Post your desktop

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f5WRphm.jpg

Are you... Norwegian?

zFBLVg.gif

I'm Norwegian/Swedish-American.  :O)

Cool desk, btw.  Got a taskbar on another display, or does it auto-hide?

harper said:
Are you... Norwegian?

zFBLVg.gif

Yeah I'm Norwegian. 🌸
Ohh.. I didn't know that! What's your story regarding that? If you wanna share 🌸
My descbar autohides. 
😊

MissBehave said:
harper said:
Are you... Norwegian?

Yeah I'm Norwegian. 🌸
Ohh.. I didn't know that! What's your story regarding that? If you wanna share 🌸
My descbar autohides. 
😊

Sorry-- I missed this reply...!   I'm terrible at this newfangled internet stuff.  :OD

Not much of a story here-- Mom's Grandfather came over with carpentry tools on a boat, age 14, in the late 19C, met her Grandmother, also a young Norwegian immigrant, in Minnesota and married.  He became a property developer and put himself through law school.  Dad's Grandparents came over as young Swedish immigrants at roughly the same time-- met and married in Iowa.  Most of the men worked on the railroad or in the brick yard. 

My own grandparents were born in the States, but we've kept Norwegian and Swedish culture alive ever since.  I remember, as a kid, the lutefisk suppers at the Lutheran Church.  Beautiful Rosemaling (?) and Dala horses in every room of the house.  Subscribed to Norwegian magazines during the 80s to be exposed to the language and culture.  Most of the time, they talked about American TV shows, though... LOL 

Anyway, not much to tell, but I have a real thing for Norway and Sweden.  I don't have any living relatives here in the States anymore, but might have one or two over there.

Sorry I missed this reply-- you're always so gracious in your replies, I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you, of all people!

Your English is really good, too.  I had no idea you weren't native to English until I saw your desktop.

Thanks for sharing that Harper! 🌸 
What did you think about lutefisk? 😂 I won’t get near it. It’s kind of this... hmm.. some love it and has to have it around Christmas times but there are a lot that hate it to. I guess it’s like the Swedes “surstrømming” only a little bit easier going down perhaps. 😁
Have you tasted any other Norwegian or Swedish dishes? 
Pretty cool that you are over there because they dared to search for a different life.

MissBehave said:
Thanks for sharing that Harper! 🌸 
What did you think about lutefisk? 😂 I won’t get near it. It’s kind of this... hmm.. some love it and has to have it around Christmas times but there are a lot that hate it to. I guess it’s like the Swedes “surstrømming” only a little bit easier going down perhaps. 😁
Have you tasted any other Norwegian or Swedish dishes? 
Pretty cool that you are over there because they dared to search for a different life.

Yeah, they were all about 14 when they came over-- alone.  People had to grow up a lot faster back then.  Tough times. 

I've been addicted to lefse from early childhood, but it's hard to find around here because it's such a chore to make.   I also love pickled herring.  Knew a lady who made these incredible heart-shaped waffles with berries & cream.  Sadly, we're not dating anymore.   Julekake is really good at Christmas, but hard to find.  

I don't know if any of this is popular in Norway today, but it's what passes for Norwegian cuisine around here.

I didn't care for lutefisk, but ate it dutifully.  :O)  I think it's something every Norwegian needs to experience at least once-- it's sort of a meme we can all relate to, wherever we live.  They also served herring/sour cream and coffee, which is always good.

Interesting to know that the Swedes have something even less appealing than lutefisk-- never heard about that from the other side of my family!

I'm a fan of Kirsten Braten Berg, Mari Boine and Hedningarna.  And Emma Hardelin, though I know she's a Swede. Joiks (?) give me the chills... haunting and beautiful.   Also enjoy Norwegian movies to hear the language and see the people, homes and countryside.  I'll travel again some day, and I plan on visiting Norway with no schedule to keep.  I think it must be the most beautiful place on the planet-- my folks took a couple of trips there and said it was so clean and beautiful.

