Security Programs

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentThinker

Reaction score
I thought it would be good to write a list of security programs.

Freeware

Adware/Spyware Removal
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad Adware
Spyware Doctor

Virus/Trojan/Worm Removal
Avast
AVG

Firewall
Comodo Firewall(There is a free edition of it.)

Commercial Softwares

Adware/Spyware Removal
Spyware Doctor and Ad adware have a commercial version which needs money.

Virus/Trojan/Worm Removal
Avast and AVG has a commercial version
Bitdefender
Kaspersky
(Any guesses why I did not include Norton and Mcafee.)

Firewall
Zonealarm(Known to be the best firewall out there.)

I would personally also recommend Trend Micro Internet Security for the retail list. Frequent updates, doesn't hog resources, and lots of nice features. It has a wireless network monitor to make sure no one's stealing your internets, and if you have a copy of it on every computer on your network (you can get a bargain on multiple user keys) you can control the security of the entire network from one machine. Don't want to go upstairs to make your sister do a virus scan? That's fine. Do it for her. :)

I haven't tried it yet but i have seen quite a few people impressed with Sandboxie.

Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Benefits of the Isolated Sandbox

* Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.

* Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don't leak into Windows.

* Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can't break out of the sandbox and can't infect your real system.

* Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.

Cool.I downloaded the sandboxie.Oh I forgot about Trend Micro..Heard that it is good but have not tried it.

Rootkit removal/Detection
Darkspy
Icesword
Tcpview
Process Explorer
Gnome

My computer originally came with McAfee. So that's what I use for now. Apparently it runs out soon, but it's okay.

Advanced SystemCare Free is also a good program. It has a commercial one, but the free one is awesome. It has everything, completely. Defrag, spyware detector, can free up virtual memory, and it overall makes my computer run smoother.

I am using Kaspersky Inernet Security 2009. It protects from everything, it has firewall, antivirus, trojan, anti banner and alot of other stuff. And what is more impressing, it works. Since I install it and refresh its bases viruses didn't pass on my pc.

Oh, and if you need something just to clean some infected computer, I mean realy clean up. then use AVZ - its free, you don't need to install it. Download bases and go to protect clean computer of your friend!!!

Can any of these free programs actually remove problem programs? The other computer here has something in it right now that keeps popping up a fake security warning that prompts the user to download some security software.

Also, does Sandboxie slow down the computer any?

LonelyDragon said:
Can any of these free programs actually remove problem programs? The other computer here has something in it right now that keeps popping up a fake security warning that prompts the user to download some security software.
Ya,check out for ad adware or spyware doctor.Try spyware blaster too.

For people who have important files that you do not want others to see:
TrueCrypt

For Mozilla User
Download NoScript for security reasons.(It is a mozilla extension.)Most of the websites you go have a external source that may link you to some ad ware or trojan.

For encryption:
Use GPG - don't use any propriety honeysuckle like PGP (which contained a 'feature' which allowed the password to be bypassed - rendering it useless. This was because certain corporate customers had requested this 'Feature'). GPG isn't just for email, it works great for encrypting files, and as it is open-source, you can audit the source yourself if you want to.

Remember, everyone, to really read into what you decide to get. Don't download/install a hundred anti-virus and anti-spam programs. If you do have multiple ones, they tend to conflict each other. So, read into what you want, and compare to see which meets your needs best, then get it.

Latest posts

Back