My enemy is myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the Black Friday sales going on last month I bought myself a Kindle Oasis that was originally being sold for a shade less than $350 but I got it for $170. I got to admit it works great and I have been doing quite a bit of reading on it but I still miss holding a book in my hand. It is an adjustment I am still learning to make.

I know that there is a New Year’s thread but it didn’t get a lot of activity since last year at this time so I will post mine here. It has to do with more adjustments I made.

A wise woman in here, wiser than I am in just about everything gave me some very good advice some years back. She told me that I get in trouble because I have a tendency to act like I know what people are thinking. Yes, well ok but even a blind squirrel can find an acorn at times. But I do FULLY understand what she meant. Also, don’t make assumptions about people if they say or do something to you because there may be a reason why it happened that I don’t know about.

Well I did that this year and I didn’t forget that advice. Let’s say a joke was made at my expense. Before I’d get mad and think about it for days. Now I just get up and leave. Or sometimes I am invited to lunch. Sometimes I am not. It’s not something I dwell on anymore. I said to myself why should I think about that stuff? My well being is a lot more important to me and how I make myself feel so I can approach each day with a semblance of a positive attitude. Maybe I don’t do it every day but I did it a lot. That is how I approach everyone and that is in my real life and in here.

The names may change but the frustration is the same for me and I have to stop and wonder what really goes on and why things like that happen consistently. Well, it's ok. Things happen.

Tomorrow I will wrap up this thread for another year as I will be taking off again. Next holiday season I will be back but let's not rush it because there's no sense in that.

I want to say goodbye to TheRealCallie who was once again a true friend.

I missed you Bee and I hope wherever you are that you are doing well.

I also missed Serenia and Ladyforsaken or maybe it was the other way around. Maybe they got busy when they saw me here. Still, best of luck to you and have a safe and healthy new year. It certainly has to be better than this year. Enjoy and have fun.

Have a good year Amy. Thanks for being so nice to me.

BeyondShy said:
I also missed Serenia and Ladyforsaken or maybe it was the other way around. Maybe they got busy when they saw me here. Still, best of luck to you and have a safe and healthy new year. It certainly has to be better than this year. Enjoy and have fun.

Hope I'm not too late, saw your PM but indeed I got interrupted before I could reply. It's very nice of you to remember and check in each time.

Take care and best wishes for the new year. I hope it will be a good one for you. Till you check in again, stay safe. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Hope I'm not too late, saw your PM but indeed I got interrupted before I could reply. It's very nice of you to remember and check in each time.

Take care and best wishes for the new year. I hope it will be a good one for you. Till you check in again, stay safe. :)

No, you were not late. Thank you for saying hi and I hope you have a wonderful new year.

And that goes for everyone in here. Just because 2020 is approaching its end does not mean we can drop our guard against this virus. Hopefully next year at this time and I should also add well before this time the corona virus will be a nothing but a bad memory and our mask wearing days will be done. That sounds good to me.

See you the next time the holidays come around.

So my birthday was on Monday, and while it's not in itself a holiday... it did coincide with Labor Day this year. :)
My pictures don't seem to be working, the forum changed and now they just show up as links...

Can't edit the others but I'll figure out how this works...

Labor-Day-2021-1024x512.png

Hope you're having a good year! :)

I'm only 5'1", but dear Dad called me 'Mighty Mouse'. I'm glad he did because he removed all notion I was lesser than those around me. He also taught never to compare myself with others. Except importantly - to learn how to adapt when feeling alone.

Dad knew he was dying and so did I. In the short time he had left he taught me how to adapt to the loneliness I would feel after he passed away. There began a steady working in me, though it depended on my perspective. I can be alone and be lonely, or I can be alone and enjoy the quiet time and the chance I have to reflect, meditate, be introspective - or go for a hike and become extrovert. Over the years of emptiness since Dad passed, all I had were his words of wisdom. They are written down, too, in a series of letters that arrived on my Birthday, one letter pre-dated by him and given to his lawyer to send out. Call it a Time Capsule.

Now I realise that loneliness is a very strong feeling that can be debilitating and difficult to live with. It affects a person to the depths of their soul, for in loneliness one sees oneself as being rejected by other people who would rather be with someone else - anyone else, we often tell ourselves. That somehow we're unacceptable, undesirable, unlovable. We have plenty of time to be alone to tell ourselves all these negative things about ourselves. Except we have a choice - to get out there and make an effort.

This is what I did: Make effort. Instead of wallowing in self pity staying at home, I joined outdoor clubs to do things I never thought were possible.

Like abseiling. Abseiling put the shits up me.

But it taught me that I was capable of dealing with FEAR. And that abseiling experienced snowballed all those negative feelings to improve myself. To be a better woman capable of anything - even sailing in rough seas and dealing with the fear of drowning when crewing an 88ft sloop in a Force 10 gale and swells 6 feet high or more.

It's all out there, you know. But you have get off your arse and do something about your loneliness.

Anna Mouse
Your father sounds like he was amazing. And so do you.

Thank you for writing this.

Amazing. I took off a year ago and this thread still got some use. I have no complaints about that. It was just surprising when I came back and I saw the additional posts.

Well, let me try to catch up with what I have been doing this year. Basically I have been working and minding my own business but I still managed to have fun every once in a while. We have had a lot of rain here recently and it still has been but it has been better than before. Virus cases have been very high just like the rest of the country and now that I say that I hope that you all in here are safe and that goes for all of you whether you know me or not or if you can take me or leave me and 99% of you have no use for me.

I want to say hi to a wonderful friend in here who has given me the gift of friendship and the wisdom that she has passed on to me through private messages and talking in the chat room. I hope you had a very good year Jen and that next year is a lot better for you and for everyone else. I have two things I want to tell you Jen. One thing you will not want to use the club on me and the other one you will want to kill me.:)

Special shout outs go to Serenia and Ladyforsaken, both who never seem to see me until my last day here. Also a nice warm hello to Amy. Or maybe I should say a cold hello because she lives way up there in Canada about 5 miles from the North Pole. Her kids are visited by Santa every year by default!;)

Finally I want to say hello to itsmylife (Bee) because we never had a chance last year to talk.

Anyone else that I have forgotten please forgive me and above all I hope all of you have a great holiday.

Welcome back.

Hope all's been going well with you and you've been managing to avoid the virus.

And that you have a happy holiday season, and a happy new year!

How do you like that? This comment? From you? I mean do you remember me at all?

But things have been going ok. Not wonderful, but ok. Enjoy your holidays too.

How do you like that? This comment? From you? I mean do you remember me at all?

Hover your mouse over the little "Like" button on the left side of "Reply". From there you can pick what kind of reaction you want. The site is under a new format now that has a few more new features, if you take a look around.

And yes, I do remember you, and I hope you've been managing as best as a person can, in times like these.

Hover your mouse over the little "Like" button on the left side of "Reply". From there you can pick what kind of reaction you want. The site is under a new format now that has a few more new features, if you take a look around.

And yes, I do remember you, and I hope you've been managing as best as a person can, in times like these.
No, I did not mean that at all. What I meant was I was amazed that you said what you said to me of all people. But that's ok.

Latest posts

Back