Moving to Vancouver city with just a few luggage cases/bags

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vancouver will eat you up in a heartbeat...

Good luck, pal...you're gonna need lots of it.
I dont know Vancouver first hand, but from what I do know, I tend to agree with the above comment. With that said, I do have a recommendation for you if you find yourself in Vancouver. The Union Gospel Mission helped a friend out. You could get a free meal and perhaps be directed to some resources in the city.

https://ugm.ca/

If you truly want to know what gaslighting is, watch the film, "Dangerous Crossing." That film is the definition of what, 'gaslighting,' is. It's a really good movie too.

Some one trying to convince you that moving to a new city with no friends, little money, and few resources, is not trying to, 'gaslight,' you. They are just giving you their opinion. They are naysayers at worst and concerned for your well being at best; and, realistically, perhaps both, to varying degrees.

What you are describing is more akin to the movie, "Tenacious D and the Pick of Desinty." The main character wants to, 'rock,' but his family, 'doesn't get it,' and, 'doesn't approve;' so he strikes out on his own to make a life for himself, on HIS terms. It's just naysayers, everyone has them...

As for the rest. No. Cults and propaganda are different phenomena. That's why there are words to describe them. I don't have a, 'stance,' for or against whatever you said being, 'gaslighting.' If you called an orange an apple, I'd tell you it's not an apple, it's an orange. It's not a matter of position, stance, or opinion. It's a matter of fact.

It's really not that deep of a subject. It's just the understanding of a word and it's meaning. Now, if enough people forget their history or are ignorant, the meaning of that word could change, because the majority will adopt a new meaning for it; but, I remember the meaning of that word, and I'm letting you know. heh.

Anyway, yeah, good luck.

Oh I know, and I'm not coming in with an argument or hostilities either. It's nothing more than an intellectual debate on the core meaning of a word.

I don't believe I compared cults to propaganda at any point though. But rather I made statements about how cults could use gas lighting as a way of keeping their members in check, the same way that society does when it comes to anything that defies the mainstream narrative. Obviously cults/society are not 'gaslighting', they are separate things entirely, but they use gaslighting as a tool. I mean, the definition of gas lighting is to make people believe that they're crazy, for believing things that are not crazy, correct?

In the case of lower members of a cult, and the majority of society, they may not be aware when they are gas lighting someone, but that doesn't change the fact, that's what they're doing. For example, when they laugh at someone, and call them 'crazy', or a 'tinfoil hat nutter' for making objectively true statements such as "the government does not have our best interests at heart", or "the corporations are utilizing psychological methods to push people into spending exponentially more money on their products, which are exponentially degrading in quality, and quantity.".

You are likely correct about my initial use of the term, I'm not arguing that. I'm merely discussing the mainstream uses of the term; which you have deemed to be incorrect.

I dont know Vancouver first hand, but from what I do know, I tend to agree with the above comment. With that said, I do have a recommendation for you if you find yourself in Vancouver. The Union Gospel Mission helped a friend out. You could get a free meal and perhaps be directed to some resources in the city.

https://ugm.ca/
Thx. I'm not religious at all myself, but if the other options fail, I may look into this.

Oh I know, and I'm not coming in with an argument or hostilities either. It's nothing more than an intellectual debate on the core meaning of a word.

I don't believe I compared cults to propaganda at any point though. But rather I made statements about how cults could use gas lighting as a way of keeping their members in check, the same way that society does when it comes to anything that defies the mainstream narrative. Obviously cults/society are not 'gaslighting', they are separate things entirely, but they use gaslighting as a tool. I mean, the definition of gas lighting is to make people believe that they're crazy, for believing things that are not crazy, correct?

In the case of lower members of a cult, and the majority of society, they may not be aware when they are gas lighting someone, but that doesn't change the fact, that's what they're doing. For example, when they laugh at someone, and call them 'crazy', or a 'tinfoil hat nutter' for making objectively true statements such as "the government does not have our best interests at heart", or "the corporations are utilizing psychological methods to push people into spending exponentially more money on their products, which are exponentially degrading in quality, and quantity.".

You are likely correct about my initial use of the term, I'm not arguing that. I'm merely discussing the mainstream uses of the term; which you have deemed to be incorrect.
Just watch, 'Dangerous Crossing,' heh. You'll understand then. No hostilities meant here either, _at all_. I just am irked and slightly disturbed at times by what I experience, as a very rapid decline in people's communication skills lately. _That_ is a big enough issue to write several books probably.

