Scams That Prey On the Lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
monkeysocks said:
duff said:
I got scammed last year. Lost some money. The lessons learned were:

1. Don't just play along for a laugh or to see what happens
2. Don't start to believe there is a real person writing to you
3. never send money
4. and most important : NEVER SEND MONEY

I agree, I hope it wasnt too expensive lesson - same happened to us via a fake item we wanted to purchase.

You can never be too careful.

Tips for dating on line

Ask repeated questions (see if you get same answers in a later conversation)

To check photo is of person - ask them to send a photo of themselves holding up a note of your name . Genuine people won't take offence of this.

Look for discrepancies in information given.

Never give your address or personal details

Always meet in a public place and inform people of where you are and what time you will return.

Never accept a lift home and if possible arrange someone you know to meet at the end of the date.

all good info. I lost £860 which was bloody stupid of me. I wasn't hard enough with my questioning. And I told people at work and they encouraged me to carry on writing to her because it was a 'laugh'

The £860 was for travel expenses. Two days before she was due to visit, she asked for another £2,700 to help with her visa. I didn't send that, wasn't daft enough. Never heard from her again. She wrote 80 letters to me as well, roughly one a day for 3 months. All different, not a copy and paste type deal. Very detailed, very clever.

all good info. I lost £860 which was bloody stupid of me. I wasn't hard enough with my questioning. And I told people at work and they encouraged me to carry on writing to her because it was a 'laugh'

The £860 was for travel expenses. Two days before she was due to visit, she asked for another £2,700 to help with her visa. I didn't send that, wasn't daft enough. Never heard from her again. She wrote 80 letters to me as well, roughly one a day for 3 months. All different, not a copy and paste type deal. Very detailed, very clever.
[/quote]

I am glad you sussed her, I think anyone after that much correspondence - would believe the person. I bet you felt violated.

Don't let it put you off though.

There are genuine people, I was naive initially, but luckily I met someone who told me how the scams work and to be honest I would never have believed it or protected myself so well had I not been warned.

We also lost £800 but that was for a purchase that turned out to be a con. Now I doubt the item for sale even existed.

monkeysocks said:

I am glad you sussed her, I think anyone after that much correspondence - would believe the person. I bet you felt violated.

Don't let it put you off though.

There are genuine people, I was naive initially, but luckily I met someone who told me how the scams work and to be honest I would never have believed it or protected myself so well had I not been warned.

We also lost £800 but that was for a purchase that turned out to be a con. Now I doubt the item for sale even existed.
[/quote]

I had the money to lose because I have thousands in bank. I saved it up again pretty quickly, a few months.

I did feel pretty lousy about it. Also disapointed. I wanted something good to happen in my life. It has definately put me off any kind of online dating. There was a 'final straw' vibe to it. Just can't be bothered anymore.

If you think a 'dating profile' is too good to be true and the person has posted a photo.

Upload the photo to one of those reverse image search websites (like TinyEye) and see how many different matches you get for it.

In most cases a genuine profile wouldn't have a photo that appears on an endless list of websites.

I did allsorts, tried to trace her email address, spent ages looking thru russian scammers websites, looked thru endless photo's. There was nothing about her. She gave me these bank details so I sent an email off to their website asking them if they had a branch in the city where she was from. It took them 2 weeks to reply and I had already sent the money by then. It was the only time I caught her out. The branch she told me about didn't exist. She rang me up twice, she was 5 hours ahead of me and the only time I spoke to her it was 6.30pm my time. So it was 11.30pm her time which was a bit suspicious because she was ringing from a call box. I should have asked her what time it was to try and catch her out. The second time I was upstairs and missed the call so she left a message on my mobile. I would have asked her the time on that occasion. That cost me my money. Being upstairs at the wrong time.

You need to be careful. They just fall in love with your profile and start saying all kinda things. Just delete the messages.

Getting rich online is not easy, but making a living online is a child's play.
Join *scam that preys on the people at ALL deleted here* for free and learn how to make money online. This is for real. So amazing.

Anyone else experience the oil rig worker man scam? They woo all over you and then hit you up for money. Apparently it's a pretty popular scam.

http://www.theoilrigscams.com/

It seems too good to be true, and of course you know it is, but **** can it feel good to seem to be wanted. Until you find out it's a scam. Bugger!

I have a list of scams that I can post to anyone, just send me a cheque for $199.99 to cover the postage.

Thank you!

:p

Not all people are trying to scam you I actually want to text people of hear make friends

duff said:
I did allsorts, tried to trace her email address, spent ages looking thru russian scammers websites, looked thru endless photo's. There was nothing about her. She gave me these bank details so I sent an email off to their website asking them if they had a branch in the city where she was from. It took them 2 weeks to reply and I had already sent the money by then. It was the only time I caught her out. The branch she told me about didn't exist. She rang me up twice, she was 5 hours ahead of me and the only time I spoke to her it was 6.30pm my time. So it was 11.30pm her time which was a bit suspicious because she was ringing from a call box. I should have asked her what time it was to try and catch her out. The second time I was upstairs and missed the call so she left a message on my mobile. I would have asked her the time on that occasion. That cost me my money. Being upstairs at the wrong time.

Wow you fell for that

It's okay though a women rip me off one time ripped my love right the fresia off that hurt

People who scam the vulnerable are horrible. People who mock those who have been victimized even might be worse.

I am in my fifties and, while I have my charms, I find it very hard to believe it when a twenty one year old writes to me from a thirdworld country telling me that I am his dream woman. Maybe I am too cyncial:)

Tiina63 said:
I am in my fifties and, while I have my charms, I find it very hard to believe it when a twenty one year old writes to me from a thirdworld country telling me that I am his dream woman. Maybe I am too cyncial:)

It's obvious a con, you are not been cynical at all.
I am incredibly cynical, I don't believe a word anybody says on the internet. I would say 99.9% is a con or lie.

They are getting smarter and smarter, but yet whatever they say or do still gives them away. Most if these scammers do not take the time to really learn. You can almost spot their flaws right away. Thing is, when most people lie you can get that uneasy feeling. If it seems too good to be true, it is. If i were to ever have an online relationship, i would take it very slowly. Real love will be patient, fake love is too impatient.

I just got a call the other day from some random credit company, asking if I wanted to appeal for lower rates. It's a company I've never heard of before, so I just hung up before they started asking for my info. lol

Badjedidude said:
I just got a call the other day from some random credit company, asking if I wanted to appeal for lower rates. It's a company I've never heard of before, so I just hung up before they started asking for my info. lol

It was rude to hang up on me like that. I merely wanted your Cr... your company!

Yep, I've seen profiles on multiple dating sites with the same stolen photos.

Believe it or not, a few of them are stolen photos of well-known people, and the bumbling scammers think we'll never figure it out.

I once saw a fake profile on a well-known OLDS in which some joker tried to pass off stolen pics of the Progressive Insurance model as a legit member of the site! That scammer must think we're awfully stupid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back