new here and alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knestida

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not too good at expressing how I feel since I've never talked about it before but I'll try my best.

I'm 16, which I think is sort of young for this forum. I've read many posts and I'm pretty sure people on here are much older than me but I thought I should just give it a go.

I've been feeling lonely since I was about 13. I used to cry in toilet stalls at school because of how alone and isolated I felt. I'd come home and cry alone in my bedroom, then at night I'd cry myself to sleep. I've never told anyone about this.

Now, I have a few people I hang out with at school, but we don't talk much outside of that. We don't even talk much in school. I've always been the person who texts first, but its upsetting when they don't make that effort too, so now I feel us drifting apart, and that scares me because I don't want to go back to how I used to be. Also, I moved countries about 5 years ago so I've lost contact with everyone from my childhood. No one has been a constant in my life apart from my family. I get really anxious, so I don't talk to my friends about how I feel because I don't know what they would say. I'm also uncomfortable sharing how I feel with them because they wouldn't understand. They're quite extroverted and get along well with everyone, whereas I'm more reserved. They just haven't had the same experiences as me.

Anyways, I hope I didn't sound too much like a whiny teenager. I just hope that I can find some people on here to talk to and interact with.

Thanks for reading  :rolleyes:

There are quite a few younger people here, so don't worry about your age.

One thing I will say is not to assume you know what someone else's life is like. They may appear that they have no issues, but some people are pretty good at hiding it, only showing it behind closed doors.

Have you talked to your family about your feelings? I don't know how things work where you live, but maybe you can go to the doctor for meds or therapy to try to resolve the issues you have. Are you in any clubs, groups or even sports? Try new things, get new hobbies, find something that will help you feel more accepted and okay with yourself.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the community. I don't know how I can help. But I'm always willing to try. I used to move every 4 years when I was about your age. I not going to lie to you and say I know how you feel because times are different. I hope you can find your way to a more positive outlook for life in this community.

TheRealCallie said:
There are quite a few younger people here, so don't worry about your age. 

One thing I will say is not to assume you know what someone else's life is like.  They may appear that they have no issues, but some people are pretty good at hiding it, only showing it behind closed doors.

Have you talked to your family about your feelings?  I don't know how things work where you live, but maybe you can go to the doctor for meds or therapy to try to resolve the issues you have.  Are you in any clubs, groups or even sports?  Try new things, get new hobbies, find something that will help you feel more accepted and okay with yourself.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi there, 

I know that I shouldn’t assume that people have no problems, especially when I hide mine. I guess I just don’t feel close enough to anyone to talk about them. I once had a conversation with my brother because I think he had some mental health issues when he was my age, so I thought he would get it. He just told me to wait it out since its my last year at my school (I’m in year 11, I live in the UK). Next year I’m moving to a different school (hopefully) so I’ll try to get to know more people and maybe come out of my shell a little bit. Honestly, the thought of moving schools is the only thing getting me through this year. I really hate where I currently am.

As I mentioned before, I think my brother dealt with mental health issues when he was my age, however my parents are quite... reserved (not really sure how to describe them), so they never sent him to a doctor and he never got any help. He even had to redo a school year because of it. My parents have kinda talked to me about it, saying that he just had some ‘problems’. I don’t really ask about it because they tend to avoid the topic and change the subject. That whole experience put me off talking to them about it. He’s doing better now, thankfully :)

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, my school has cancelled all of the after school and lunch time clubs. Prior to that though, i used to attend a drumming club (we played the conga drums) and I even played in the school concert twice. It was quite fun, but after the drumming teacher left the school never found a new one :(. I think if they did I would still attend.

I think I should try to join a few anime communities online, since I would say that is my only hobby. I’m even planning on starting an anime journal (I think I’m obsessed haha).

Thank you for your reply.

DupBear said:
Welcome to the community. I don't know how I can help. But I'm always willing to try. I used to move every 4 years when I was about your age. I not going to lie to you and say I know how you feel because times are different. I hope you can find your way to a more positive outlook for life in this community.

Moving really does suck, but I think I’ve adapted to my new life here. Even if you don’t know how to help, I’m thankful that you even read my post and responded.

Thanks for your reply :).

Hi, welcome to the forum 😊
That's good that your brother is open to listening to you at least, even if he can't help much.
I know loneliness is especially painful at a young age, so please don't think people here won't take you seriously.
Yes, definitely try those communities online to find some people you have things in common with. Lots of friendships have been formed that way.

Hello. I was once a very isolated teenager myself. My life didn't really start until I graduated High School. I was shocked how different things were in the "real world." For me, at least, they were much better. You may find the same, so hang in there.

In the meantime, experiment with joining various school groups. I should have joined band, but I never even considered it at the time. Your school probably has clubs, etc., to check out that may provide good ways to meet people.

Latest posts

Back