Reviving Old Threads

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamaisVu

Reaction score
Does this forum have a general guideline on necroposting? I notice old threads revived sometimes, is it encouraged or discouraged? I ask because it seems to vary alot between sites. One forum's rule was to always search and revive rather than create a duplicate topic. Another forum's policy forbids reviving threads older than a certain limit (3 months). This place seems laid back regarding such rules, but I'd rather follow preferred etiquette if there is any general consensus.

You can probably revive old threads, but it has to make sense.

If you see that the Original Poster is no longer a member of the site, then obviously answering the OP's question is kinda dumb, unless that particular thread became a discussion of some sort. Also, don't re-answer a question that you can see has been answered in 80 different ways already.

Generally, if you're going to revive an old thread, try to stick to discussion-type threads that could still be relevant right now.

HOWEVER... I'm not a mod, so everything I say is void and accounts for almost nothing. :D

Have fun! :p

If it is a topic that you feel you want to add to, then go ahead and post in it. Sometimes when people do that, then the topic becomes active again.

As has be already mentioned, bumping a two year old "welcome" thread may cause someone to point out that the person left a year ago, so they probably won't see the welcome. As far far as topics and discussions, feel free to post in any that you see, even if it is an older thread.

Yeah, there are quite a few bump worthy threads around. Good stuff :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I realize it's pointless to give personal responses to someone who's not active anymore, I was mainly wondering in the case of general discussion threads. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm browsing some of the interesting older discussions.

sadface said:
this is a pledge to everyone:

i will revive necropost this thread so hard a year from now.

Heh I'm sure you will :p

sadface said:

If you have anything relevant to add to it at that time, then feel free to do it.

I once belonged to a really active and popular forum ( that I was banned from) that had a very serious rule that you must not make a new topic if one has already been made. The place was 5 years old, and some of the posts were a few hundred pages long.

I made a thread in General Chat that went something like this:

Oh no, I made a thread !!!

Look, I dont care if you had some conversation with someone last year. Im not going to pick my way thought your forum to get a question answered.

It was deleted :( and I was banned not long after that.

This being said, in 6 months I am going to make a post here asking if it is proper to revive old threads or make new ones.

i think it's a question of judgment as opposed to rules.

necropost - if you dare.

make it good, or risk being a MASSIVE ******. :D

sadface said:
this is a pledge to everyone:

That would be great because the topic would still be valid and some people may want to know or have something to add to it.

Sure beats having a dozen identical thread answering the same question. There is nothing wrong with bumping a thread if you have something to add. Unless it is "I hate facebook". We do need dozens of those threads.

but how can one know what another is going to post in advance.
But I totally agree about facebook, it's like the bible of the internet.

I don't see how knowing what another is going to post in advance has to do with it.

The question is can you continue a discussion which has not been active for some varying amount of time, if you feel that you have something to add to it or would just like to continue the discussion.

well, it has to do with it because people don't generally tend to search for a topic before posting another one. Such as Lonekiller's thread about what you do when you're not online, I knew there was another thread, so I went and found it.

I know people are often not good about searching for existing threads that already cover the same topic and we aren't too aren't picky about that. At most the originals may be pointed out for added information, since they expressed an interest.

In this case someone found a thread that they wanted to post to but it hadn't been active for a few months. They wanted to know if they could post to it or if people would start complaining about necro posting.

Now while we have some people that are going to get upset about something being posted to a thread that is older than their personal image of what is acceptable, they will just have to be upset, because it is fine to continue a conversation even if no one has added to it in a while.

It isn't like these people who accidentally welcome someone who left the forum two years ago.

OHHH, I didn't know someone asked about that. Okay, I rescind my statements (kinda)

Latest posts

Back