phobias?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solonely20

Reaction score
Already posted in tbe fear thread but it's really a phobia.. What is one phobia you've had in your life? For me it's a specific phobia of being scared of a few trees. Not a fan of the forest. But there is one particular tree that time stops and I get so tense if I see it. Always stay away from it. Really has played a huge part in ruining my life really. Have tried or was planning on trying to get overcome it when I bought the anxiety and phobia workbook. Am I scared of trees? No. I sit under them in summer. I'm just scared of a few trees but it's mainly one tree. I think I'd rather be near a lion or a tiger than be near this tree. That's how deep the phobia is.

I had a sister-in-law that had a fear of fuzzy plants. I always saw it as irrational. But that's the thing. Phobias generally seem irrational.

My phobias are high places, drowning, and things with sharp teeth. These aren't really irrational as I have reason to fear the things that have once hurt me. Oh, spinning cutting blades. Table saws scare the crap out of me.

These things aren't paralyzing, but they are all consuming. When they are present I can only focus on them.

Is it irrational to fear what has hurt you? And from that, wouldn't it stand to reason that phobias began at a point of fear?

Could a phobia begin from a suggestion? A small child being teased by an older sibling, perhaps? "That tree is going to reach down and eat you."

Or it could be something else. Fear begins in the amygdala, a small nut size pair of organs behind the eyes. It is my suspicion that infections such as toxoplasmosis, which targets the amygdala, can alter the way it functions. In rats it removes the fear of cats. In people it can increase or decrease the urges of sex... or so the studies suggest. It reduces the concern of consequences, and has been discovered in the bodies of a majority of reckless drivers.

If this, or another organism can infect our brains, could it not alter our fear? Fear is a survival tool. Phobias are not always about survival. Can those few tree species actually hurt you? Where did it come from?

The brain is an amazing thing. But like any complicated machine, it doesn't take much to screw it up.

Snakes, i think it's inborn. I'm from those monkeys who lived among snakes.

Can throw a mobile/book if there is a picture of 'this' there. My amygdala is as fast as stupid - if i see a toy-snake or a rope(depends on a color mostly, dark with the bright red/orange/yellow spots are the most scaring) it also turns on an alarm. I even strongly dislike a word itself, but in English it's ok. I can write this word: snake-snake-snake ) It's funny how does it work))

Spiders!! The little bitty ones don't bother me so much unless they are the creepy fast moving ones. I get shivers just thinking about them.

Crowds. I have agoraphobia. I don't like to feel so many people at once, makes me sick to my stomach.

Latest posts

Back