My cure for SHYNESS

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but that's not a good way either. Well, actually I find being around people who are the opposite helps bring me out of my shell a bit.

Haha. As soon as I saw the title of this topic I planned to come in and write, "I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Alcohol". It works for me.

As for being around people who are the opposite of me, that just makes me feel alienated, and makes it worse, if anything.

I cannot speak for all scenarios and I do not know if you're referring to a relationship or friendship only, but finding a topic you are very passionate about can possibly help. In personal conversations when hit on a particular topic I am very animated.

Alcohol might help entertain other people, but this is not a true resolution either to break away from shyness.

hey there
not really..no better way for it..but alcohol doesn't seem to me the best solution either
try to accept it..it's a lot easier to live with it if you accept it..i know i'm on my way to get to that point when i can live with it
good luck :)

Well, alcohol helps you get over those initial boundaries. Then once you have got to know people, you can meet them sober, and it's easier.

I find that adrenaline is a good cure for it. I notice when I am skiing I am way more social. Endorphines are a good cure as well. Once again when I am working out or out playing DDR I tend to be less shy.

There is also lack of sleep.... however, that is the same effect as being drunk.

Set a goal. The next time you hit the bar scene make eye contact with strangers and smile. Do this before drinking. Then the day after do the same exact thing expect add only a word or two. ( hello or hey there) That tells you how easily a conversation can get going. It's something you need to realize.

From there on its all about accepting that shyness and anticipation/excitement feels exactly the same.

A better way would be to just keep forcing yourself to get out there. By repeatedly training yourself to be less shy, you will learn how to be more open and less reclusive in dealing with others. Face your fear directly, don't try to sidestep it with alcohol.

Alcohol never really helped me. I just ended up being the person who always smells like alcohol when he talks to you or in a party/bar type setting, the person who never bothers to talk to you unless he has been drinking.

Alcohol works wonders for me, without it there'd be no way that I end up with an extremely hot woman OR an entirely awkward situation, both are totally worth it. Of course though there's always blacking out or acting in some outrageous way that either nets me a date or a "you're insane" reply. Thinking back on it, public nudity wouldn't usually be an option without a few shots.

Either way though a new pair of shoes, outfit and a fresh haircut works the best for me....right before getting a few bombs, beers, and shots.

It's good to use honey to catch flies but it's better to be fly to catch honies :3

What helped me in the past was working at the library on campus. I had to interact/help a lot of people daily and it helped me become less shy. I think practicing talking to people you don't know helps build up confidence make you less shy...but once you stop you become shy again >.<

While I love alcohol, I'd be careful with using alcohol as a social crutch -- I've seen quite a few people turn into alcoholics that way. One guy told me he felt people would only like him if he drank. He felt drinking made everyone love him. He could have whomever he wanted with alcohol.

Alcohol is not an easy fix for shyness. If it were, I wouldn't be on a site for lonely people. ;)

Latest posts

Back