Out of phase

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaku

Reaction score
Lately I've been feeling out of phase with the world. Like I occupy the same plane as others but slightly parralel.

For example today I had to go to the shop to buy food for my dogs and while driving I had this strange feeling of being out of place. Other cars would turn into the road right in front of me from a side street like they didn't see me. Another car locked its breaks and almost hit me from behind at a traffic light; again like they didn't see me.

At the shop the same happened with two different people that bumped into me from the side, they would apologize and say they didn't see me, also strangely, not making eye contact.
I stood at at the register for what felt like 5 minutes before the lady noticed me, even after I tried to get her attention verbally. Also strangely she made no eye contact.

I think the isolation is getting to me. Have I become so isolated that I'm irrelevant? I feel like a ghost, and that others feel like their being haunted by my presence haha. And I keep dreaming nightly about living in the 1950's. I'm always in a club wearing a suit, and smoking a cigarette, while a band plays and a lady sings a lovely song. She actually makes eye contact with me, like I exist.

I'm more real in my dreams than in real life.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reality is not what is out there. It's what is processed in our brains through synapses and chemicals. Every sense every millisecond takes millions of acts to process. Sometimes it can skip a beat, but there has to be something there so it can fill in what's missing with psudo reality.

Wow, talk about fluid. Our brains are so elastic even what we know can become confuddled.

People are inattentive That they didn't notice you isn't hard to believe. Keep in mind they have likely gone through isolation too. They could be out of practice for visual acknowledgment.

As for the dream, it likely played on your concern of being out of phase. Dreams don't get fed through our "reality processor." Dreams are virtually real as we dream them. It's only by considering them after we wake that we understand they were dreams. Your dream actually sounds pretty cool. Color or film noir?

If you want to test if you are truly unseen try doing something that would shock others. If you can walk out of a bank with the contents of the safe that would certainly suggest a phase disruption.

Of course, I'm not beyond the concept that you are sharing two times, now and the 50s dream. I'd love to know there are unknown things that pulverize our understanding of reality. Philadelphia Experiment stuff.

Life is boring. Use this to spice it up. But stay out of the vaults.

I kind of know what you mean, it's like you don't feel part of the system that you can see. I often feel like this when out & about in a populated area like town or the supermarket. To me it's easy to see how society has distance themselves from everyone else and are literally in a world of their own, of course not everyone is like this but definitely the majority, or at least where I live.

If it's something that effects your emotions it could be that you have 'dissociation' which I've looked into before. But chances are it's playing on you because of the way you feel about being isolated or lonely, and it might not be as bad as you're imagining it.

Reality is not what is out there. It's what is processed in our brains through synapses and chemicals. Every sense every millisecond takes millions of acts to process. Sometimes it can skip a beat, but there has to be something there so it can fill in what's missing with psudo reality.

Wow, talk about fluid. Our brains are so elastic even what we know can become confuddled.

People are inattentive That they didn't notice you isn't hard to believe. Keep in mind they have likely gone through isolation too. They could be out of practice for visual acknowledgment.

As for the dream, it likely played on your concern of being out of phase. Dreams don't get fed through our "reality processor." Dreams are virtually real as we dream them. It's only by considering them after we wake that we understand they were dreams. Your dream actually sounds pretty cool. Color or film noir?

If you want to test if you are truly unseen try doing something that would shock others. If you can walk out of a bank with the contents of the safe that would certainly suggest a phase disruption.

Of course, I'm not beyond the concept that you are sharing two times, now and the 50s dream. I'd love to know there are unknown things that pulverize our understanding of reality. Philadelphia Experiment stuff.

Life is boring. Use this to spice it up. But stay out of the vaults.
To answer your question it was film noir.

There may be value in thinking about why that setting in the dream appeals to me. (It even made me look for clubs like that in the area, with a dress code you know, but couldn't find something similar.)

Strangely, I was alone in the dream, but it felt right. Maybe the suit shows that I'm in control of myself, organized, you know settled with who I am. The lovely song being performed may represent an emotional connection that I'm lacking. The woman seeing me may represent confirmation that I exist and hence some value, something that I seem to be losing hope of.

Mmm, food for thought.

I kind of know what you mean, it's like you don't feel part of the system that you can see. I often feel like this when out & about in a populated area like town or the supermarket. To me it's easy to see how society has distance themselves from everyone else and are literally in a world of their own, of course not everyone is like this but definitely the majority, or at least where I live.

If it's something that effects your emotions it could be that you have 'dissociation' which I've looked into before. But chances are it's playing on you because of the way you feel about being isolated or lonely, and it might not be as bad as you're imagining it.
You make a good point. I think it could be the law of attraction at work.

I feel isolated and alone and my mind is looking for confirmation of that, and is over emphasizing things that confirm it. Talk about your worst enemy.

Thank you for the reply, I was worried nobody would and what that would mean lol

Find yourself a hottie and suddenly everyone will take notice, at least by association, heh.

In seriousness though, I'm no stranger to the twilight zone. When you don't want to be noticed, you stick out like a sore thumb, and when you want to be noticed, even in the smallest degree, you feel as if you're a ghost.

I'm not a believer in psychics and the supernatural; but, I think all those, 'out there,' topics, speak to something that is, in fact, quite tangible, that affects most of us, in varying degrees, one way or another.

It's like we each give off an unconscious signal, of which, we don't seem to have very much control over, if any at all. I think there is a way to change that, I do; but, it's not the type of thing you can change by making a conscious effort, I don't think. Perhaps it's a bit like the tides of the ocean. You can't make the tide recede or come towards; but, if you study the tide long enough, learn to time it just right, you'll begin to know instinctively when the best time to shove off is, and when the best time to for searching for clams and shellfish is...

Knowledge doesn't always equate to experience though...

Now that you mention knowledge vs experience, I remember a time I felt similarly lonely and out of phase, and I ended up falling hard for the first person that gave me attention, and it ended up being a huge mistake. At the time it felt like god answering a prayer, but it turned out to be the other guy lol.

A person dying of thirst can rejoice in the discovery and consumption of the dirtiest water.

With the way the tide is now I should avoid searching for clams and shellfish because sharks could be about.

Last edited:
Sorry for replying to my own thread, just want to say that in that dream of the 1950's club the lady would be singing something like this: Strange - by Celeste or Sangue latino - Camila (Cidade Invísivel)

Latest posts

Back