Meetup.com

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a few Meetup groups in order to learn to be more social. Instead I realized that I really don't like being around groups of people especially when they are trying really hard to show how great they are at something. It seemed like only a few were actually interested in having fun with the activities.
Like anywhere else, first date, job interview people are at their best. My members and I had tons of fun, high percentage came back.

It seems that this forum is in dire need of new topic, so I’d like to ask if anyone of you lonely people has ever tried it. It used to be a great place to meet people and make friends. As everything else, it got ruined by …. we the people! We just can‘t have nice things anymore. Basically, you join groups by location and interest. I am including link to Meetup however feel free to ask anything, I organized a social group for 5 Years.

I've met some good people on meetup. I started in 2007 until 2015. I got involved with one local group there was so much drama i had to stop because the organizer had mental issues and i was her only ears and a shoulder to "cry" on. No other women (1) were allowed to talk to me. When she tried, the organizer got rid of her. Men in group could talk to me but not for long. Organizer wanted to keep me near herself at all times because she had to talk about her same never ending problems. It was nice that someone gave me time of day and attention but her status was much higher then mine and i felt like a lesser person. I had to end it because too much drama. There were groups where nobody gave me time of day and i was completely alone. In some groups i made temporary friends. We had a good time. In 2012 i had a bad injury while trying to help someone. Had to stop doing activities. I miss meetups but don't think i can do it again. I can't socialize anymore. I do everything alone.

And if people aren't *******, 'hiking,' they are meeting at some stupid bar, filling their stupid mouths with shitty food and drinks. And then, being a painfully single and lonely male, kinda says it all right there from the start. Not to mention my social status game is pretty (very, very) low; and my social game in general is pretty low.

But, if you play it right, and put in the effort, I'm sure it's a chance to, 'meet,' people. I guess one of the perks is the younger generation has probably lost their attention span for that site, so it's probably mostly 30's and up who still use it; but, of course, they all drink, and if they don't drink, they are probably just habituated to all the stuff people who believe they are addicts are habituated to.

fresia karaoke, fresia the bars, fresia the diners, fresia the **** hikes, fresia the self-improvement seminar on such and such topic, tired of it. Western culture is horse honeysuckle. If some one started a meetup where we learn archery and just take turns shooting arrows into the sky, that might be neat. Or maybe a traditional japanese tea ceremony, that'd be neat.

LOL yes after hiking some went to eat and drink. Every time i wanted to join an activity group but saw meetups at some street garbage food joints i skipped those groups. I'm not here to eat garbage and drink alcohol. We don't do that here. We are very different. I'm not the 99.99999%. Normalcy is frowned upon where i am. I'm hated by some for not being like them and not doing what they do. Normally i don't give a honeysuckle but recently it hit very close to home.

It seems that this forum is in dire need of new topic, so I’d like to ask if anyone of you lonely people has ever tried it. It used to be a great place to meet people and make friends. As everything else, it got ruined by …. we the people! We just can‘t have nice things anymore. Basically, you join groups by location and interest. I am including link to Meetup however feel free to ask anything, I organized a social group for 5 Years.
I did try it, 2-3 times. It doesn't help that there's not much of a choice in my area, but my interests aren't common and so, one time I went to one, and it was basically deserted, another time I went and there were too many people and got anxious and left ( D: I know) and one more time I was brought to one without knowing, and that was a great deal of anxiety.

Maybe I should try and make my own group, but I'm not good at this kind of thing :\ Also, I wouldn't know what to make it about.

That website is a joke. When it comes to religion. I found more groups that are anti-religion. Than those centered on religion.

atheism headquarters turned out to be minutes away from me. I wanted to joint but it was worse than a church lol i don't need to pay fees for every meetup to know i'm one or talk to other atheists about atheism.

I did try it, 2-3 times. It doesn't help that there's not much of a choice in my area, but my interests aren't common and so, one time I went to one, and it was basically deserted, another time I went and there were too many people and got anxious and left ( D: I know) and one more time I was brought to one without knowing, and that was a great deal of anxiety.

Maybe I should try and make my own group, but I'm not good at this kind of thing :\ Also, I wouldn't know what to make it about.
When I had a group, I took care that my profile questions revealed something about the member. So I had a question “what would prevent you from attending“. Some said time, distance and social anxiety. In case of anxiety, I would reach out to them through personal messages and encourage them. If they came out, I would give them comfort and watch out for them like a mother goose. That was during golden times of meetup before members were given options to block messages. Bad move on Meetup part. If you joined it shouldn’t be a drag for you to allow contact. I can only speak about it the way it was before horrible changes took place. Speaking of deserted, I once arrived at the meeting place expecting 8 people to join just to have all of them bail. Good times, lol!
if you want to start your own group, start something you enjoy doing and manage expectation. What do you have to loose, but a little bit of money.

I've met some good people on meetup. I started in 2007 until 2015. I got involved with one local group there was so much drama i had to stop because the organizer had mental issues and i was her only ears and a shoulder to "cry" on. No other women (1) were allowed to talk to me. When she tried, the organizer got rid of her. Men in group could talk to me but not for long. Organizer wanted to keep me near herself at all times because she had to talk about her same never ending problems. It was nice that someone gave me time of day and attention but her status was much higher then mine and i felt like a lesser person. I had to end it because too much drama. There were groups where nobody gave me time of day and i was completely alone. In some groups i made temporary friends. We had a good time. In 2012 i had a bad injury while trying to help someone. Had to stop doing activities. I miss meetups but don't think i can do it again. I can't socialize anymore. I do everything alone.
I stopped organizing in 2018 and have not gone since. I recently joined a group that does lake cleanups. I am excited to one day participate, but my dog has recently gone blind and I am not comfortable leaving him alone.

Hehe, drama, yes there was plenty lol

Latest posts

Back