Save Your Generation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
There is a person in my year that is probably the most pretentious idiot I have ever seen. His hair looks like it was randomly glued to his head, his clothes might have belonged to a nineteenth century gigalo and he ******* leans or sprawls or does stuff with his hands to make you realise he is not merely a usual person sitting down. If you ask him what bands he's into, he tells you that you wouldn't have heard of them and that they're his friends' bands.

He thinks he is an artist. He is the coolest person he knows. He copies and pastes. He says nothing, because it makes him look interesting - if he does speak, he drawls like a drug-abuser from some movie in his head (a look he consciously cultivates). He is as vacuous as the music of the unsigned bands he adopts. IT IS AN EFFECT. What you are seeing is a surface, one that is ultimately impenetrable even to the harshest words. What we have learned is that if you glitter enough, substance is meaningless.

I read this online:

"[Eric and I] talked and talked about how much we hate lame people and pretty much all people. we both hate societies hold on people. it's almost as if we are so far above all that nonsense that we don't understand other peoples need to follow societies orders. and rules. and religion. UGH. we came to the conclusion that it's actually harder to be ABOVE all the bullshit because there's very few people there. and on Friday night Eric said something like, "we're lucky to have at LEAST found eachother at this point." and I thought that was cute, and pretty much dead on because noone really sees things like we do. we basically agree on every aspect of life and like digging deeper to mystical or deep things. not just THE OBVIOUS boring thing."

What makes this girl a nonconformist? Why, she’s a "size 0 New York blonde" who buys cocaine with her parents’ money. IT IS AN EFFECT. Starving for ideas, she instead settles for the images of ideas instead - ones that are not "boring" or "obvious". She is the epitome of everything I hate: morally indigent, intellectually shallow, and snidely misanthropic. She could have been talking to the guy from my university - they don't converse but use buzzwords (religion isn't cool but mysticism is, even though they amount to the same thing).

How could you talk to them about Dostoyevsky when they'd dismiss you with a cultivated eyebrow and call you a product of the system? How could you talk to them about the conditions of existence without them losing the sheen of their buzzword patois? How could you ever expose the cant of their elitist bullshit to them without giving them a chance to walk away from you? You don't "know" them. You don't "understand" them. You "envy" them. It's a flaw so perfect that they'll never see it for what it is, and neither will we unless by good fortune. These two ridiculous specimens, without a drop of authenticity in their veins, are the poster children of our time. Edward Albee recited the Dies Irae to his generation: we'll have to bury ours twelve feet deep.

little_buddha said:
What we have learned is that if you glitter enough, substance is meaningless.

right then, i will buy sequin bandages and wrap myself up in them like a mummy.. i wont have to say a word and everyone will adore me.. sounds easy :p

andy warhol reflected all that was trite and superficial in culture and he did it with flair.. funny guy. loved the way he did interviews.

meh.. if these specimens you talk of are as shallow as you say, i would just ignore them and move on..

you do sound like quite the philosopher though.. any books on the horizon? :)

The closest a person will ever come to being original is to not give a honeysuckle whether or not they are original and live their life exactly how THEY want to live it.

It's a misconstrued notion of our youth that conformity means dressing a certain way, loving popular music, etc. etc, and while this may follow the lines of some technical definition, it's not really inline with the point of social conformity, which is doing something for the purpose of fitting in or being a part of something.

Doing something because you genuinely want to do it is the closest any person will get to achieving originality.

@ Papabear: this isn't really about originality, which is a problematic concept anyway. This generation reads less than the one before it, takes more drugs, drinks more alcohol, gets more STDs. Most of all, increased consumerism, more pervasive advertising and the capitulation of idealists' rally points such as workers' unions and punk rock mean that this generation is image-obsessed. That is why I resent these "images" of ideas, such as the wearing of keffiyehs without knowledge of the ideology behind them.

@ Power: they aren't so much specimens as indicators of a broader problem. Facebook, Guitar Hero, Nike, Tesco's Online, Harry Potter: these things are all massive cultural phenomena that replace something vital to us - whether it was privacy or having to do our shopping ourselves. Even our racist political parties, the BNP and KKK, are rebranding themselves for the 21st century. In the middle of this, the natural urge to express oneself becomes transmuted into a deeper and darker consumerism, searching for more individual and thus more expensive items.

Hipsters like the people mentioned here became hipsters because they were sick of the forms of irony used to battle the behemoth of capitalism, so they developed so-called "post-irony", a conscious naivete that is of course even more twisted and nauseating. Most of them, indeed, were not aware of this process, the surrender of a generation who, having nothing to fight against, had everything to fight for. We are defined by hipsters just as much as people were in the 60s: just like then they represent us in exaggerated form, and shall be our lasting image.

little_buddha said:
We are defined by hipsters just as much as people were in the 60s: just like then they represent us in exaggerated form, and shall be our lasting image.

Your generation is characterized by the hipster; mine by the apathetic slacker. It has bothered me as much as the hipster icon seems to annoy you. Struggling against these stereotypes is futile because people are going to romanticize (Hello Boomers) or demonize a generation no matter what you do. There's nothing people seem to love more than pinning a label onto a group of people.

Also, older generations have been decrying the uselessness of younger generations probably forever - they certainly have all through the 20th century. For all the poseur poster children of a specific generation we see flashed before our eyes, there are also perfectly normal folks, some overly educated, some functionally illiterate and loads in between.

This was an amusing read: Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization

Bring back the 80's ...man.
Sex, drugs, and rock n roll :p

Bad boy music :p
[youtube]fkk5nx6PRfA[/youtube]

I feel bad...I feel mean, I'm up N down and in between.lol
[youtube]y7196xtQ7UQ[/youtube]

little_buddha said:
This generation reads less than the one before it, takes more drugs, drinks more alcohol, gets more STDs.

I feel your pain, LB. I really do. It troubles me late at night when I'm unable to sleep. All I can think about sometimes is how utterly messed you and I are because of the people you describe. It's depressing. It's enraging. It's wretched.

They have no work ethic, they have no aspirations or ambitions, and they have no depth of intellect or insight despite how they'd like to come across. I wish there were some challenge to issue them that they would fail, and maybe make others decry their ways...but it is as you say. They will simply shrug and walk away.

I hate this. I wish I'd been born in ages past; sometimes I wish I'd not been born, period. Sometimes.

I don't think there is a way to fix it. Hopefully there are more of us with sensibilities than there are of them, once everything comes out in the wash 10 years from now. Hopefully they fall by the wayside, and realize the foolishness of their ways.

Latest posts

Back