People treat me odd, how do I find out why?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Lion

Reaction score
I was in the returns line of a retail store. There was one man in front of me, 40s something dude with a cart full of baby formula and other things. The attendant, a young girl in her early 20s, was attractive and smiling/friendly with him while processing his return.

The man leaves and I walk up to the counter with my return. Immediately she turns stone faced. Her entire demeanor changes. The friendly customer-service banter changes to one word commands. "Return?"  "Receipt?". "Card here". She didn't even say hi when I walked up.

Now this post is not an insult to the cashier, even though I do think her customer service needs work if she only gives friendly service to select people (I worked in the service industry myself for several years, was a manager, and one of my core principles is that all customers must be treated equally until they become a rude one). You cannot simply "turn on/off" your friendliness because person A behind the counter is handsome and Person B is fat. But I digress.

I'm more interested in self-discovery as to what I'm doing that makes people react this way around me. Is it the way I dress? Do I stink? Is it my face? I'd love to get a transparent answer on what I do wrong in public settings so I can work on changing it. But I have no idea how to get one.

Do I have to hire a "social consultant" to follow me around Wal-Mart for a few hours so they can send me a report that says "okay here's the problem, you smell X and dress Y and need to speak at this pitch while standing at this angle and yada yada" ?

I am not making a mountain out of a molehill. This is not one outlier example. This is my every day life. The moment I speak to anyone, in any context, the person just goes "Ewwww I just want this interaction to end asap".

As you only gave one example, I can only comment on that specifically. What were you returning? The first guy was returning baby food, so he automatically has an "in" because...."awww, babies are so cute" She could have been irritated because if it's a cart full of honeysuckle being returned, that was likely a long process. He could have been a "regular" so she feels she has to be nicer to him. Or maybe he was a fellow employee, so she "had" to be nicer or something. Or maybe he was family. Who knows, there could be a million reasons she was super nice to him and no nonsense with you.

As for if it's your appearance, I couldn't say since I have no idea what you look like or how you dress or smell. Do you think you smell?

TheRealCallie said:
As you only gave one example, I can only comment on that specifically.  What were you returning?  The first guy was returning baby food, so he automatically has an "in" because...."awww, babies are so cute"  She could have been irritated because if it's a cart full of honeysuckle being returned, that was likely a long process.  He could have been a "regular" so she feels she has to be nicer to him.  Or maybe he was a fellow employee, so she "had" to be nicer or something.  Or maybe he was family.  Who knows, there could be a million reasons she was super nice to him and no nonsense with you. 

As for if it's your appearance, I couldn't say since I have no idea what you look like or how you dress or smell.  Do you think you smell?

Yes, you make a good point. It's important to put things in perspective. Some men just radiate charisma or there could be more context to it.

I was returning a pair of pants. That's it. Though I would disagree that her service was simply "no nonsense". It wasn't efficient for the sake efficiency, it was "let's hurry this up because I can't stand to be near you" kind of vibes. She was downright rude in her persona.

Regarding my appearance: I have no idea where I am. I'm not Brad Pitt, but at the same time I see men at retail stores that weigh x10 what I do or dress even worse than me. I don't go shopping in a Tuxedo, though. 

That's why the idea of a social consultant is intriguing to me, it'd be cool to hire someone to analyze my behavior in social settings and tell me what I'm doing wrong. But cash is tight.

I really glad that you are curious about how others view you. I was super interested in that myself a couple decades ago. So, I did what I always do. I experiment. It can be fun. Try dressing different, acting different, smiling, not smiling, wearing hats, not wearing hats, change up your clothes several times, basically come across as many different people. Sometimes be aggressive, low key, slow, helpful, and caring. Then take mental notes about how you get treated at many different places using the same setup. Try to be as scientific about it as you can. 

For instance, I noticed a HUGE difference in how I got treated when I wore elevator shoes to easily breach 6 feet tall. Woman actually started approaching me especially the taller ones. I also noticed that people were more receptive to me when I was loud, friendly, and smiled while giving them compliments. That's why I now try to be completely invisible. Unfortunately I still smile so some people think that's an invitation to talk to me. I guess I should wear a mask to cover up my smile. But, I just don't like those **** things.  :)

Again, try to make it fun otherwise you won't do it for very long.

River Lion said:
I was in the returns line of a retail store. There was one man in front of me, 40s something dude with a cart full of baby formula and other things. The attendant, a young girl in her early 20s, was attractive and smiling/friendly with him while processing his return.

The man leaves and I walk up to the counter with my return. Immediately she turns stone faced. Her entire demeanor changes. The friendly customer-service banter changes to one word commands. "Return?"  "Receipt?". "Card here". She didn't even say hi when I walked up.

