LOVE

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love. " -Don Juan DeMarco (movie)

Love exists in my opinion, in sooooooo many different ways, I don't think you know what it feels like to you until you have felt you are in love. Everyone always says my great grandmother died of a broken heart because she died just a couple days after my great grandfather, if only I inherited those genes but their not my biological great grand parents unfortunately:(

I just sat here for about 30 minutes trying to think how to end the sentence "love is....", well the hell with it, I can't define it generally but I can tell you what it feels like to me. Love to me is like meeting someone that was a part of you a long time ago and there is an unexplainable link between you and them which causes both of you to want to spend time with the other person. First,it's out of curiosity,then, it's for wanting to make the other's life better and you do everything you can to make them happy,and at one point it's because you know can't live without them.

It's one of the greatest feelings if not the best when you find someone that strengthens you by filling in your weaknesses, makes you feel whole inside. It's the worst feeling I've been through when someone you share this bond with dies it's like taking away a part of you and burying it in the ground, you feel crippled and weak with more reasons to die than live.Or when a relationship fades away, it's a slow dull boring ache that never quite goes away.

Love gives us the ability to feel the greatest range of emotions. It can let us feel the best that we every have, like nothing else matters as long as you are with the person you love, it lets us see how good the world can be and that its worth living for.

On the other hand love also have the ability to damage us greatly, it can hurt us so deeply that we may never recover, it can warp your thinking so that what you may think you are doing is good because it is in the name of love, it may also be horrible.

Love is like all the seasons put together, it has the beatiful colurs of autumn, the sunshine of summer, the freshness of spring and the cosyness of winter.

Love is natures way of telling us that we belong with someone somewhere.

In saying all this there are more and more ways of explaining love. You could write your whole life and never truly come to understand it.

All i know is that i want to feel loves warm embrace before my time here is up

I think its because we all define it differently. I think that love is just another word for the desire to promote the welfare and happiness of someone else. Simply put - the extent that we're willing to go to please someone else.

It can be conditional or unconditional.

It can be conditional, depending on the actions of the target. For example, when you're willing to continue caring for someone if said someone also cares for you.

It can be unconditional, such as when you care for someone and wish to do the best for said target regardless of his or her actions.

It can be romantic or platonic.

It can be romantic, involving emotions of attraction and desire. It means or involves that you'll like to have sex with the target of attention someday and would find emotional gratification from that.

It can be platonic, completely divorced from all emotions of attraction and desire. It means that you desire to promote the welfare of said target, but would not find emotional gratification from having sex.

This combination actually accounts for most(but by no means all) types of love.

When love is unconditional and romantic, this is the idealized love portrayed in literature, most likely because writers and poets had a tendancy to be unrealistic in their expectations. While the extent of attachment can vary, this definitely relies heavily on trust on the other partner because its not hard to see how it can be dangerous to the lover. The simple, "If you love me, then you would do X" is a great example of how unconditional love also implies a certain submission and negation of yourself for the sake of other person. It also allows self-validation by the other("All that matters is what you find me beautiful","I can't survive without you"), redefines the self in terms of the relationship("I want you to be my first, my last, my everything"), and tends to believe the relationship is the result of destiny or otherwise magical forces. When love is unconditional, romantic and not returned, then it is unrequited and can be incredibly painful.

When love is conditional and romantic, it could be seen as somewhat selfish, but it is often perceived as "healthy." Most often, this is when you love someone and continue to emotionally invest yourself in someone when it seems likely that you'll also be able to benefit from it. This usually involves emotional boundaries on both parties("She does not measure my worth as a human being"), sets rules on the relationship("If he cheats on me, this relationship is over"), and tends to believe that the relationship is the result of purely casual forces.

When love is conditional and platonic, it covers many of our interactons with the world. Most of us are probably well-intentioned unless given reason to believe otherwise. Again, it involves boundaries, rules, and a nonmagical understanding of the relationship. I probably wouldn't kill anyone for my male friends to make them happy, but I would be quite likely to fight or even kill someone to defend them from harm.

When love is unconditional and platonic - well, first, its incredibly rare. Its typically a kind of filial and familial love, where you're willing to do anything for someone else without any romantic or sexual interest. I've experienced it only once(maybe twice?) and it wasn't from my family - its incredibly rare, but it does exist.

Regards,
IO

Warning: A4S is NOT doing well tonight... pardon the potential rant that follows.

