Low hanging fruit... IQ measurement?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beingnobody

Reaction score
Specific to America, where the "average" IQ is supposedly around 99, I think the debate is largely speculative.

Do you know anyone who has ever been professionally measured for IQ by any source responsible for documenting and reporting results?

Have you ever taken(and completed) a verifiable IQ test by a legitimate organization, such as MENSA?

If you have, surely you recognize that a significant portion of the American population does not have the attention span to get five minutes into an IQ test without quitting, poking their eyeballs out and tearing their hair from their scalp.

I think we can largely disregard any website that claims to answer any question comparing the intelligence of people based on pretty much any demographic qualifier.

I've never had an IQ test.

Growing up, I guess I was considered gifted, but I always felt it was barely. Of all of the gifted people I felt like I must have been the least. I found that I wasn't really like most people, but I wasn't really like the gifted people either. I felt somewhere in between.

I'm a Star Wars fan, and it helps me sometimes to understand things in real life to see things through the media I take in. I feel like if this were the Star Wars universe, and intelligence was like the Force, then I might have enough midi-chlorians for them to show up, but not enough to actually be a Jedi.

I felt like I had enough smarts for them to register on tests, but not enough to significantly improve my quality of life, to make any money or to be an achiever at anything.

I have a decent memory, and I try to be articulate, my writing and reading comprehension are alright, and I try to think through how to do things, the processes underneath how things are done and why. But complex things like math and technical stuff, are hard for me. Also quick thinking is hard for me, and I'm not very cunning - which I think has caused me a lot of problems in life. I'm not a very strategic/calculating person.

I feel like while I might be able to pick things up thoroughly, I don't do it very quickly.

I've always been worried that I am just intelligent enough, to know that I am not intelligent enough, to get anywhere.

Last edited:
I've never had an IQ test.

Growing up, I guess I was considered gifted, but I always felt it was barely. Of all of the gifted people I felt like I must have been the least. I found that I wasn't really like most people, but I wasn't really like the gifted people either. I felt somewhere in between.

I'm a Star Wars fan, and it helps me sometimes to understand things in real life to see things through the media I take in. I feel like if this were the Star Wars universe, and intelligence was like the Force, then I might have enough midi-chlorians for them to show up, but not enough to actually be a Jedi.

I felt like I had enough smarts for them to register on tests, but not enough to significantly improve my quality of life, to make any money or to be an achiever at anything.

I have a decent memory, and I try to be articulate, my writing and reading comprehension are alright, and I try to think through how to do things, the processes underneath how things are done and why. But complex things like math and technical stuff, are hard for me. Also quick thinking is hard for me, and I'm not very cunning - which I think has caused me a lot of problems in life.

I feel like while I might be able to pick things up thoroughly, I don't do it very quickly.

I've always been worried that I am just intelligent enough, and that I am not intelligent enough, to get anywhere.
If you go take a taste with Mensa, which is similar to tests my psychiatrist gave me it seems IQ is mainly a measurement of problem solving ability, more than information retention.

If you go take a taste with Mensa, which is similar to tests my psychiatrist gave me it seems IQ is mainly a measurement of problem solving ability, more than information retention.

Yeah I'm not too confident on that. Even with what I was saying about trying to understand the processes underneath how something works, I've never been much of a problem-solver. Although that could be more down to fear of failing and looking stupid, or fear of messing things up permanently or being blamed for something, than actual inability to solve problems.

I feel like I'd be better at information retention because that's more of a memory skill. But even that is iffy for me.

I guess taking a test is the only way to know for sure.

Yeah I'm not too confident on that. Even with what I was saying about trying to understand the processes underneath how something works, I've never been much of a problem-solver. Although that could be more down to fear of failing and looking stupid, or fear of messing things up permanently or being blamed for something, than actual inability to solve problems.

I feel like I'd be better at information retention because that's more of a memory skill. But even that is iffy for me.