Now this post is not an insult to the cashier, even though I do think her customer service needs work if she only gives friendly service to select people (I worked in the service industry myself for several years, was a manager, and one of my core principles is that all customers must be treated equally until they become a rude one). You cannot simply "turn on/off" your friendliness because person A behind the counter is handsome and Person B is fat. But I digress.

I'm more interested in self-discovery as to what I'm doing that makes people react this way around me. Is it the way I dress? Do I stink? Is it my face? I'd love to get a transparent answer on what I do wrong in public settings so I can work on changing it. But I have no idea how to get one.

Do I have to hire a "social consultant" to follow me around Wal-Mart for a few hours so they can send me a report that says "okay here's the problem, you smell X and dress Y and need to speak at this pitch while standing at this angle and yada yada" ?

I am not making a mountain out of a molehill. This is not one outlier example. This is my every day life. The moment I speak to anyone, in any context, the person just goes "Ewwww I just want this interaction to end asap".

That’s unprofessional. I’ve worked in customer service too. And I was taught to serve all customers equally like you were. It may just be the cashier and her training or attitude. All customers give money so should be treated equally.

Well, I for one can tell you, that if, 'cash is tight,' and that comes through in your appearance; that could be part of the problem, lol.

Let's break this down.
1. it's a recurrent phenomena
2. it's a subjective experience (arguably everything is; but, if you are saying a man is 6 feet tall, we can measure him and come to a consensus)
3. you say cash is tight (which could mean you are well off but living beyond your means, or you not so well off, etc.. etc.. could mean a lot of different things. Some women won't want to give you the time of day unless you have a rolex, others woudn't care if you were a couch surfing pot head who could make her laugh and show her a good time (at least at that stage in her life))
4. you describe an experience with a woman; but, i'll assume your experiences with men are just as confusing.

So we know that it happens a lot. And you can confirm that, and I'm of a mind to agree with you that it does. That covers 1. I believe you that something is going on, beyond you being delusional.

It is however, a subjective experience. Different people have different levels of sensitivity at different times for different reasons. If some one's mother just slapped them before they went out shopping to get shoes, they might be more likely to view the cashier at the shoe store as being, 'hostile.' So here, we have some variables. Have you been sensitized? Or are you naturally sensitive? The result can be similar; but these are two different things, is either one possible? Secondly, is there some condition in your life that is, 'priming,' you? By, 'priming,' you, I mean in the way that example woman was slapped by her mother before shopping. Perhaps past experiences have primed you to feeling excluded, rejected, or mistreated. If we are primed in this way, often we may subconsciously invite more of this behavior (I don't know how you fix that, but at least being aware might help).

Thirdly we have things like your external appearance. The way you dress, your demeanor (are you a human among klingons? if so, you might be pissing a lot of people off and not knowing how to navigate the terrain), your posture, your facial expression, your smell, the way you look. Things like this can be absolutely exhausting to try and rule out and deal with; also, consider there are such things as punk rockers who probably smell, and probably don't have your problem; so we can rule this one out, for the most part, by being well groomed and well dressed. If you really wanted to investigate it further, you could attempt a make-over; a man needs to adjust his style from time to time, so long as it suits him. So, be well groomed, and decently dressed, and investigate any further without fussing too much.

For the third area, the opposite sex and the same sex, each have their own challenges. A woman knows, like a man, pretty quick, whether she finds some one favorable to her taste or not. This is not always true; I'm just speaking of the general goings on of the average everyday busy body, which is most people. People who believe first impressions count, tend to go off first impressions, and that's the majority. Some women will tend to give quite sheepish men a queer look and a shortness of encounter; they don't know what to do with a guy like that and at first they may react in a hostile manner because like any unexpected event, we jump a bit and get scared. Likewise, men, in perceiving weakness, will see you as a target to give a hard time, because it's quite likely some one else is giving them a hard time; and it's a natural tendency to, 'send the pain below,' for whatever god awful reason us monkeys can't figure out how not to do that. So, what I'm saying is, 'set and setting and actor.' You are the actor, then there is there set, then there is the setting. Some of that can be changed, what can't must be accepted or adapted to..

Lastly, it may be beyond your ability to figure this out on your own, at least from a traditional logical approach, because it might not be logical. It may be an entire array of all of these different things, arranged in symphonic way, that yield a particular result; such that, it is obscured.

I found once, that when I was in a certain state of mind, and felt generally, for the most part, agreeable to my peers in social settings, I acquired the habit of genuinely complimenting people. When I say genuinely, I mean that, by some miracle force within me, I had no control over, I was landing awesome, well received compliments (something I don't normally think to give people); I couldn't begin to know how to do that now, without it being awkward and forced, like trying to eat when you aren't hungry.

