Masks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJW

Reaction score
I wear a mask, despite having been vaccinated. I'm not concerned about myself. I've proven to be resilient, having never had the flue for more than hours rather than days.

I wear it because children are at the mercy of the people around them. I have a very soft nerve when it comes to children. I hate suffering when it is anywhere, but kids suffering just breaks me down.

So I'm in Walmart yesterday when this (I would really like to get derogatory here) man challenges my wearing a mask, asks if I'm sick, and professes to tell me "You know they don't do anything."

I told him I wear it to protect the children. He said "I have a friend that is a doctor. She graduated magna cum laude. Do you know what that means? She says they are useless."

After seven misdiagnoses I don't have a lot of respect for a medical education. You can earn the knowledge, but it takes intelligence to use it. And I told him so as I walked away.

Moments later I saw him hugging children and I presume their father, acting as if he'd not seen them for a while.

I hope none of them are infected, but there is no way to know. Caution isn't a hard concept to grasp. It disappoints me that people like him don't seem to have the sense to understand what a horrible risk they are taking.

PEOPLE ARE DYING!

But why should that inconvenience any one... (sarcasm)

I just don't get it.

The entire pandemic is all about what you personally believe. Some doctors DO say masks don't work and there are studies to back them up. Some doctors say they do work and they also have studies to back them up. Are masks 100% effective, no, they aren't. The virus is small and it can get through the masks most people are wearing, especially if you aren't wearing it properly or it's dirty or you're doing this or you're doing that. BUT, that's also really only if you are being exposed for a significant amount of time.

Anyway, my point is that it doesn't matter what YOU believe in regards to other people because you are only thinking for yourself. Other people might believe differently. Is the mask working for you because you haven't gotten sick? Maybe....or maybe you've just gotten lucky...or maybe you have gotten COVID and you just didn't have symptoms. You never know. So, do what you think is best, but you can't expect others to do what you think is best because they might think something else is best. That and telling people this or that is unlikely to change what they think.

I get it though, I live in rural America and the majority of people here have never worn masks, even at the height of the pandemic. I wear a mask the majority of the time, but it does no good to tell other people what I think.

I didn't tell the man to wear a mask. He approached and condemned me for wearing one. Like my mask was hurting him at all. I hear a lot about freedom these days, but I always hear it as "my freedom," and never "your freedom."

In the very least, a mask limits your exhale to inches rather than many feet. In that it is effective. If two people face each other a few feet apart and both wear a mask there is very little chance of an exchange of breath. Else wise an exchange is absolute.

It's not a gas mask. I get that. It doesn't mean they are ineffective. Studies show a 51% reduction in breath particles when wearing the lightest of masks. Half a chance is better than no chance.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt was a study that indicated a 70% decrease in infections as compared to outbreaks on cruise ships that had no precautions.

I found no publications that said masks did no good at all.

Belief seldom has any basis in reality. Mine is not so much belief as it is to err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry.

People don't care until it hits their personal life.

I didn't tell the man to wear a mask. He approached and condemned me for wearing one. Like my mask was hurting him at all. I hear a lot about freedom these days, but I always hear it as "my freedom," and never "your freedom."

In the very least, a mask limits your exhale to inches rather than many feet. In that it is effective. If two people face each other a few feet apart and both wear a mask there is very little chance of an exchange of breath. Else wise an exchange is absolute.

It's not a gas mask. I get that. It doesn't mean they are ineffective. Studies show a 51% reduction in breath particles when wearing the lightest of masks. Half a chance is better than no chance.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt was a study that indicated a 70% decrease in infections as compared to outbreaks on cruise ships that had no precautions.

I found no publications that said masks did no good at all.

Belief seldom has any basis in reality. Mine is not so much belief as it is to err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry.

People don't care until it hits their personal life.
I'm also vaccinated but in most situations I just put the thing on. It hurts me not one bit. I don't care for it. But it does put most people at ease, so not a difficult call. The ones who are nearly apoplectic at someone who wears one makes me wonder what kind chaotic life they live in.

I'm also vaccinated but in most situations I just put the thing on. It hurts me not one bit. I don't care for it. But it does put most people at ease, so not a difficult call. The ones who are nearly apoplectic at someone who wears one makes me wonder what kind chaotic life they live in.
The mask arguments are out of control. They are helpful in containing spread, but people are too selfish to take one for the team. Covid affects us beyond our personal health and these consequences are not highlighted. For example, in my city there was an outbreak among 911 operators, 19 in total. You could be unvaxxed, maskless put on hold and die due to covid of others. Covid in other countries affects supply chain of goods made someplace else. Unfortunately, world is full of short-sited people and their it’s all about me.

I wear them only where it's obligated(shops, transport, etc) I don't wear them out(streets, parks, forests).

I prefer people no to come close - as they did when all began. But now they do again, sometimes I feel really angry with it - why I should wear a mask for them while they don't keep any distance.

I don't care do others wear the masks or not. But telling someone to put off a mask is really weird.
I know one guy who wear the masks even walking alone outside, I find it strange but never tell him anything, it's his business.

I wear a mask, despite having been vaccinated. I'm not concerned about myself. I've proven to be resilient, having never had the flue for more than hours rather than days.

I wear it because children are at the mercy of the people around them. I have a very soft nerve when it comes to children. I hate suffering when it is anywhere, but kids suffering just breaks me down.

So I'm in Walmart yesterday when this (I would really like to get derogatory here) man challenges my wearing a mask, asks if I'm sick, and professes to tell me "You know they don't do anything."

I told him I wear it to protect the children. He said "I have a friend that is a doctor. She graduated magna cum laude. Do you know what that means? She says they are useless."

After seven misdiagnoses I don't have a lot of respect for a medical education. You can earn the knowledge, but it takes intelligence to use it. And I told him so as I walked away.

Moments later I saw him hugging children and I presume their father, acting as if he'd not seen them for a while.

I hope none of them are infected, but there is no way to know. Caution isn't a hard concept to grasp. It disappoints me that people like him don't seem to have the sense to understand what a horrible risk they are taking.

PEOPLE ARE DYING!

But why should that inconvenience any one... (sarcasm)

I just don't get it.
i'd have told him where to go. not his place to dictate to some random stranger what's what or why one should wear a mask.

I hate wearing masks and only do so when absolutely required to get something I need. However, if I saw that happening I think I would have put on my mask and stood right next to you. Yes, freedom needs to go both ways.

It's kind of like the argument against men walking up to random women and telling them to "smile". Like he has zero idea what is going on in your life or with your health, so he's telling you more or less to not wear a mask because it would make HIM feel better to not have to be reminded at every outing there is a raging pandemic still going on in most of the world.

Latest posts

Back