Self Help Books

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah G

Reaction score
After a horrible meltdown last week I'm absorbing myself in various self-help and personal development books. My main goal is to be more emotionally stable as I spiral into dark, bleak moods very quickly and struggle to get back out of them, which is awful.
Kind of annoying is the constant advice to 'call a friend' 'go out with friends' 'meet a friend for coffee' 'create a support network' even 'take regular vacations' 'go skydiving'!
I'm pretty okay with being a loner, it's the stigma that's tiresome? Books that assume a supportive partner, family, group of friends, employment and disposable income make me feel worse about myself. Well, I suppose they're 80% helpful at least and we have to make the effort if we want positive change.

Anyone got any recommendations for books they've found useful?

My goal is to have more control over my emotions and have less days where I cry on my bed and pray for death.

Last edited:
Licorice tea and flowers. Go out were you think it's pretty.

My guess is your solitude is causing deep depression. The above is my remedy after many failed pharmaceutical attempts. Flowers of course remind of spring, and spring breaks the winter dull.

Licorice... licorice root. Not anise (pronounced ah-niece). There is an Egyptian licorice tea that is pretty good. Natural licorice root in powder, or just the licorice root capsules. Sorry I can't back this up. I researched it yeas ago. I can't really recall any of it. I noticed after bingeing on licorice for days (I just like licorice) I felt less depressed, so I looked it up. There is supporting data.

You have to be positive to attain positive gain. That means you have to consciously recognize when you are being negative. Turn it around positively and eventually positive will be more natural.

I think self help is better conveyed in a meme than a book. The one liners are easier to absorb and relate to than those books. You might subscribe to a website that delivers happy email every day.

You are somebody. Do things that matter to you. Me, I used to sketch but a neurological infection (Lyme disease, Toxo, maybe both) destroyed a lot of my fine motor nerves, I can't draw stick figures any more. Talk about depressed, when your run to activity isn't there. So now I write... draw with words. It doesn't always help in the long run but it takes me away from my woes for a while.

So, tell me what you like to do. What would you'd like to but don't think you can?

I don't know many self-help books but long time ago I was fascinated with writings of Anthony de Mello. I did find them helpful in the past.

I don't know many self-help books but long time ago I was fascinated with writings of Anthony de Mello. I did find them helpful in the past.
Oh he looks good. I've added "Stop Fixing Yourself" to my Scribd list. I stopped with the self-help after a short binge on them. Most of the ones I read were dialectical behavioural therapy and it turns out the last step is to find spiritual meaning in emotional suffering. Seems like everything leads back to spiritual life, as I suspected all along. Anthony De Mello should fit in well with my current trend, thanks for the tip!

...Seems like everything leads back to spiritual life, as I suspected all along...
I've come to similar realisation recently :) which is rather annoying when seen from my current perspective. I don't consider myself a spiritual person.

You've asked earlier about the technique I mentioned. It's broadly about the Spiritual Exercises by Loyola and some particular techniques taught. I wouldn't advise it. The text itself is archaic and undertaking these exercises requires some proper guidance, and well, faith. I'd love to try it again but it seems impossible for many reasons. I may take some plain silent retreat instead. I'm ploughing through the book though, hoping I can still find something relevant to my situation.

I'm really thankful to you for Tara Brach!

I've come to similar realisation recently :) which is rather annoying when seen from my current perspective. I don't consider myself a spiritual person.

You've asked earlier about the technique I mentioned. It's broadly about the Spiritual Exercises by Loyola and some particular techniques taught. I wouldn't advise it. The text itself is archaic and undertaking these exercises requires some proper guidance, and well, faith. I'd love to try it again but it seems impossible for many reasons. I may take some plain silent retreat instead. I'm ploughing through the book though, hoping I can still find something relevant to my situation.

I'm really thankful to you for Tara Brach!
I've started listening to A De Mello already, it's very good. It's like a chilled version of Pema Chodron, who I love but all those slogans and Tibetan words are a lot 😬
De Mello is saying just be aware, that's it.
Tara Brach is such a blessing.

I have plans to buy or download this book

The Way to Happiness A Common Sense Guide for a Better Living

Few individuals would argue the fact that we live in a noisy, dangerous and somewhat angry society. Individuals looking for answers and solutions to the many problems of mankind often find themselves turning to the wrong solutions — like drugs, crime and fighting. Luckily, there are better and more workable solutions, as outlined in The Way to Happiness. The Way to Happiness is a moral code based entirely on common sense. It was originally published in 1981 with the purpose of reversing moral decline and helping to restore integrity, trust and happiness among all mankind. It was written by educator and humanitarian L. Ron Hubbard, and contains twenty-one basic principles that, when applied, can guide an individual into living a much higher quality of life. These principles, make up a code of conduct that can be followed by anyone, no matter their race, colour or creed, and they have the power to repair and strengthen the bonds between all mankind. In addition to being easily grasped and immediately applicable to every individual who reads it, The Way to Happiness holds a Guinness World Record as the single most translated non-religious book ever published. It holds great power, as those who have read it recognises that their actions affect the lives of everyone around them just as much as the actions of others around them affect their own lives. In this way, The Way to Happiness has a ripple effect, spreading its communication of kindness, compassion and respect to more and more individuals in the society as each individual shares its principles with those they care about around them.

Latest posts

Back