Odd question about sexism

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJW

Reaction score
I have a project coming up. I'm going to need help. I can do all the mechanical stuff myself. It's the abstracts and the meetings that I'll need help with. Other things, but mostly just rudimentary tasks.

The question: Men and women do not think the same. As such I'd like to partner with a woman, someone that can bring a different perspective to the project.

I'm not soliciting applications here. I just want to know your view on me rejecting the male applicant (Why do I want someone that thinks like me?) and would it be sexist to advertise for women only if my reasons are purely intellectual?

Given that it's not technically employment, more of a internship thing, I'm not regulated by law. It's more of a moral issue.

Why do you assume that any man would think like you and not have a different perspective?

Morality and sexism aside, I wouldn't advertise anything as "woman only wanted", it sounds distinctly serial killer-ish. If you're sure you only want a woman for this project, I'd just do what everybody else does when they have this bias - advertise as being open to anyone, and then just toss out any applications from people you're not interested in.

And why should any woman think not like you? I met women who think different and men who think the same.

I also think thay advertise 'woman only' is weird in this case. And I so think you can loose some possibilities rejecting men.

It's not that I wouldn't take on a man. My personal experience is I've always been good friends with women. The relationships seem to be easy and lasting. Male relations seem to dissolve in competitive differences. That and I've only had one male friend that didn't stab me in the back.

So maybe the idea of a woman as a partner is more about trust than cognitive differences, though I do believe a female view would be beneficial.

It's a sensitive concept that needs a degree of secrecy. If I have to cut someone loose I would be uneasy about someone having all the information but leave me with nothing to assure their compliance to the nondisclosure agreement. I cannot impress upon you the damage an information leak could cause.

Maybe this was premature. I'm not launching until spring. More information will be available by the time I actually need someone. The only clue I have for you currently is it is about fighting climate change. It will seriously disrupt the profits of a good many powerful companies.

I want someone that can do well what I do poorly and stick with the project throughout. My experience says I'd work better with a woman. Not any woman, just as not every man would be wrong. But how do I know?

I am not an abstract thinker. I am wholly a mechanical logic sort of person. I don't do well outside of my workshop.

I don't have to advertise for a woman, and when I say advertise I don't mean a help wanted ad. I'm not sure how I'll approach it yet, which is sort of why I posted this thread. Some input from men and women could be helpful.

I'm just thinking out loud.

It's not that I wouldn't take on a man. My personal experience is I've always been good friends with women. The relationships seem to be easy and lasting. Male relations seem to dissolve in competitive differences. That and I've only had one male friend that didn't stab me in the back.

So maybe the idea of a woman as a partner is more about trust than cognitive differences, though I do believe a female view would be beneficial.

It's a sensitive concept that needs a degree of secrecy. If I have to cut someone loose I would be uneasy about someone having all the information but leave me with nothing to assure their compliance to the nondisclosure agreement. I cannot impress upon you the damage an information leak could cause.

Maybe this was premature. I'm not launching until spring. More information will be available by the time I actually need someone. The only clue I have for you currently is it is about fighting climate change. It will seriously disrupt the profits of a good many powerful companies.

I want someone that can do well what I do poorly and stick with the project throughout. My experience says I'd work better with a woman. Not any woman, just as not every man would be wrong. But how do I know?

I am not an abstract thinker. I am wholly a mechanical logic sort of person. I don't do well outside of my workshop.

I don't have to advertise for a woman, and when I say advertise I don't mean a help wanted ad. I'm not sure how I'll approach it yet, which is sort of why I posted this thread. Some input from men and women could be helpful.

I'm just thinking out loud.
I wouldn't state that your only looking for a particular gender. If you're interviewing people, I'd keep your options open and see how people perform in the interview, try going into it assuming nothing because of their gender.

As a cisgendered female, my personal friendships seems to gravitate towards men and LGBT people instead of other cisgendered women, for some reason. So I have a favorable bias for those people. But I don't like being biased, so I try not to let that past experience get in the way of my decision making. I just wait and see how people act.

I'd keep your options open and see how people perform in the interview, try going into it assuming nothing because of their gender.
Thanks, Nabbit. That's sensible. I've been stewing over so much with this project. Currently I'm all alone and out of my league. I have so much to do before I can walk out the door with this. I'm left to puzzle it out between varnish coats, so I'm not able to put my all into it just yet. It's frustrating to have something bigger than me, but it waits because my wife wants her kitchen remodeled.

I mean, did Edison wait to invent the light bulb because Mary wanted indoor plumbing added to the house? I think not!

I see both sides of it. You want what you want and there's not much fault in that, but at the same time, you can't know who the perfect partner will be if you don't interview all types of people.

you can't know who the perfect partner will be if you don't interview all types of people.
I think I'm leaning toward just talking to people. If someone shows an interest in the project then I'll vet them further.

The position will require time on the road with me, months in the least. It's expenses paid but that's about it. Sort of like a Green Peace volunteer. Rewarding, not enriching.

It's a mission. They have to love Earth.

More on this after I get some of the archetypes built.

It would be sexism imho if the role was inherently geared towards either sex. For instance, in gynaeological practices, the nurse attended to the woman is often female, even if the doctor is male.
If the role you're advertising intrisincally requires a female, then it won't be sexist.

Latest posts

Back