Serious ?. Do you think people are getting dumber?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't there? With cancel culture and everyone being offended over everything? And things like ChatGPT and Google (or Bing or whatever you choose) doing everyone's homework for them.
Most undergraduate courses involve regurgitation so it's neither here nor there. Although people's research skills certainly are worse, the information being just handed to them in course packs and reading lists.

As for cancel culture, you can add Trump supporters and QAnon in with that.

Last edited:
Most undergraduate courses involve regurgitation so it's neither here nor there. Although people's research skills certainly are worse, the information being just handed to them in course packs and reading lists.

I think that's a rather unfair assessment. I'm not a big fan of Trump the person, but as a President in the US, it can argued there has been far worse.
Cancel culture is as rampant on the right as it is on the left. One can argue it's more rampant on the left, actually. As a center left person, it bothers me. It's just the reasons that differ, but either side wants to shut the other up and not many of them want to meet halfway.

Isn't there? With cancel culture and everyone being offended over everything? And things like ChatGPT and Google (or Bing or whatever you choose) doing everyone's homework for them.
Hmmm wait so is being easily offended linked to intelligence ? I always thought it was the opposite like its harder to offend someone who is “stupid”.

Omg I watched debates with trump supporters and I genuinely cant understand why they always seem to bully their opposition? Its like they say something offensive so they won, or they talk over the other person and then in their mind they have won the debate. Idk, very aggressive.

Hmmm wait so is being easily offended linked to intelligence ? I always thought it was the opposite like its harder to offend someone who is “stupid”.
In a sense, yes, though I think it's more a backslide of society in general. Maybe it's just my opinion, I don't know, but I look at cancel culture as a type of manipulation. Directing people where others (society, the government, whatever) think they SHOULD be. Like "Hey, you can't have this opinion, you can't do this, you can't do that." Whereas before, yes, some people may have been offended or hurt, but it also toughened them up, made them stronger because they had to learn that not everyone is going to agree with you about this that or whatever and not everyone is going to say things that you want to hear. "In one ear and out the other" is no longer common place. Today's world is more "you can't say that, I'm telling."

Omg I watched debates with trump supporters and I genuinely cant understand why they always seem to bully their opposition? Its like they say something offensive so they won, or they talk over the other person and then in their mind they have won the debate. Idk, very aggressive.
lol, honey, that's politics in general here. Politics is ENTIRELY about attacking the other party so they look better. It's not just Trump, it's literally EVERYONE. (Okay, maybe not EVERYONE, but the majority of them.)

I think the answers to the gun problem is deregulation and more guns. If everyone was armed, it would be a great deterrent. Everyone. It'd be like the cold war, it would seeve as a great means to scare everyone else into passivity.
They should sell them everywhere. Gas stations, shopping marts, drugstores. Candy stores could sell little guns that shoot explosive fish.
🐟

In a sense, yes, though I think it's more a backslide of society in general. Maybe it's just my opinion, I don't know, but I look at cancel culture as a type of manipulation. Directing people where others (society, the government, whatever) think they SHOULD be. Like "Hey, you can't have this opinion, you can't do this, you can't do that." Whereas before, yes, some people may have been offended or hurt, but it also toughened them up, made them stronger because they had to learn that not everyone is going to agree with you about this that or whatever and not everyone is going to say things that you want to hear. "In one ear and out the other" is no longer common place. Today's world is more "you can't say that, I'm telling."
Thats true, honestly getting people fired is like everyones favourite pass time and I always think. Why? What is the actual point? But idk 🤣

lol, honey, that's politics in general here. Politics is ENTIRELY about attacking the other party so they look better. It's not just Trump, it's literally EVERYONE. (Okay, maybe not EVERYONE, but the majority of them.)
I just remember civil discourse before trump entered the scene or maybe im too young to remember accurately 😂

That's a very one sided take on it.
Go to youtube and search for some of the things said by far left US politicians, like Maxine Waters, Cory Bush, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and those who follow them, and you will hear some ultra aggressive things and downright ugly things.

I don't know if there is a backslide...pretty sure there were dumb people back in the day. It's just that now with social media we get to see them out in their full glory.

Exactly. Obama insulted half the country with his "clinging to God and guns" diatribe, but the leftist US media agrees with that sentiment and did not take him to task on it.

That's a very one sided take on it.
Go to youtube and search for some of the things said by far left US politicians, like Maxine Waters, Cory Bush, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib and those who follow them, and you will hear some ultra aggressive things and downright ugly things.
No thats true but I mean during actual debates, Trump supporters like talk over the over person and act uncivil, in almost every debate I watched, idk maybe the media like to only show clips of them acting that way, but they say offensive personal junk then say “free speech” and I think…. how has the art of debating turned to this?

No thats true but I mean during actual debates, Trump supporters like talk over the over person and act uncivil, in almost every debate I watched, idk maybe the media like to only show clips of them acting that way, but they say offensive personal junk then say “free speech” and I think…. how has the art of debating turned to this?
Have you ever seen a debate with a BLM supporter or an Antifa member?
Or a "trans" activist?
IMO they are far, far worse.

Have you ever seen a debate with a BLM supporter or an Antifa member?
Or a "trans" activist?
IMO they are far, far worse.
Well I categorise them in the same place I put vegans and animal rights activists, so I guess I hold political debates to a higher standard, but idk…

Well I categorise them in the same place I put vegans and animal rights activists, so I guess I hold political debates to a higher standard, but idk…
As a vegan, I am HORRENDOUSLY offended that you have lumped me in with...politicians.
Frying_Pan_On_Head.gif
Trump supporters like talk over the over person and act uncivil
You should check out ANY conversation George Stephanopoulos has with anyone. He's so arrogant and interrupts people ALL the time.
idk maybe the media like to only show clips of them acting that way,
They definitely do that....for everything. lol

Well I'm a little confused now.
When you say "debates with Trump supporters", to whom are you actually referring?
Do you mean people online, like political websites such as mediaite.com?
Or commentators on TV like Sean Hannity?
Because I can tell you that commentators who favored Obama and now favor Biden are every bit as one sided and unwilling to compromise, and can be downright nasty. Some examples are Lawrence O'Donnell, Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo and especially Joy Reid.

Latest posts

Back