Prince Philip....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgottendanfan

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing about him. He was a racist, bigoted man who held opinions that a regular Joe on the street would be held accountable for. I'm not saying I'm pleased he died or anything along those lines, but people making him out to be some kind of God among men, quite frankly makes me sick.

If you're so tired of hearing about him, why make a thread about him? a thread where people will be literally talking about him, and you'll be coming back to it reading more about him lmao

Lacrecia said:
If you're so tired of hearing about him, why make a thread about him? a thread where people will be literally talking about him, and you'll be coming back to it reading more about him  lmao

I'm tired of him being made out to be some kind of extraordinary person....which is not what this thread is about.

Lacrecia said:
If you're so tired of hearing about him, why make a thread about him? a thread where people will be literally talking about him, and you'll be coming back to it reading more about him  lmao

So you're deliberately missing his point for a cheap shot.

Hazed said:
Lacrecia said:

look who's talking! and yes I am. Sue me

Hazed said:
Lacrecia said:

It happens to me all the time here. I treat it with the contempt it deserves.

Hate to break it to you, but there are quite a lot of articles talking about the fact that he was racist.

But, are you saying he did nothing good in his life? I don't know if he has or not, things done by royals in another country aren't exactly what I spend my time looking at.

TheRealCallie said:
Hate to break it to you, but there are quite a lot of articles talking about the fact that he was racist. 

But, are you saying he did nothing good in his life?  I don't know if he has or not, things done by royals in another country aren't exactly what I spend my time looking at.

There's no need to hate to break it to me. I'm a big boy now.

Of course he's done some good things. All the royals do SOME good, charitable things, mainly for P.R. purposes.

Forgottendanfan said:
I'm tired of hearing about him. He was a racist, bigoted man who held opinions that a regular Joe on the street would be held accountable for. I'm not saying I'm pleased he died or anything along those lines, but people making him out to be some kind of God among men, quite frankly makes me sick.

I don't think he was considered a god .He was just held in great affection by many people apparently. He showed duty to his country visiting hundreds of countries on official trips.He visited Canada alone 70 times :D.He started the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme helping kids in numerous countries. He was after all the Queen's husband.He also had a great sense of humour according to alot of people. Imagine shaking thousands of hands all his life.He had some good points he wasn't all bad and he didn't really have alot of choice as to what his position in life would be.

Forgottendanfan said:
mainly for P.R. purposes.

I wasn't aware you were so in with the royal family to know their "main" motivation behind everything they did.  I mean, I'm sure he had honeysuckle he HAD to do because he married a Queen, but that doesn't mean he didn't enjoy what he did or that he didn't want to help people.

TheRealCallie said:
Forgottendanfan said:

I wasn't aware you were so in with the royal family to know their "main" motivation behind everything they did.  I mean, I'm sure he had honeysuckle he HAD to do because he married a Queen, but that doesn't mean he didn't enjoy what he did or that he didn't want to help people.

I didn't say I know the main motivation behind EVERYTHING they do. Don't you ever get tired of picking fault with everyone and everything? Oh actually, I suspect I already know the answer to that question.

And at that rate, when someone you care about dies, do you focus only on the bad honeysuckle they did or do you pay your respects and remember the good aspects of them? Everyone does bad things at some point in their life.

Forgottendanfan said:
TheRealCallie said:
Forgottendanfan said:

I didn't say I know the main motivation behind EVERYTHING they do. Don't you ever get tired of picking fault with everyone and everything? Oh actually, I suspect I already know the answer to that question.

Um, actually you did, I quoted it.  MAINLY FOR P.R. PURPOSES typically means that is the main motivation for doing something.

TheRealCallie said:
And at that rate, when someone you care about dies, do you focus only on the bad honeysuckle they did or do you pay your respects and remember the good aspects of them?  Everyone does bad things at some point in their life.

But most of the people supposedly "grieving" for him are the people who didn't even know him personally.

Just Games said:
He had some good points he wasn't all bad and he didn't really have alot of choice as to what his position in life would be.

I didn't know that much about him before. But after reading about him, that's also how he came across.

Also, I read some of his gaffes too, and I don't know. When you look at them all together, they don't seem truly hateful. Just a little off-color. Someone in the comments section on one of the articles said he would have made a good stand-up, and it did seem kind of like that, things an "edgy" comedian would say.

I think he was just a product of his time. At worst, I feel like he may have just been out of touch with regular people, and with the modern world.

Forgottendanfan said:
TheRealCallie said:
And at that rate, when someone you care about dies, do you focus only on the bad honeysuckle they did or do you pay your respects and remember the good aspects of them?  Everyone does bad things at some point in their life.

But most of the people supposedly "grieving" for him are the people who didn't even know him personally.

Doesn't matter, they choose to not focus on the bad honeysuckle.  I'm sure it was the same when JFK was assassinated and the same as it is when a celebrity dies.

TheSkaFish said:
Just Games said:
He had some good points he wasn't all bad and he didn't really have alot of choice as to what his position in life would be.

I didn't know that much about him before.  But after reading about him, that's also how he came across. 

Also, I read some of his gaffes too, and I don't know.  When you look at them all together, they don't seem truly hateful.  Just a little off-color.  Someone in the comments section on one of the articles said he would have made a good stand-up, and it did seem kind of like that, things an "edgy" comedian would say.

I think he was just a product of his time.  At worst, I feel like he may have just been out of touch with regular people, and with the modern world.

You make a fair point. Not everything he did was bad, but I just get tired of the double standards people have in relation to the British royal family, and the fact that when someone dies, they're made out to be better than they were.

TheRealCallie said:
Forgottendanfan said:
TheRealCallie said:

Doesn't matter, they choose to not focus on the bad honeysuckle.  I'm sure it was the same when JFK was assassinated and the same as it is when a celebrity dies.

Well I was sad when David Bowie died and will be sad when Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Stephen King, David Hockney etc. die, not because I knew them personally, but because they made great art.

I'm so glad I never cared one way or another. I had just chuckled at the memes that compared his ghastly appearance to that of a ghoul from the Fallout series.

Rodent said:
I'm so glad I never cared one way or another. I had just chuckled at the memes that compared his ghastly appearance to that of a ghoul from the Fallout series.

Yeah ravages of time Rodent.Even pretty boys like our good selves are gonna look a bit rough if we reach 99 years old :D

I cant believe how many complaints the BBC are receiving about the amount of coverage his death is getting. I'm lapping up all the good stuff he did behind the scenes that we didn't know about.He was married seventy three years to the Queen ..that is a long time to be under the thumb and the service of our country all the patronages he was head of. Its only been one day after all.

Latest posts

Back