Love... simply put: the best and worst part of life. There are too many songs written about this phenomena (I'd say emotion, but it's often more than that... see IO's post above... which is excellent and insightful), and too many broken hearts chalked up to it. Many people have found self actualization through attaining a form of love that works for them, and others have become jaded and emotionally damaged beyond repair thanks to a perversion of love in some form. While dangerous, it's worth pursuing, but such pursuit is not for the faint of heart.

One of my favorite bands, The Ataris, have a song called "Roadsigns and Rock Songs". Permit me, if you would, to share part of this song, as I'm listening to it incessantly in my mind right now, and it sort of expresses a bit of the unfathomable depth of my emotional depletion at the moment:

I've committed to/insecurity and you/and love is overrated/it leaves you devasted/heart ripped in two

Okay, that was fairly depressing, but then again life can be that way sometimes. I need everyone to know something, but perhaps more importantly, I need ME to know something: I do believe in love, even though my faith in it tends to waiver with ever increasing frequency. There can be someone out there for me, and I believe this to be true... but being the emotionally powered person that I am, I have such a difficult time with the loneliness. One of my weaknesses is that I absolutely SUCK at being emotionally independent. While I loathe the thought of surrendering myself to someone emotionally (and physically), I absolutely crave this same thing. With ever fiber of my being, I need to be loved, but even more, to love someone.

There is love in me, and I want so badly to be able to share it. I want to feel it reciprocated. Until I can do either of these things, I will utterly remain incomplete, living a half life. Bring on the rain... once you're saturated, it doesn't really matter anymore, right?

A4S

From what I've seen, we all seem to want more intimacy, but make very bad decisions who we want it from. I can't really say that I'm making any better decisions there, and many of the girls I know make even worse decisions(said "loveless relationships" they claim to be in). So the irony is that I love people who don't really want to love me back(or have too many intimacy issues to do so), while I don't love people who probably could love me back.

I don't know why we do this to ourselves, either.

Regards,
IO

I don't think there is as unconditional/true love, I think you just make the best of what you have. Nothing in this world is perfect because we aren't, but I do believe a love that makes you happy is out there for everyone (no matter what their issues are).

Love, is a bitter sweet substance. People who do not have the luck to posses it will want it, but people who have it will get sick of it. What is love....I yearn to know.

Believe me when I say this...to all of you:
Every heartache...every evening alone...every tear in a pillow...every rejection...every second spent waiting for something you cannot define...
...every single second is worth the wait to be truly in love and be loved in return. And when it happens... you WILL know it. It grabs a hold of you, and it doesn't let go. It infiltrates every thought and ounce of your being. And there are no doubts... when you are with them... you just know... ...there is no place on this earth you'd rather be.

You can be cynical...you can call it a cliche, or a cheesy romance novel...but once you feel it, you will have no more doubts.

love is nice until it's not...

but we should all experience it at least once.

Love and hate are close cousins. Both of them require significant time and attention to nuture and maintain, both of them involve feeling passionately about a target, and both of them can come to define us.

Love & Hate,
IO

IO,

Well said! People often fail to see the direct correlation between the two. It can go from either in the blink of an eye. I've experienced this, unfortunately on the side of love turning to hate, and I'd never felt so much hatred toward another human being as I had when the first girl I truly loved stabbed me in the back. First heartaches are tough to handle.

Where was this site then?

Kind regards,
A4S

Love is all a big lie. You think you've found it and then you end up hurt. That's what I experienced.

It's too easy to feel upset when such deep emotions are involved...
then again it's so easy to feel amazing too, I guess.

But which one happens more often? For me it's sadness, I think... even though I'm in love.

He loves me too... but I often push him away for no reason (well, I think it's because I don't feel like I deserve anything...). I don't mean to, and it may be some weird backwards way of getting his attention, but i'm worried that one day he'll just give up.

weird eh.

BrokenDreams said:
Love is all a big lie. You think you've found it and then you end up hurt. That's what I experienced.

BD,

I know you must feel that love sucks right now. But I can assure you that there are some good instances of love, that last, and if there's anything I've learned, it's to not judge others based on a bad experience I had with one person. In your relationship, there were some good moments, and it's important to cherish those. Many of us have been crushed by love, so yes, it does happen often, but that doesn't mean that we should give up. I mean what kind of life would you rather live - a closed, sheltered one where you will always be alone, or an open, free one where you may be able to use your powerful ability to love? Both have upsides and downsides, but it's up to you to choose.

Latest posts

Back