My lack of human touch & self isolation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a conversation I had with someone (I am red and they are green) that I think sums up my predicament about my lack of human touch and my own self isolation fairly well.
Untitled594_20220720230841.png

(please read first before the rest of the post for context)
ーーーーーーーーーー
some other things that might be helpful to know that I didn't say in the conversation is that hugs are something I am not comfortable with for an entirely different reason. additionally, I cannot be in a relationship (which would seem to be the easiest solution to this lack of human touch) because of mental health and not having enough time to compromise for another person.
If you want me to clear up or elaborate on something I'd be more than happy to do so.
But what would you do in this situation if anything at all? Do you think it will be fine if I continue to be like this for a few more years, and perhaps the desire for human touch is nothing more than a want than a need? or should I try to find a workaround where I can experience human touch without the rest of these feelings making it possibly uncomfortable for myself or the other person? Thanks so much for taking the time to read this or even respond, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:
There is something to human touch. It's extreme rare for someone to touch me. It's been way more then a decade since I hugged anybody. So, when someone touches me I almost jump. I've always had a large personal space. But, I'm definitely more sensative now.

I've know others who really liked hands. Hands are really cool. For some reason I really like looking at monkey hands. Ha! ha!

As far as touching other people, I don't know. I would say maybe try to do it more without the rest of the feelings. Or, go ahead and experience the feelings but don't let them show unless you believe it's appropriate to do so. I know I've hugged a few women and got a hole hell of a lot more out of it then I should have. But, I'm fairly sure they didn't know though. Or, maybe they did and enjoyed knowing that without acknowledging it.

yeah i feel the same way about being really sensitive to touch because it's become so uncommon for me :0

oh for sure, i don't think i could let myself reveal that part of myself to others unless i wanted them to be my partner or something. :V im good at hiding it, its just more or less uncomfortable when i feel something i dont want to in a purely platonic relationship if that makes sense...

thanks so much for taking the time to reply, the people here seem to be so nice ^_^

There is something to human touch. It's extreme rare for someone to touch me. It's been way more then a decade since I hugged anybody. So, when someone touches me I almost jump. I've always had a large personal space. But, I'm definitely more sensative now.

I've know others who really liked hands. Hands are really cool. For some reason I really like looking at monkey hands. Ha! ha!

As far as touching other people, I don't know. I would say maybe try to do it more without the rest of the feelings. Or, go ahead and experience the feelings but don't let them show unless you believe it's appropriate to do so. I know I've hugged a few women and got a hole hell of a lot more out of it then I should have. But, I'm fairly sure they didn't know though. Or, maybe they did and enjoyed knowing that without acknowledging it.
My immediate reaction is to flinch. Doesn't matter who it is either - Grace Park could put her arm around me and I'd still recoil.

Im craving for juman touch, hugs, hold hands but ONLY from a partner.
When I was young (25) I often thought how my mom and grandma could live without touch (love touch) and now I suffered that same 😪.
The need of a caress in my head, in my face, in my hands is needed as I need drink water but….

Im craving for juman touch, hugs, hold hands but ONLY from a partner.
When I was young (25) I often thought how my mom and grandma could live without touch (love touch) and now I suffered that same 😪.
The need of a caress in my head, in my face, in my hands is needed as I need drink water but….
I wish someone would invent something that would satisfy those feelings. As far as I can figure out it only comes from other humans.

I was thinking about going to snuggle parties just to get some human touch. But, as I looked into them further they were typically men interested in other men. I know it's not sexual, atleast on the surface. But, still touch from the opposite sex means so much more.

My immediate reaction is to flinch. Doesn't matter who it is either - Grace Park could put her arm around me and I'd still recoil.
Is that all people, family included, or just people you aren't familiar with? I've never understood those people who want to hug you every time they see you or people who touch you on your back or arms during a conversation. What about romantic relationships? Do you recoil from physical touch if not initiated by you?

Is that all people, family included, or just people you aren't familiar with? I've never understood those people who want to hug you every time they see you or people who touch you on your back or arms during a conversation. What about romantic relationships? Do you recoil from physical touch if not initiated by you?
Usually. My family were never hugging sorts of people, although I’d hug my mother occasionally. Never had a romantic partner but I imagine it would be the same with them. It would take some time to get used to that. And I hate the idea of touching someone when they don't want to be touched (the feeling of shame and rejection).

Last edited:
Don't really enjoy the touchy, feely people much when it's too often. That being said, it's very enjoyable with an SO. If you don't mind me asking, what issues are we talking about? Human closeness is an important part of mental health in an of itself.

fear of touch? my friend, my body does not even exist anymore. we need touch, but dont touch yourself, touch a dog, touch a book and a pen, touch on your own volition. think of other stuff, or just be a playa.

Latest posts

Back