a Bar Of Standard to hold my staff to, but at the same time, I can't be an overwhelming merciless *******, either. I feel like this would be made a bit easier if I was more extroverted and had better social skills, but because I'm a creative introvert that's actually the most stressful part of the job, not dealing with corporate and my boss, nor unhappy customers, but trying to pull off that balancing act with a staff. It isn't easy. I feel like Mulan trying to catch dishes.

Work aside, about 6 years ago, I found myself in a tight spot:
I was getting ready to move back to my hometown and was on my last 3 months of my lease.
I had no internet, no television, no game console, all my friends had moved out of town already, and I was living on half of a former paycheck squeezing through these last 90 days eating very scarcely and heavily drinking.

I dare say that was probably the closest I've ever gotten to actually killing myself. It got bad. I started having hallucinations and talking to myself in my apartment. I admittedly kind of put myself in that situation, without really knowing what exactly I was getting into. It was a terrifying learning experience, I was in a lot of physical pain at that time from lack of properly taking care of my health like I should have been trying to. It took another 2 full years for me to stop talking to myself in public places. Even now, I narrate a bit when I'm objectively doing stuff at my job and occasional customers will be like: "Are you talking to yourself?" --Yes ma'am I am, and if you'd been through the kind of isolation I have you would too. Of course I can't actually say that, but I mean 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
When I'm home I speak to nobody ever. I usually only go out about twice a month. When I do go out I rarely speak to anybody. I do nod and smile at the Walmart Greater. I pretend for a few seconds that I have a friend and then go about my shopping. However, once in awhile someone will try to interact with me for some reason. I usually just nod, smile and keep moving.

But, sometimes speaking is unavoidable. So I open my mouth and very little comes out. I have to clear my throat and strain in order to be heard. It's quite uncomfortable. Many times they say, "what?" So, I have to clear my throat even harder and really push out the words so they can hear me. It's frustrating!

However, once in awhile something goes wrong and I have to communicate with someone like the **** DMV or something. And, once in awhile someone corners me and tries to have a long conversation with me (several minutes). So, I do my best. Shortly after I get a headache. I assume it's because I used the part of my brain that rarely gets used.

I suppose I should talk to myself outloud. But, I do prefer to do that inside my head. There's no need for me to speak. To be honest, I don't care if I lost the ability to speak and hear. It's usually just a source of pain for me.

But, to answer your question, it's common for me not to utter a word for a month or more at a time. I think about three months is the longest for me though.
You sound not far off from being a hikikomori, and so am i. But i wonder what caused this?

I just lost everyone over and over and over again except my mom and brother. I moved around so much when i was a kid. And then when i was maybe 13 i got stabbed for the first time, and about a dozen times later i refused school and rejected all social life, and withdrew.

You sound not far off from being a hikikomori, and so am i. But i wonder what caused this?

I just lost everyone over and over and over again except my mom and brother. I moved around so much when i was a kid. And then when i was maybe 13 i got stabbed for the first time, and about a dozen times later i refused school and rejected all social life, and withdrew.
****! That's a really tough beginning.

Cool! New word. I never heard of that one. ;) For me I started off being withdrawn. I was / am different. I faked my reactions and interactions to appear to be normal. I pushed myself and other's pushed me to be more social. So, I did. But, it was soooo uncomfortable and stressful. But, I kept it up for decades including while I was working. But, it became too stressful, I stopped working, and withdrew from society. My stress levels went way down. My health improved. I became a much more calm person.

Now, most of the time I really enjoy being alone. I really don't like people in general. They are bad. My interactions with them IRL never end up well. But, I've kept my fake friendly appearances and appear to be normal. I smile a lot. Well, until I get mad or someone does me wrong. Then I stop faking things. But, sometimes I get lonely. I kind of wish everybody left me alone early on and didn't force me to become social. I probably would have been perfectly happy always being in my own little world.

I only mainly speak to people in work. I sometimes go out but pretty much always on my own, it's sad that people are so similar and barely talk to anyone outside their home. Modern society is more populated than ever and yet more lonely than ever.

Latest posts

Back