It's hard to be witty, funny, and generally spontaneous, on command; that can make it even harder than just accepting you aren't and waiting for the moment to come on it's own. So, I guess my point is that, some times it's circumstance. And despite people's best efforts to believe things like that can be altered by, 'changing how you think,' changing your, 'perspective,' I don't think it really works like that. I think that IS possible, to do those things; but, I think it's counter-intuitive at least 50% so, to believe we can. Sort of like the person who believes they are healthy because they take vitamins and starts to feel healthier. So what the fresia is my point?

...My point (if I have one) is that, yeah, I think, some times it's circumstance. It may not be your presentation, what you are wearing, your smell, even your posture or demeanor; it might be more, your, 'frequency.' Like if everyone you worked with suddenly started watching a new show on TV, independently of each other. Eventually they'd start realizing they are all watching the same show, and if you weren't watching it, you wouldn't be, 'in on it.' So maybe you'd start watching the show to, 'get in on it,' but you're getting in late, so you're still not, 'in.' So you're messed no matter what you do. It was a certain thing, at a certain time and place, and you had to be there, and you weren't, and it colors peoples interaction with you. Sometimes, maybe we just aren't, 'in the in.'

But, a smile, as hard as it can be to have one, a lightness of air, and perhaps a magical incantation of kindness, at the right time and the right moment, in the right circumstance, can probably win people over from time to time. It's probably easier to think of a genuine compliment to give some one when you are doing reasonably well and not so inwardly focused, than if you were spending the whole time thinking, 'what am I doing wrong?'

...and maybe if you are lucky enough, or perhaps wise enough, or shrewd enough, you can find a shortcut, and get ahead of everyone, far enough so, people will be friendly and you'll be friendly too.

River Lion said:
TheRealCallie said:
As you only gave one example, I can only comment on that specifically.  What were you returning?  The first guy was returning baby food, so he automatically has an "in" because...."awww, babies are so cute"  She could have been irritated because if it's a cart full of honeysuckle being returned, that was likely a long process.  He could have been a "regular" so she feels she has to be nicer to him.  Or maybe he was a fellow employee, so she "had" to be nicer or something.  Or maybe he was family.  Who knows, there could be a million reasons she was super nice to him and no nonsense with you. 

As for if it's your appearance, I couldn't say since I have no idea what you look like or how you dress or smell.  Do you think you smell?

Yes, you make a good point. It's important to put things in perspective. Some men just radiate charisma or there could be more context to it.

I was returning a pair of pants. That's it. Though I would disagree that her service was simply "no nonsense". It wasn't efficient for the sake efficiency, it was "let's hurry this up because I can't stand to be near you" kind of vibes. She was downright rude in her persona.

Regarding my appearance: I have no idea where I am. I'm not Brad Pitt, but at the same time I see men at retail stores that weigh x10 what I do or dress even worse than me. I don't go shopping in a Tuxedo, though. 

That's why the idea of a social consultant is intriguing to me, it'd be cool to hire someone to analyze my behavior in social settings and tell me what I'm doing wrong. But cash is tight.

Well evidently, it's something you are doing that is causing this. But it's good that you're this introspective. I think many people can be as humble, and take that as a cue.

Do you have any friends who can show you what you're doing wrong?

I'd agree that ther could be thousands of reasons why the cashier acted that eay in THIS situation. So maybe sometimes, it's only your impression. But you said it happens often.

Sometimes, there are situations I get along with everybody. I say the right things, people laugh and are obviously delighted. And there are other times everything I do seems to be wrong. It could be the same people, in a similar situation. Everything I say seems to be odd. Jokes don't work. No interest in talking, at least not with me. It's as if everything I'd touch would fall apart. I can't explain that, I just learned to accept it. But I have the impression the more I try in those situations, the more impossible it gets.

I know a man people have their problems with. He felt often rejected. He has mental issues, and he can't really comprehend social interactions and behavior. He told me lately that once he stopped wanting to be liked, he got more contact. He actually had this Mr. Nice Guy problem.

Just a few thoughts. Of course being unfriendly and reclusive can't be the solution. But people smell if someone is desperate to be liked. I don't know if that's helpful - I also find the "Try different things" approach interesting. But, thoughts.

Obviously I've no idea as to why her demeanour/attitude changed when you presented yourself to her. I've never met you, so I couldn't even begin to say without making wild, unhelpful assumptions about you and/or her....but I do happen to agree with you. In customer service, you should be consistent with everybody unless there's a good reason not to be. Regardless whether a customer is attractive, ugly, short, tall, fat, thin etc. everyone's money is as good as the next person's.

River Lion said:

When you say anybody, is this in work, out shopping, or even family?

I totally get this. I tell myself that childhood trauma and anxiety cause me to see negative reactions in others. I try to observe how other people are treated and how they react to it and I'm becoming more convinced that I'm over-sensitive.

I just return the items and move on with my life. I can careless of the moody person at customer service. But that’s just me.

Latest posts

Back