MCU vs DC Theory

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpendable

Reaction score
I think I've finally begun to understand the film rivalry between these two outlooks on the superhero movie. Rivalry that doesn't have to do with the world of comics, if not with the perception that ordinary people about these characters. Vague memories of previous versions and a general idea respected by the general culture.
When I see the reviews of Batman vs Superman, especially in E.E.U.U, comes a kind of philosophical confusion. Or rather a radiographic look at what is a marked morality and how to dictate tastes.
I like both Marvel and DC. Reserving some criticism on some less satisfactory deliveries , but in the end, both companies have gave me different things through the years. But I think I've discovered where do they come for me to do these findings.
I really liked Avengers when it came out. When I saw on TV, I liked a little less; and even less the third time. However many will agree it was a turning point with regard to what was done previously in the genre. The first break was simultaneously Ironman and The Dark Knight. Since that time I predicted a battle of styles and ideas. Marvel and DC comedy with seriousness and moral questions from DC. The difference in DC, are that those questions plaguing the characters showed us their moral limit. While at Marvel, those questions appear as mere plot devices. They are mostly superficial and never delve further for fear of distracting the public from the bright colors and jokes.
For example, when Tony Stark has a change of life after being almost killed in the first film, we are warned that he must change his personality if he wants to rectify his life. However, in Iron Man 2, we see again the worst of his personality throug fighting with War Machine and causing damage. Why? Because in the end you know that Marvel should keep the old personality of his to avoid a new dilemma and generate conflict in the fans. So no matter what happens to Tony, he has to remain the same and perpetuate the status quo to appeal to the audience.
On the other hand, in Man Of Steel's dilemma is not resolved. Clark was warned his whole life what can cause his existence on earth and the film ends with all his fears materializing. Even in Batman vs Superman This dilemma can still be a central theme. Clark becomes a different person when learns to use his powers and will no longer be the same. We even see that Clark and Superman do not act very different, because the film emphasizes that Superman is as human as anyone and does not need to create an alter ego to hide it. We no longer need the perfect Superman from Christopher Reeve and his perfect moral endings (if there were any). And moral conflicts from Marvel are intended to be addressed superficially, not wanting to upset the audience. In DC are exposed to suggest to the audience, and this often isn't well recieved.
I'm not trying to impose one company over another. I understand well that they give different things to compare them fairly. I know when I go to see Age of Ultron that I'm going to have fun and see action. And I know that when I go to see Batman I'll see action to, but also the deconstruction of a character as well as various philosophical and moral conflicts in a more realistic look.
What finally it brings me to a conclusion about why Batman Vs Superman is being so punished artistically. Obviating technical failures and narrative flaws it may have. As Man Of Steel was punished. The most important thing is to know that films is basically escapism. A distraction of common life and routine. Point against the detriment of realistic cinema and its approach to reality. Marvel is pure escapism, cartoons carried in flesh. Not only in the aesthetic point of view, but also thematic and ethically relevant.
When Obadiah Stane wants to take Stark Industries, Ra's al Ghul wants to eradicate the moral decay that appears periodically in the human race. When Loki wants to seize the throne of Asgard, The Joker wants to prove that morality does not exist in a nihilistic view of human ideas. When Ivan Vanko wants revenge on the Stark family, Bane wants to continue the work of the League of Shadows and destroy Gotham city as a symbol of corruption and decay. When Loki wants to seize the earth, Zod wants to save his race at all costs, even if it means destroying another without moral reservations or malice; only as Darwinian means. When Ultron breaks the scheme and wants to destroy the human race five seconds after meeting it, her personality is ironically pushed to look more human than a machine, making his reasoning in dissonance with his objectives; all for wanting to do more jokes with him. Slso with Red Skull, Malekith and False Mandarin. All they want is power. The most cliche antagonist motivation of all.
Finally in B vs S, Lex Luthor gets his motivation through their relationship with power. he abandons the idea of ​​God after suffering at the hands of his father and rejects the idea of ​​absolute love by the absolute power. "God cannot be all-powerfull and all-loving" (paraphrasing) Because absolute power corrupts absolutely. And when a God-like being appears on earth, his desire is to test this theory and to make Superman kneel to confirm that even the most just and benevolent being is able to commit acts of brutality when it's pushed to the limits of the humanity it possesses.
This kind of escapism is not generally appreciated by the audience, because it puts us very close to question our own beliefs. We do not want to be challenged in our interpretation of reality. We want the villains that are defeated at the end by both virtue and truth being well defined to our standards. This is why DC has difficulty transmitting their messages, because it makes us think of other alternatives that don't sound so black and white. Because it's debate disguised as escapism. It already did it with Watchmen and that disheartened ending , while Dr. Doom wanted... well... take over the world.
Obviously B vs S is not a perfect film, it has editing problems and consistency problems. It tries to cover too much too soon and fails to develop certain characters. But it's above the typical battle between good and evil. It is easy to guess that the following DC movies will continue the same rejection as they continue this narrative. While the Marvel fun will continue with little danger. Civil War finally promises a moral battle between superheroes and perhaps breaks the scheme. For now both companies will continue to compete and make mistakes and successes. But what is certain is that the fairest way to assess films will be with one's own opinion, not be swayed by critics, ratings or box office sales. Make your own verdict as objectively as possible and draw your own conclusions.

I have been into comics since the early 1970's as a child, I have read both DC and Marvel and have been a fan of both.

As far as the movie universes both have set or trying to set up, Marvel decided to keep their characters as close to the way they are in the comics as they could, DC is trying a dark and gritty approach, where their heroes seem to think saving people is sometimes a bother and murdering criminals is just what you have to do.

The problem with DC and WB allowing this, they stop being heroes when they start killing, yeah some moviegoers may think "Yeah Batman kill those thugs" some will be appalled that Batman that had a decades no kill rule would do that, (Not counting elseworld versions) and that Superman would not be like the Reeves 1978 version that was pretty much a clone of the comic book, a boy scout, who was taught to save and help humanity, why in Man of Steel movie when Pa Kent suggested he let the bus full of kids die, I was like what? Is he the anti-uncle ben type of character now, he would have never said that to Clark in the comics, it would have been the exact opposite.

Also you have to factor in If Batman was killing criminals, he would have been hunted down by the police like the Punisher is in the Marvel Universe, no Bat-Signal on the roof of police headquarters.

I think WB needs to do what Marvel seemed to hit upon, keep your characters as close to the source material as you can, and make your heroes well heroes and the DCU movieverse will be just as successful as Marvel.

Xpendable said:
.... Rivalry that doesn't have to do with the world of comics, if not with the perception that ordinary people about these characters. Vague memories of previous versions and a general idea respected by the general culture...

Latest posts

Back