Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheLoadedDog said:
This one has been festering for a while.  I tend to cut people some slack on this, but...

"Dingo ate my baby" jokes are NOT funny.  She was a real little girl.  She had a name.  Azaria Chamberlain.  Thanks.

Tropic Thunder... but yeah it is kind of distasteful.

kamya said:
TheLoadedDog said:
This one has been festering for a while.  I tend to cut people some slack on this, but...

"Dingo ate my baby" jokes are NOT funny.  She was a real little girl.  She had a name.  Azaria Chamberlain.  Thanks.

Do you throw real shrimps on barbies too?

..said no Australian ever.  :D

I don't know how that thing got traction.  It was a short-lived advertising campaign in the United States OVER THIRTY YEARS AGO.  We call them prawns not shrimp, and they have been known to be barbecued, but they are generally eaten cold.  Prawns and beer - a summer classic.

Now, if you want barbecued prawns, go to Vietnam and have their tiger prawns.  They're huge.  Any bigger, they'd be freakin' lobsters.  They cook them whole, and you have the great tradition of burning the crap out of your fingers when you try to shell them.  Then you dip 'em in salt and chilli, and squeeze some lime over them.  It took me two trips to Vietnam to be able to summon up the courage to suck all the brains and goo out of the heads.  Glad I did though - best part.

People who make believe that they are your friends and then drop you like a lead balloon.

People who chuck fag butts all over my garden and driveway after some do/party/gathering that my kids have had.I leave ashtrays even vases with big signs on them out but still end up picking up the wet disgusting butts that who knows what people have been sucking on. :(

TheLoadedDog said:
kamya said:
TheLoadedDog said:

Do you throw real shrimps on barbies too?

..said no Australian ever.  :D

I don't know how that thing got traction.  It was a short-lived advertising campaign in the United States OVER THIRTY YEARS AGO.  We call them prawns not shrimp, and they have been known to be barbecued, but they are generally eaten cold.  Prawns and beer - a summer classic.

Now, if you want barbecued prawns, go to Vietnam and have their tiger prawns.  They're huge.  Any bigger, they'd be freakin' lobsters.  They cook them whole, and you have the great tradition of burning the crap out of your fingers when you try to shell them.  Then you dip 'em in salt and chilli, and squeeze some lime over them.  It took me two trips to Vietnam to be able to summon up the courage to suck all the brains and goo out of the heads.  Glad I did though - best part.

That's pretty interesting really. Thank you for sharing :). I don't think I'll be sucking prawn brains any time soon though. o.o

I don't like it when people knock on my door if the curtains are closed in the day. If an emergency fine or delivery.

Serenia said:
I don't like it when people knock on my door if the curtains are closed in the day.  If an emergency fine or delivery.

I'd never stopped to think about that, but yes, it makes sense that it would be irritating.

I've have kinda the opposite problem.  People don't knock on my door - because they can't.  I live in a small flat that was made from part of a house.  So the building just looks like a normal house from the street, but my flat is down the side of the house and not visible from the street.  And there's a six foot metal gate with a huge padlock and chain on it.  Great for privacy, but awful for getting deliveries.

Serenia said:
I don't like it when people knock on my door if the curtains are closed in the day. If an emergency fine or delivery.

It might help to put a "No Solicitors" sign on your door somewhere, or a sticker in your window. We put one up a while ago when we were having trouble with this. Of course, some people ignore it and knock anyway, but I think it's helped somewhat.

One thing that I've noticed that kind of annoys me is excessive ancestral or regional pride, to the point where they make it a bigger part of their identity than it probably is. I see this on dating sites a lot, and also in various other places online. People will say "I'm xyz ethnicity" or "I'm from xyz place" and then make it one of their main traits. It's one thing to have pride in yourself and your family, but after a while it just seems like they are leaning on this part of their identity so much because they don't have anything else to talk about or differentiate themselves with.

Also memes. I don't like the majority of them. I find them facetious and I don't really like things like that.

Losing things. It's something I absolutely hate, so I really try to put things in the same place every time. I try to be neat, but unfortunately it's very hard to be orderly around here.

How we don't ever organize or throw anything away also gets on my nerves. It makes it hard to find things, and downstairs is pretty much entirely random piles of junk.