The very recent and -new- trendy use of the word, is however incorrect. Again, it's just a matter of fact. Manipulation and deception, are employed in many different ways, by individuals, groups, organizations, governments, corporations. But the trendy misuse of that word is incorrect. I can't state it any other way, and I can't make it any more clear. People who wish to persist in ignorance, will do so, no one can control that.

The problem is touched on here.
also here at medium, also (I'm not a fan of medium, but here's some one elses opinion.)
here is some redditer bemoaning the same as me.

Anyway, cheers man. Best to you.

Last edited:
But the trendy misuse of that word is incorrect. I can't state it any other way, and I can't make it any more clear. People who wish to persist in ignorance, will do so, no one can control that.
You make some pretty blunt statements about the 'trendy use of the word' but have failed to address the scenarios, and examples that I've pointed out. I may watch that movie some time, but tbh, I'm in the process of having to sell 95% of everything I own so I can move across the province with what I have left, on a plane. So I'm not racing to watch it right now, or in the foreseeable future.

You see, the reason why so much of modern society is ignorant, blind, and unable to be persuaded by obvious truths, is because, due to the school system only pumping out factory/service workers, people aren't raised to be smart and think for themselves, and they're typically engineered to have simple, binary mindsets.

That said, there is rarely a blanket answer that covers every possible scenario. This is why I prefer to have my more specific questions addressed, as opposed to simply glossed over, and having the conversational opponent simply repeat their original stance.

There are some things that should definitely be simplified much more than they are, world peace, tearing down tyrannical hierarchys, the ability to squeeze more than 2 weeks of vacation into a year.. .etc. But the interpretations of the use of language, an ever evolving system of communication, should not be one to be over simplified (given that valid points are made).

And so, in closing. If people are made by those around them, to feel as if their truths (the real truths) are 'crazy', then does that not count as gas lighting? It may be engineered, but unless you can think of a better word/phrase for it.. Also yes, brainwashing is one part of it, but I don't believe that this system of oppression is nearly that simple. They use many different tools to get people to do what they want, or to not do anything at all.

You make some pretty blunt statements about the 'trendy use of the word' but have failed to address the scenarios, and examples that I've pointed out. I may watch that movie some time, but tbh, I'm in the process of having to sell 95% of everything I own so I can move across the province with what I have left, on a plane. So I'm not racing to watch it right now, or in the foreseeable future.

You see, the reason why so much of modern society is ignorant, blind, and unable to be persuaded by obvious truths, is because, due to the school system only pumping out factory/service workers, people aren't raised to be smart and think for themselves, and they're typically engineered to have simple, binary mindsets.

That said, there is rarely a blanket answer that covers every possible scenario. This is why I prefer to have my more specific questions addressed, as opposed to simply glossed over, and having the conversational opponent simply repeat their original stance.

There are some things that should definitely be simplified much more than they are, world peace, tearing down tyrannical hierarchys, the ability to squeeze more than 2 weeks of vacation into a year.. .etc. But the interpretations of the use of language, an ever evolving system of communication, should not be one to be over simplified (given that valid points are made).

And so, in closing. If people are made by those around them, to feel as if their truths (the real truths) are 'crazy', then does that not count as gas lighting? It may be engineered, but unless you can think of a better word/phrase for it.. Also yes, brainwashing is one part of it, but I don't believe that this system of oppression is nearly that simple. They use many different tools to get people to do what they want, or to not do anything at all.
good luck man..

In answer to the question, I quote, so you know: "If people are made by those around them, to feel as if their truths (the real truths) are 'crazy', then does that not count as gas lighting?" I respond with the following.

Yes, if their is a conspiracy to render some one as deemed crazy/insane. And, no, if there is not a conspiracy to render some one as deemed crazy/insane. If that is your understanding of the word, however, both would appear to be gaslighting.

In example:
If a wife, decides to employ various tactics of deceit and manipulation, during a divorce case, to win custody of the children, her husband's pension, and some child support. Then she could be said to be gaslighting her husband, if he can prove that she employed a conspiracy to do so.

If a christian, tries to convince an atheist, his lack of belief in a god is wrong and crazy, or vice versa, that is not gaslighting.

So, in this case, it depends on your understanding of what a word means.

In the case of understanding what a word means, all we have is etymology.

Etymology is the history of a word's origins.

And as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to argue with you, man. Good luck. You are doing a brave thing by my estimation. Hopefully you make a better life for yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back