My "become more social" plan

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tusk

Reaction score
Hi, I've created a plan for myself inspired by the book "59 seconds: think a little, change a lot", maybe it's super-silly or overly mechanical, but I'd love some feedback. Is the plan sound, is there something I can add or remove to get closer to my goal? Something you think I should reconsider? I'd prefer the plan to actually be step-by-step, instead of all the steps at the same time. But I feel the steps don't lend themselves to that.

So, here it is:

My overall goal is to connect better with people, to form more relationships (friends, girlfriends), but mostly to find a partner I love and like.

Step 1:
My first sub-goal is to smile more at people and give them friendly eye-contact so that I can easily get eye-contact and a smile back. This will make them feel better about me, and more open to a relationship.
I believe I can achieve this goal because it’s easy to practice (outside, I don’t have to be afraid of having to talk) and can gradually make it part of day-to-day businesses
To achieve this sub-goal, I will smile and make eye-contact with people on the streets, on the subway, in work, in shops. Whenever possible, I shouldn’t shy my eyes away or frown. I will also revise my appearance so that I’m sure I look friendly and inviting, and a bit flirtatious, so I get the best (appropriate) smile, the best amount of eye-contact.
This will be achieved by the following date 08/01/12
My reward for achieving this will be a tour with a personal shopper to get some nice clothes

Step 2:
My second sub-goal is to make my apartment more inviting socially.
I believe I can achieve this goal because I can get inspiration from home magazines, pictures, etc. It’s also easy to dish out the money and I like a cozy apartment.
To achieve this sub-goal, I will get the furniture, TV with some kind of console. Have things to play, things to watch, things to read. Board games, rubik’s cube, stuff like that. It should also be stocked with different kinds of alcohols, other things to drink (coffee, etc). A good music system.
This will be achieved by the following date 07/01/12
My reward for achieving this will be throwing a party for old and new friends and colleagues.

Step 3:
My third sub-goal is to meet more people 1on1 in different settings, at least 20 new persons every two weeks
I believe I can achieve this goal because I’m interested in trying out new hobbies and things to do, and I like talking to people
To achieve this sub-goal, I will continue talking to new girls on dating sites, maybe sign up to more pages (even non-dating oriented, like meetup). I will try to spend as little time as possible alone at home, preferring reading and eating outside, going to events, etc. Be very open to proposals to hang out. I will take different classes that interest me.
This will be achieved by the following date 10/01/12
My reward for achieving this will be 10 movies I find interesting, funny, whatever. A bit more “complex” movies

Step 4:
My fourth sub-goal is to become better at striking up conversations with strangers and carry on a conversation, to become a better conversationalist. The goal is to have at least 10 non-work related conversations that are longer than at least 2 back-and-forth every day that I feel have been successful and not awkward.
I believe I can achieve this goal because I usually have things to relate with
To achieve this sub-goal, I will study to become a better conversationalist, try to identify why conversations can go awkward. Get rid of nervousness and learn how to approach people (and how to do that often), and especially people I haven’t talked much to/strangers
This will be achieved by the following date 10/01/12
My reward for achieving this will be two days off-work

Step 5:
My fifth sub-goal is to become a more interesting person, short term: to attend at least 7 areas of interest (going to cafés to read, work on projects, playing an instrument, make music, take some classes, working) and minimize the amount of time on the Internet to 3 hours/day. long term: go on events, skiing, ice skating, concerts, travel at least once every two months
I believe I can achieve this goal because I’m interested in many different things, and I’m bored with sitting home often. I’ve done that already.
To achieve this sub-goal, I will push for more events, be more outgoing, be open to doing things and trying things out. I will stop sitting at the computer by default and I will have a system for getting to know about new events and things to do (ie, know which movies are coming up, if there’s a band playing, or other things to do and try out)
This will be achieved by the following date 06/01/12
My reward for achieving this will be a trip to some place close by train or car, sleep at a hotel. go tourist, invite a friend to go with me

I think this is great! You obviously have studied goal setting. I am gathering you got the format from your book?

Okay I have some thoughts but they are just coming from me so maybe I don't know better. To me meeting 20 new people every two weeks would be exhausting and probably impossible. Also, I know, for me 10 conversations a day would be impossible. But I don't live your life. Perhaps you are in an environment where that can happen.

I am trying varous meet up groups I like and I am excited about them but be prepared for more work, more time management, planning, etc. Sometimes that work will lead to something you want and sometimes it will not. Like last Saturday I went to a meetup and I didn't feel that great about it. Okay, not great because I didn't identify anyone who might be a possible friend.

Of course you must give a situation time to feel more comfortable and develop connections.

I love the smile more stuff because that is how anyone really makes a friend by being open.

I really love the making your apartment open for visitors. I am working on that, too. I realized that having a living space you are comfortable with having others over is so key to making new friends.

Good luck and please share your progress...good and bad days.

Barbaloot said:
Good luck.

Pezza said:
Good Luck Tusk :)

HappyYogi said:
I think this is great! You obviously have studied goal setting. I am gathering you got the format from your book?

Okay I have some thoughts but they are just coming from me so maybe I don't know better. To me meeting 20 new people every two weeks would be exhausting and probably impossible. Also, I know, for me 10 conversations a day would be impossible. But I don't live your life. Perhaps you are in an environment where that can happen.

I am trying varous meet up groups I like and I am excited about them but be prepared for more work, more time management, planning, etc. Sometimes that work will lead to something you want and sometimes it will not. Like last Saturday I went to a meetup and I didn't feel that great about it. Okay, not great because I didn't identify anyone who might be a possible friend.

Of course you must give a situation time to feel more comfortable and develop connections.

I love the smile more stuff because that is how anyone really makes a friend by being open.

I really love the making your apartment open for visitors. I am working on that, too. I realized that having a living space you are comfortable with having others over is so key to making new friends.

Good luck and please share your progress...good and bad days.

Thanks! Yeah, it's straight from the book. They didn't provide any examples so I'm not sure about the granularity of the 'steps', whether they're too large.
You bring up a valid point; maybe the terms need to be defined better. I should also try to measure my current status, to see what numbers are realistic. In this case, I think "meeting 20 new people" means to have a small conversation like talking a bit more with the cashier, asking a librarian which books are good, etc. The "10 conversations per day" can also be of the same size. But this one is more tricky; what if you talk to the same person many times over the course of a day? Any help with defining the steps better is welcome. :)

I've been thinking about meetups, but I'm afraid I'd be all desperate to get to know people so I'd either be all over the place or stay in a corner by myself. What do you do in the meet ups? And how do you identify people who might be friend material?

I can move this into the diary forum when I've committed to the plan, maybe that'll also push me into reaching the goals. The key is measurability.

I hope you accomplish what you want, Tusk. Glad you have a plan and are being active about helping yourself. That's doing more than what a lot of other people are doing in this world. Go you.

I think that it is great that you have set goals! That's the best first step you could take...
Just be honest with yourself and them. Remember you're not weird everyone is weird. A lot of people think they are the only one that acts the way that they do and in all reality they aren't. And if you are different in some way, so what? That's what makes you special! Differences are a great thing not a bad thing!

I think you have a pretty good grip on things with your goals. Good luck!

My Lounge Act said:
Great idea. I might try something similar myself! :)
Do it! Research a reasonable plan, and then commit to it. I think you have to really believe the steps you define will take you closer to your goal, which is a problem for me. For example, I'm feeling ambivalent with regards to the "talk to many people"-step; I even think that if I become a guy that talks to every person around, smiles like crazy, etc. I might actually scare away cute girls. So I need to resolve that ambivalence before I commit.

Latest posts

Back