Not being able to do my own laundry also gets on my nerves. Having things go unwashed for literally months is not uncommon. Fortunately I have something else to wear, but it's still annoying to have my stuff sit that long instead of just getting things done quickly myself.

I realize I've posted in this thread a lot...I guess a lot of stuff pisses me off. Idk. I don't think I'm as unpleasant as I might seem though.

Being unable to do things correctly, doing things wrong or not doing them at all, or letting something fall apart because I/we don't have any money.

I've felt this way for a long time, but when I started feeling this way about my own body, I got even more fed up with this issue than I already was.

Not only is it frustrating, but humiliating as well.

Also I just hate things falling apart in general.

When the self check out register card reader doesn't work. Come on! Card readers have been out for over 20 years. They should have those **** things perfected by now.

When people, especially those older than me because they seem to be the main ones doing it, make a big deal out of "respecting the military" when they never served, themselves.

I'm not saying that people should not respect the military. I feel like if you did serve, that's one thing, to take pride in it, to believe in it. But it's another thing when people make a big deal out of it that never served, cause the whole wannabe-macho thing is just poser-ish and lame.

I mean, it's OK to be interested in it. I find the history interesting, myself. I'm directing this more at the kind that use it to beat people over the head with it politically.

Abstamyous said:
When people don't knock on the door before walking in.

iseestars said:
When people yell at me

^I agree on both of these too!

TheSkaFish said:
When people, especially those older than me because they seem to be the main ones doing it, make a big deal out of "respecting the military" when they never served, themselves. 

I'm not saying that people should not respect the military.  I feel like if you did serve, that's one thing, to take pride in it, to believe in it.  But it's another thing when people make a big deal out of it that never served, cause the whole wannabe-macho thing is just poser-ish and lame.

I mean, it's OK to be interested in it.  I find the history interesting, myself.  I'm directing this more at the kind that use it to beat people over the head with it politically.

I get on people when they disrespect the military and I never served.  But, I have a lot of family and friends that have and do.  My barely teenage son is even in a youth military program (has a uniform and everything) and plans to serve when he is old enough.  I know people who have died serving in the military.  I know people who were critically injured serving in the military.  It's not always about actually serving, it's sometimes about being close to those that have.  Seeing the haunted looks they can get.  Even seeing people destroyed because of what they saw while serving.  And yes, I also know people who serve/have served that are perfectly okay.  So yeah, it's not always as cut and dry as "you didn't serve, you can't say anything."  Those people could also have wanted to join the military, but weren't physically able because of a bad knee or something like that.

(sorry for the lecture-ish post, didn't mean for it to come out that way)

TheRealCallie said:
I get on people when they disrespect the military and I never served.  But, I have a lot of family and friends that have and do.  My barely teenage son is even in a youth military program (has a uniform and everything) and plans to serve when he is old enough.  I know people who have died serving in the military.  I know people who were critically injured serving in the military.  It's not always about actually serving, it's sometimes about being close to those that have.  Seeing the haunted looks they can get.  Even seeing people destroyed because of what they saw while serving.  And yes, I also know people who serve/have served that are perfectly okay.  So yeah, it's not always as cut and dry as "you didn't serve, you can't say anything."  Those people could also have wanted to join the military, but weren't physically able because of a bad knee or something like that.

(sorry for the lecture-ish post, didn't mean for it to come out that way)

It's OK. Actually, I hadn't thought about it in that depth. I hadn't considered all of those other reasons, which could very well be.

I meant what I said more about the "bandwagon" kind of people though, that just kind of use it for their agenda, as opposed to the stuff you mentioned.

It was more like my knee-jerk reaction, assuming that when they had their chance to serve, they were goofing off in safety instead. But now that they are older and more conservative, they want to use it as part of their whole "moral superiority" thing.

Maybe there aren't really that many people like that anyway. It's just something I see on the Internet from time to time. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, who knows.

How YouTube seems to direct you to everything else except the simple video of the song you looked up, on the band's official account, with just the album cover in the background.

Like no, I don't want the music video, I don't want fan-uploaded videos, I just want to hear the song, in the quality it was meant to be listened to.

I've never understood why it does this. It's stupid.

(sorry for the complaint - organizing my music Favorites today)

The English obsession with beating the Germans at football. I just think it's really sad.

Latest posts

Back