Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ringwood said:
The question "What are you up to this weekend?" I have a coworker who always asks me this question, and it drives me crazy. Being a mega introvert, a private person and a natural homebody, I prefer my weekends left open and rarely make concrete plans. Doesn't mean I don't go out and do things, but I like having my options open. This question always leaves me feeling like a boring ******* - my standard answer is usually something along the lines of "Oh, not much," or "Hmmm, not sure yet."

You would think after the hundredth time of being asked this, and getting the same answer, he would stop asking.

I'd start with those but end with a very dry "nothing" and after a few times they'd definitely stop... but they might also hate you after that haha

bleed_the_freak said:
pet peeve- pseudointellectualism, where everybody writes on a forum like it's an mla/apa formatted research paper

far too many "rathers" and "thoughs" and "neither/nors" and irritating forced transitions ...

I don't have a problem with any of those.  "Rather" maybe can be a little 1930s British if used too much, but "though"?  That's just a regular word to me, no more overly formal than words like "it" or "cow".    "Neither/nor" is simply correct usage.

What I think you are looking for is stuff like "moreover", "furthermore", "notwithstanding", "the aforementioned"...   though I'm old school and I use those too, but I can see the argument against them.

I don't like overly formal language.   Oh heck, yes, I do.

I remain,

Your most obedient and humble servant,

TheLoadedDog

Given under my hand, this second day of June, Two thousands and eighteen, Anno Domini.

TheLoadedDog said:
bleed_the_freak said:
pet peeve- pseudointellectualism, where everybody writes on a forum like it's an mla/apa formatted research paper

far too many "rathers" and "thoughs" and "neither/nors" and irritating forced transitions ...

I don't have a problem with any of those.  "Rather" maybe can be a little 1930s British if used too much, but "though"?  That's just a regular word to me, no more overly formal than words like "it" or "cow".    "Neither/nor" is simply correct usage.

What I think you are looking for is stuff like "moreover", "furthermore", "notwithstanding", "the aforementioned"...   though I'm old school and I use those too, but I can see the argument against them.

I don't like overly formal language.   Oh heck, yes, I do.

I remain,

Your most obedient and humble servant,

TheLoadedDog

Given under my hand, this second day of June, Two thousands and eighteen, Anno Domini.

Yes, precisely this.

I find people who use their blinkers/turn signals at the very last second even more annoying than those that do not at all. You've failed to understand the actual SIGNIFICANCE of the signal. It's not during your turn, dipshits lol. It's to be mindful of your fellow drivers, not a mindless rule. So many inconsiderate, careless, and selfish drivers on the road. Lastly, very elderly drivers should be given another test at a certain age, and people who do not blink correctly should be reprimanded more often.

Siku said:
I find people who use their blinkers/turn signals at the very last second even more annoying than those that do not at all. You've failed to understand the actual SIGNIFICANCE of the signal. It's not during your turn, dipshits lol. It's to be mindful of your fellow drivers, not a mindless rule. So many inconsiderate, careless, and selfish drivers on the road. Lastly, very elderly drivers should be given another test at a certain age, and people who do not blink correctly should be reprimanded more often.

This, and how the far left lane is now the "slow lane."  Every effing day, on my way home from work, there is always that one ******* that has a line of traffic backed up in the left lane, as he/she casually talks or texts on the phone.

beautiful loser said:
Siku said:

This, and how the far left lane is now the "slow lane."  Every effing day, on my way home from work, there is always that one ******* that has a line of traffic backed up in the left lane, as he/she casually talks or texts on the phone.

Yes! Absolutely, agreed. Without fail I have to constantly play frogger on the highway because of the elderly or greedy 'fast lane' zombies. Just stay in the right lane please if you aren't going to pay attention or decide to be paranoid about your speed. Going against the flow of traffic is far more dangerous than you worrying about your new text message or strictly obeying the speed limit.

People who print/write and people who have voice mail but never listen to it they just call you back and say, you called me? Yes I called you and I left you a freaking message on your voice mail, why have it if you won't listen to it!!!

One of my pet peeves is when someone (usually a co-worker) starts small talk for no other reason than to fill the silence and obviously not caring about my answer. Once a co-worker left the room we were in, while I was still answering her question.