I guess taking a test is the only way to know for sure.
Psychologists enjoy giving these intelligence/cognitive function tests but seemingly avoid giving IQ scores, imo, anyway. My tests spanned over two consecutive days

Psychologists enjoy giving these intelligence/cognitive function tests but seemingly avoid giving IQ scores, imo, anyway. My tests spanned over two consecutive days

What did you get, if you don't mind sharing? If not, that's OK too.

I'm kind of worried about what I'd get. Are you supposed to prepare ahead of time, study up on some things? Or is it supposed to be as you are right then and there. My math is more than a little rusty. I managed to get to calculus but that was over 15 years ago.

I have performed quite well on the Mensa testing model. However, I think it shows only a capability for problem solving, rather than academic intelligence. By example, I cannot grasp certain things that many achieve with mundane nonchalance. Yet complex problems in engineering, I can clearly visualise without having completed the mathematics of computer modelling.

America, like other countries, has placed too much emphasis upon academia, and qualifications of no specific value other than proof of participation. Universities and colleges, are happy to sell any form of education, to those who can afford it, and some that cannot. Little concern is given to the students abilities, or where there might be a skills shortage.

Students with $300,000 debt for a irrelevant degree, are deemed intelligent. Their futures are trapped within telemarketing and data processing.

Contrast this with a stereotypical Montana farmer, who probably walked away from the education system, aged 16. Yet, weights and measures, legalities, and logistics, all quite possibly processed without any fanfare or fancy certificate.

Intelligence of any measurement is only worthwhile if applied.

Little concern is given to the students abilities

That just has me thinking - I wish there was a better system in place for determining where your abilities are. One of my biggest problems in life is not knowing where mine are, or feeling like I even have any. I don't think school really does a good job of finding your abilities, it just kind of gives you homework and projects to slog through. I never felt like I found something that made me feel like "this is it, this is my path, this is me". Maybe it works for some people, but for me, it was always just stuff that I had to do. There wasn't any deeper meaning to it.

Then the problem is, what if it turns out that the thing you have abilities at, doesn't make any money. But you need money because you don't come from it, and don't want to go through life frustrated and struggling and living miserably. Or what if you don't have any abilities at all - like what I'm afraid of is the case for me.

That's something that gets me mad about society - should a person be essentially punished, damned to a low quality of life, because they weren't randomly born with a STEM brain? It doesn't seem right to me.

A guy at work kept bragging about being in a high IQ club. I'm fantastic at problem solving and visually conceptionalizing 3D models in my head in order to figure out if things will work or not and how they line up. I'm good at taking tests too. I got perfect scores on several of the yearly tests in school. I was even requested to take the SATs at a university when I was in 6th grade. It felt weird being so young sitting around all the college students. I remember them making all kinds of comments. I did well enough to get into college. But, it showed that I wasn't the genius they hoped for. So, I was ignored and went on to 7th grade and slept the rest of the way through the education system. I've never really thought much of standardized schools. I do think trade schools and on the job training are the way to go. Very few people need a well rounded education.

Anyway, I took an IQ test at the same place as the bragging co-worker did. I'm pretty sure it was Mensa sanctioned or whatever. It was very formal. Anyway I beat his score by several points. That was my goal. Then I went around work saying if an idiot like me can beat his score then he must not be too smart. Ha! Ha! It's fun knocking people off their arrogant pedestals.

My son had formal IQ tests in high school. He's what they call "twice exceptional."

I never really cared for IQ tests, it's not like it will change who you are and honestly, for a lot of people, it just makes them think they are better than others. But yeah, as Colster said, it's pointless until you use it. Take over the world, cure MS, whatever, but do SOMETHING with it.

^ Good Point! I'm working on a medium range high frequency microwave transmitter to zap my annoying neighbors when they are drinking, talking loud, and screaming. That will be very useful! Woohoo!!!!!

I tried one that I bought from China. But, all it did was beep a couple times and then started smoking just like most of the stuff I get from there does. Ha! ha!

Latest posts

Back