Repetitive but NOT monotonous

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August Campbell

My ultimate dream came true.
Reaction score
The reason I introduce this topic is because of a another thread I saw a while ago. The other poster expressed how everything bores him nowadays. What I found especially surprising is that he has played tons of different video-games, yet he finds himself getting bored even after he gets a brand-new game.
The way I see it, it's because he has too much excitement in his life. As a result, he gets overstimulated. In other words, excitement can backfire, because it can make you easily bored.

In my case, I don't even play video games but rather just board games. And I've played only one for many years. And I don't get bored. So I repeat the same game over and over. In other words, repetitive but it never gets monotonous or boring. How that repetition never gets boring is the result of Buddhist meditation.

That's why my relationship with the lady, Sheila, is kept Platonic. Because Romance would be too exciting, and that excitement wears off quickly and gets boring. As I said, too much emotion is overstimulation, and it's that overstimulation that will quickly wear off and make you easily bored.
So Platonic companion is Nowhere as exciting as a Romance. But Platonic gives both peace of mind and steady contentment.

Staying away from excitement helped also to prevent me from accumulating things--that is, Hoarding. For those of you who don't know, YouTube has many videos from the series, Hoarders, sufferers whose hoarding-addiction actually puts them at risk, because the sheer amount that they hoard can be actually hazardous.

Wow! I don't know how I missed your thread. I'm glad you posted again to make it fresh. Thanks! I totally love watching Hoarders. I could easily become one and some may say I'm riding the fence. Ha! ha!

I have collected lots of stuff. I used to have tens times as much though. I used to restore cars and had 20+ cars in my yard along with my very own wrecking yard. Ha! ha! I had many highly sought after parts and some real treasures. I felt good having all those cars and parts and things. But, after many years it became less profittable and harder to find great deals on cars to rebuild. So, I slowly started getting rid of stuff. I sold everything that I could. Then I started cutting up the remaining cars and sell the scrap. I hated doing it. But, I got rid of some very nice engines that I built for myself and at a loss. :( After about 1.5 years all I had left was two drivable vehicles, a lot of parts I simply couldn't part with, and all my other stuff.

I rebuild and repair everything myself. So, I have to have spare parts for everything. Right? Ha! ha! Then if I find a good deal on some parts I buy a hundred of them. Ha! ha! I have lots of boxes full of stuff. I have so much electronic stuff it's crazy. I also have literally tons of steel ready for different projects that haven't been thought of yet. Ha! ha! To be honest, I'm now glad that I have all that steel because I paid very little for it, maybe $600. In today's prices it would be several thousands of dollars, probably over $10K.

I also find stuff people discard in the alley and bring it back into my yard before I have any use for it. Ha! ha! I know I can fix it and I hate to see repairable stuff end up in the landfills.

However, not that I'm older I don't quite feel so much like doing a lot of the projects any more. So, I have slowly been getting rid of stuff. It's also hard not to keep buying stuff when I find a deal.

I like this. I am not playing Skyrim or Stardew Valley again...I am mediating!

I agree.

Mr. Rogers, who was a misunderstood radical revolutionary, talked a lot about how the world today doesn't allow for reflection or introspection. Too many distractions, too much noise, too many things, too much hurrying around, too much competition and posing. Not enough time to sit in meadows, lie under trees or listen to flowing streams. Just sitting in a room and soaking in the ambient noise can help calm nerves. It's analogous to when one eats too many sugary foods and then everything less sugary tastes bland. Once you stop eating the sugar, the bland food tastes a lot better and doesn't do as much damage as the syrupy goo. Making life less complicated makes the simpler things more exciting.

I agree.

Latest posts

Back