Also not sure if this counts as a peeve, but there has been a heatwave for like two weeks and i haven't  slept well for a single night thanks to that.

Sci-Fi said:
People who print/write and people who have voice mail but never listen to it they just call you back and say, you called me?  Yes I called you and I left you a freaking message on your voice mail, why have it if you won't listen to it!!!

I think I am one of those people. It is just easier to pretend voicemail doesn't exist than to either disable or start using it.  :(

The double standard of having to put the toilet seat down for consideration of the opposite sex. Being FAIR is, everyone has to lower or lift it ONCE. Not have to do it twice because you were clearly 'asked' to be born with a pee while standing up requirement. :p

Siku said:
The double standard of having to put the toilet seat down for consideration of the opposite sex. Being FAIR is, everyone has to lower or lift it ONCE. Not have to do it twice because you were clearly 'asked' to be born with a pee while standing up requirement. :p

I beg to differ on this one.  I don't think men and women should be any different, because both genders should put the LID down, so the seat is a given.  If in doubt, google "toilet plume." I'm not some weird germophobe, but toilet plume is pretty disgusting.  Particles hanging in the air for a long time. Also I don't want to look into an open toilet, seat or not, every time I go into that room.   Just my two cents.

TheLoadedDog said:
Siku said:

I beg to differ on this one.  I don't think men and women should be any different, because both genders should put the LID down, so the seat is a given.  If in doubt, google "toilet plume." I'm not some weird germophobe, but toilet plume is pretty disgusting.  Particles hanging in the air for a long time. Also I don't want to look into an open toilet, seat or not, every time I go into that room.   Just my two cents.

I agree. Don't get me wrong, I infact do not like to look at an open toilet either and always put down the lid as well. My reasoning is more cosmetic and consideration of the smell moreso than worry of bacteria in the air to be honest lol.

My peeve is the possible double standard of it all, and the grief or reaction from it that follows. The principle, not the literal act.

I'm more laid back with that sort of thing because I just remind myself that our race has previously lived outside constantly and we have evolved immune systems. So I try not to live overly conscious of such things. To each their own. :p

While we're on this topic. A smaller peeve of mine is, people who are disgusted by normal human bodily functions. I am not going to be offended that you had to belch or fart so long as it's not overly and intentionally obnoxious lol. And a women on her period shouldn't be disgusting either. Surely, most wouldn't be disgusted if it were their own bodily liquids.

Fight for your wiener Siku! Lower the lid to avoid the toilet plume, and then raise the seat again! Maximum inconvenience, but you win the war of principles.

Limlim said:
Fight for your wiener Siku!  Lower the lid to avoid the toilet plume, and then raise the seat again!  Maximum inconvenience, but you win the war of principles.

Lmao. Maximum inconvenience is not really 'winning'. I want to win like Charlie Sheen does.

People who get upset when their feelings aren't reciprocated with a friend and are quick to use the term "Friend Zone". You hyped yourself up enough into thinking the person likes you in that way, great... But have realistic expectations and see their point of view before making that leap. Mentally prepare yourself and pay attention to the little things to see if they even see you that way. Don't assume. Some never even make the leap in worries that they will lose such a great friend (I've been there many times).

Just don't get bitter, hateful and upset when it's not returned. IMO, it's like the adult equivalent of a emotionally selfish temper tantrum along with a side dish of long term grudges.

And Please please please..... don't flourish people with gifts if you expect something in return. Then your reasoning for it was something altogether different. It was an investment in your eyes.

Quick to turn bitter over it but really you were just naive and egocentric with your emotions and expectations. You weren't friend zoned, you just showed your true nature and expectations of said "friendship" with your retaliating behavior.

Don't beat around the bush, you wanted a RELATIONSHIP and are upset that you invested your time and didn't get it. It's as clear and transparent as your bedroom window. Feeling like you've been wronged in amidst of your upset emotions, but really you did it to yourself.

You can use the term friend zone to describe a situation without it being out of bitterness and anger. If two people are friends and one side is open to a romantic relationship and the other side doesn't want things to go there then guess what? The first person is in the friend zone.

The nastier situations really involve fresia-ups on both sides in my experience. If you are the one feeling wronged and bitter for always being in the friend zone then you need to figure out what it is you're doing to cause the situation. 

