Screwing up when speaking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedokes

Reaction score
Ahhh yes... we've all said something that was either a mistake or we misunderstood what someone has said. Whether or not it was because you were nervous or not... tell us some of your screw ups. Nothing wrong with having "moments"...kind of good to laugh at yourself sometimes. :)

I went to the bank today to make a withdrawal from my account, and she asked me how I wanted "it" back. I said..in cash. The two ladies looked at me smiling like I was joking. Me when I get nervous.. lol. ugh.

I once tried to say "boob job" and accidentally said "blow job". Fortunately it was amongst semi-close acquaintances.

I was looking up words in the dictionary during a French class a while back when a word on the page caught my eye. I tapped my friend on the shoulder to tell him the word, but it totally slipped my mind, so I looked back at the dictionary and said the first word I saw.

I ended up saying, in a voice far louder than intended, "Ooh, suppositories."

Needless to say everyone put down their dictionaries for a moment to stare in confusion. I ended up somehow incorporating a suppository pill theft into the story I was writing so I didn't seem like a total moron. Success at its finest.

Was in my driving instruction class and the teacher has all assigned us numbers corresponding to the problems we to answer. Then he'd go around the room and weld call out our answers. Well, I memorized my answer and put my head down. By the time it got to me, I looked up and said "Merge" to identify the road sign in my problem. Everyone laughed. I asked what number we were on and, he clarified we were on #22 only to look and see the silhouette of a deer crossing the road. Somehow that caught on, as a meme for my school.

I've gone to the McDonald's drive up, been in the middle of a conversation with someone else in the car and reflexively said "Fill her regular" to the attendant.

When I am distracted or generally uninterested with a vocal interaction, I give canned, knee-jerk responses. Sort of like a doll with prerecorded messages or driving down the highway, getting home and then wondering how the hell you got there because you were on autopilot. My mind wanders a lot...let me know if you find it anywhere. ;)

JasonM said:
I give canned, knee-jerk responses

I do that too.

If someone says to me, "I guess we'll catch up later!" as they walk away, I'm probably going to mindlessly say, "You too!"

...or something similar.

Don't worry about screwups too much. Everyone does it.

Some better than others.

Badjedidude said:
JasonM said:
I give canned, knee-jerk responses

I do that too.

If someone says to me, "I guess we'll catch up later!" as they walk away, I'm probably going to mindlessly say, "You too!"

...or something similar.

Don't worry about screwups too much. Everyone does it.

Some better than others.

Have you ever closed a phone call to a manager or coworker with "Love ya", I have.

bodafuko said:
Have you ever closed a phone call to a manager or coworker with "Love ya", I have.

No... but when I was with my ex, from time to time I would accidentally call my mom, "sweetie."

That's usually how I addressed my girlfriend at the time, so it just sort of stuck and without even thinking about it I would call my mom that as well.

Oops.

Freud would have a field day with that one, I'm betting. :cool:

I always stuff up buying bus tickets, if I'm in Telford I say "return to Telford please" and they look at me funny and say "you're in Telford already"... Duh, I do that all the time! :rolleyes:

I remember working on an IT Helpdesk years ago and asking a woman how large her monitor was,
Me "is it 15 inch or 17 inch?"
Her "oooh I don't know I'll check with Phil"
*Pause*
Her (shouting across the office) "Phil... how many inches is it???"
Queue the office breaking into laughter and she just goes "oh know what have I said!?" and breaks into fits of giggles, poor Phil must have gone bright red! :D

Latest posts

Back