I just googled surstrømming. It sounds VILE! :OD

Lefse is a chore to make for sure. A lot of work with the rolling pin. I’ve made both thin lefse and thick lefse with my mom lots of times. 
Waffles are almost like a standard here. It’s amazing with sour cream and strawberry jam. ❤️
For Christmas I take out a lot of the old recipes and bake with those. There are heavy traditions here during Christmas. People usually bake 7 kinds of cakes/cookies. I have no idea why 7 is the magic number but.. yeah. It is. 😁 I usually have to have kokkosboller, sjakkruter, fattigmann, julekake and krumkake. 
My favorite Norwegian artist is Kari Bremenes. She comes from a family of musicians and her brother sings too. I’ll link you 2 of my fav songs by her. 

[youtube]uRsEGZzRbEc[/youtube]

[youtube]qdhIxScjuTE[/youtube]

I had a conversation yesterday about the the good stuff with Italy vs Norway. Italy is filled with stuff to do, history, castles and all that. Norway doesn’t have too much of that stuff to offer, some ofc. I think nature is Norway’s best card for sure. Today I was out with my aunt and our dogs. We saw a small herd of em, about 15-20. One of them was pure white. Beautiful ❤️

MissBehave said:
Lefse is a chore to make for sure. A lot of work with the rolling pin. I’ve made both thin lefse and thick lefse with my mom lots of times. 
Waffles are almost like a standard here. It’s amazing with sour cream and strawberry jam. ❤️
For Christmas I take out a lot of the old recipes and bake with those. There are heavy traditions here during Christmas. People usually bake 7 kinds of cakes/cookies. I have no idea why 7 is the magic number but.. yeah. It is. 😁 I usually have to have kokkosboller, sjakkruter, fattigmann, julekake and krumkake. 

=======
ME:
I'm a (literally) huge fan of baked goods... seven sounds like a great number to me.  :O)   Lots of potato grating to be done, making lefse, as well.  My mom spent most of an afternoon making lefse with several other people here-- she loved to cook, but had no desire to start production on it at home, much as I implored.  I'll bet you're a great cook.  I like traditional foods.  And costume.  And music.  

Had a jar of cloudberries, many years ago.  As I recall, they were a bit sour but I enjoyed them for what they were.   Folks brought a bottle of aqavit (?) home from one of their trips, and we toasted a few times with it, but I  never got a taste for alcohol so it was kind of lost on me.  Interesting product, though.  Krumkake sounds familiar.  I sort of attack most foods like Cookie Monster does with cookies, so I've probably enjoyed a lot of things I can't recall in detail.

=======
YOU:
My favorite Norwegian artist is Kari Bremenes. She comes from a family of musicians and her brother sings too. I’ll link you 2 of my fav songs by her. 

=======
ME:
I like this!  I think I even hear a little joikh in the first one.  She has a beautiful voice
and the language lends itself really well to this kind of melody.  Always love to discover
new tunes--- thanks!

======
YOU:
I had a conversation yesterday about the the good stuff with Italy vs Norway. Italy is filled with stuff to do, history, castles and all that. Norway doesn’t have too much of that stuff to offer, some ofc. I think nature is Norway’s best card for sure. Today I was out with my aunt and our dogs. We saw a small herd of em, about 15-20. One of them was pure white. Beautiful ❤️

======
ME:
"Em" are... what... Sheep?  Reindeer?  Highly evolved lizards that enjoy complex equations?
My mind is racing.  

I'm happy to have met you.  I hate to think you're struggling with loneliness,
and I hope the coming winter doesn't make any of that worse for you.

Ahahaha. 😂 Moved too fast with that one. Lol.
A heard with reindeer. Hmm 🤔 the lizard thing would be pretty awesome though.
Akevitt (the alcohol thingy), I've tasted it but I'm not really a drinker. A cider once in a while is plenty enough for me so yeah. 
Been nice getting to know you Harper 😉
Lol. I got a orange kitten nibbling at my sweater now. Ahhh.. I love cats. ❤️
During winter it's pretty much dark 24/7. I don't really mind it. I like the seasonal changes. All of them brings something beautiful.

My desktop...  I'm still quite stoked about it; as I put in a good amount of effort to customize the theme and such.  *Yay* me!

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-36-40.jpg
    Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-36-40.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-36-14.jpg
    Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-36-14.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-37-10.jpg
    Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-37-10.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-38-03.jpg
    Screenshot at 2019-11-07 22-38-03.jpg