Same for someone that always seems to have people feel bitter and angry towards them and feeling led on. You're most likely at fault as well.

I don't understand why some people think it's so simple and that women are perfect angels and never have any responsibility for causing these situations.

There are of course a few psychos out there but if this is a real common issue in your life, on either side, then you probably need to be honest about your behavior and make some changes.

kamya said:
You can use the term friend zone to describe a situation without it being out of bitterness and anger. If two people are friends and one side is open to a romantic relationship and the other side doesn't want things to go there then guess what? The first person is in the friend zone.

The nastier situations really involve fresia-ups on both sides in my experience. If you are the one feeling wronged and bitter for always being in the friend zone then you need to figure out what it is you're doing to cause the situation. 

Same for someone that always seems to have people feel bitter and angry towards them and feeling led on. You're most likely at fault as well.

I don't understand why some people think it's so simple and that women are perfect angels and never have any responsibility for causing these situations.

There are of course a few psychos out there but if this is a real common issue in your life, on either side, then you probably need to be honest about your behavior and make some changes.

+1

I really think a big part of the problem is society and how it doesn't really tell men what to do to attract women.  People just assume you know instinctively, that someone will tell you, or that you'll just get it one day randomly.  But what if you never do?   

The whole subject of what really attracts women is seen as impolite or taboo to talk about, maybe because it's not very romantic.  One thing I noticed is how this mainly tends to be a problem with, for lack of a better term, "nerdy" guys.  Other types of guys don't seem to have this problem much, if at all.  But "nerdy" guys seem to have a harder time.  It seems like the reason is because most of them have a hard time impressing women, and that's the part about attraction that nobody seems to want to tell you.  A big part of attracting a woman seems to revolve around impressing her, triggering her feelings of admiration and respect.  The problem with "nerdy" guys is that they usually don't have anything about them that impresses women, except maybe a well-paying career but even that might not be enough if women don't find it interesting or exciting.  These guys are usually into things that are more of leisure activities than physical activities or skills.  These activities and fandoms might be fun and all, but most women don't care about them.  And even the ones that do still have to be impressed, especially the more physically attractive ones.  I feel like the more physically attractive a woman is, the more you need to impress her. 

I really feel like for straight guys, the moment you find out that you don't have the body to be an athlete, the money to be a rich party boy, the desire to be reckless, or the personality to be facetious, sarcastic, and dominant, you need to start thinking about what you're going to do instead, as early as possible, because you don't want to get to the age where you're starting to be interested in girls but you don't have anything to impress them with and you don't even know how any of this works.  That's how you find yourself in a lot of these "friendships", cause it's really the woman finding you nice and easy to talk to and maybe shares some interests, but she doesn't take you seriously as an equal because you don't impress her, don't seem powerful/successful, and you don't seem interesting and exciting enough.  You're not making her feel enough good feelings.  

I wish I could tell my younger self all this.  It was clear from pretty early on that I wasn't going to be impressing anyone with physical strength, so athletics were out for the most part.  I wasn't from a rich background either.  I didn't feel like being destructive or trying to get attention by taking risks, I didn't feel cunning enough to do them and I just didn't care about it.  And I wasn't interested in the game of insults and comebacks.  I didn't go around using sarcasm to mock everyone and everything as inferior to make myself look better.  I didn't have the "killer instinct", the personality some people have that makes them want to attack and dominate others.  As soon as I realized all this I would have told myself to go ahead and keep enjoying the fandoms and games, but don't make those all I do or all I know about.  Start thinking of something I'd like to get good at to be impressive, and something I'd like to learn about outside of "nerdy" stuff to be interesting, because I have a lot to make up for and I'm not going to get anywhere without it.

This one has been festering for a while. I tend to cut people some slack on this, but...

"Dingo ate my baby" jokes are NOT funny. She was a real little girl. She had a name. Azaria Chamberlain. Thanks.

TheLoadedDog said:
This one has been festering for a while.  I tend to cut people some slack on this, but...

"Dingo ate my baby" jokes are NOT funny.  She was a real little girl.  She had a name.  Azaria Chamberlain.  Thanks.

Do you throw real shrimps on barbies too?

Latest posts

Back