Sinister sister

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
Why do I allow my sister to make me feel insecure, uneducated, and a second-class citizen? I feel like a gefilte fish( fish without a backbone). Whenever I try to stand up for myself, I fail. I hate her! I hate myself today. Despite not answering her texts, I still manage to feel bad. Poof, I wish I could say, You have no power here! Fu-k you and your red sole shoes. Does anyone else a selfish, toxic family member?

sucks that you are getting abuse, especially from a family member. They are supposed to be the ones always in our corner no matter what.

To answer your question, no, my family is quite supportive. In fact, I am the one who is sometimes cold to them and keep them at a distance.

However, It wasn't always like this growing up. You see, I have two brothers, one older and one twin (non-identical). We all suffer from bipolar disorder with varying degrees. Luckily, I have had the easiest time with it, relative to my brothers. Anyway, back on track, my brothers were very toxic when we were struggling, angsty teenagers. I remember always dreading any outing with friends because I knew my twin brother would ruin the atmosphere by being insulting, brash, paranoid, and overall quite toxic to our friends, which we shared. He would always get into fights with people over the most mundane honeysuckle. I don't have an exact memory, I think I blocked that part of my life up outta my active memory. He would always accuse people of conspiring against him and talking trash about him, even our parents weren't spared that behaviour, that's how deep his paranoia went. I remember harbouring this inner hatred for him. Hatred that I never expressed for fear of the effect it might have on him and our family. I still feel traces of this hatred deep inside me.

My older brother, on the other hand, was more chill....BUT, he had a lot of demons. He was the first in our family to start drinking and smoking and when my parents would talk to him about his behaviour he would lash out in disturbing ways. Suffice it to say, one time, he said he would slit my mother's throat.

Anyway, they are much better now that they are on their meds so all's well that ends well I guess.

No. I broke all ties. That was a huge relief for me. My brother did try to get back into my life a few years ago. But, I just ignored him 100%. Then he finally stopped trying. It was kind of funny because he kept saying it was really important. He really needed to speak to me. But, he wouldn't say what it was. Obviously it wasn't that important. Ha! ha!

No. I broke all ties. That was a huge relief for me. My brother did try to get back into my life a few years ago. But, I just ignored him 100%. Then he finally stopped trying. It was kind of funny because he kept saying it was really important. He really needed to speak to me. But, he wouldn't say what it was. Obviously it wasn't that important. Ha! ha!
Thank you! I appreciate your post; they always make me feel better.

No sisters, but an older brother who is troublesome. Handsome, or least in a rugged way. Extremely talented with music. Quite charming and witty too. But a conspiracy theorist, hypocritical leftie, although not the wet type. Work shy; he'll graft when it suits, but probably leave when you need him the most. Devoid of responsibility. Unreliable. But his worse trait is that he preaches. The first person to point out anyone's flaws, and tell you how you ought to live life, is a 55 year old teenager with a bad attitude.

Have you considered blocking her for a while?

As for toxic family, my brother disowned me and wouldn't allow me to see my niece and nephews. All because of the crackwhore skank he married and her lies, which he chose to believe over me. But now his kids are over 18 and two of the three want nothing to do with him and I see them all the time. lol

Is she older or younger... and how long has she been treating you like this? I'd cut her out of my life. Clean break. It sounds as if she's making you miserable and you don't deserve it at all.
Especially if she has a clue how you've been feeling alone, lonely, not able to go out and about. She's taking advantage of you when you're weakened. That's cruel. Not sisterly.
Withdraw from her with whatever reasons you can give, to make her leave you alone. And look at practical things to say to her when she does or says anything that makes you feel bad. Send her a copy of a book about how to be a compassionate person or good sister. That should give her a message.

Have you considered blocking her for a while?

As for toxic family, my brother disowned me and wouldn't allow me to see my niece and nephews. All because of the crackwhore skank he married and her lies, which he chose to believe over me. But now his kids are over 18 and two of the three want nothing to do with him and I see them all the time. lol
You give me hope!

Is she older or younger... and how long has she been treating you like this? I'd cut her out of my life. Clean break. It sounds as if she's making you miserable and you don't deserve it at all.
Especially if she has a clue how you've been feeling alone, lonely, not able to go out and about. She's taking advantage of you when you're weakened. That's cruel. Not sisterly.
Withdraw from her with whatever reasons you can give, to make her leave you alone. And look at practical things to say to her when she does or says anything that makes you feel bad. Send her a copy of a book about how to be a compassionate person or good sister. That should give her a message.
She is my older sister and has made me feel horrible for 20+ years. I do like and will take your advice, and I love the book idea. Now to shop on Amazon. Thank You!!!!!

I'm sorry that this is something that you are struggling with. Never be afraid to take space from or block someone who is hurting you, especially a family member.

I have an older sister that I do not communicate with much these days. I had to completely cut ties with her for several years, due to abuse and dysfunction that happened while I was a child. She's always been someone who will throw people's pasts in their faces, but at the point I cut her out, refused to accept any of her own. At that time, it was very clear that there would be no reconciliation. Life has calmed down for both of us over the last many years, but my younger sister and her still get caught up in gossiping about everyone, so I'm not sure I will ever trust enough to be more than civil. One thing I can say about us, is we haven't blocked contact with kids or anything. It's just between us.

No sisters, but an older brother who is troublesome. Handsome, or least in a rugged way. Extremely talented with music. Quite charming and witty too. But a conspiracy theorist, hypocritical leftie, although not the wet type. Work shy; he'll graft when it suits, but probably leave when you need him the most. Devoid of responsibility. Unreliable. But his worse trait is that he preaches. The first person to point out anyone's flaws, and tell you how you ought to live life, is a 55 year old teenager with a bad attitude.
Oh, I know someone who fits almost the same description and is almost the same age.
And he's trying to ruin my life right now ...:(

She is my older sister and has made me feel horrible for 20+ years. I do like and will take your advice, and I love the book idea. Now to shop on Amazon. Thank You!!!!!

We must be able to keep such people away from us. We must not allow ourselves to be manipulated, emotionally tortured, forced to self-blame and suffer, because they are simply selfish and devoid of feelings of attachment, responsibility and care.❤️

I'm sorry that this is something that you are struggling with. Never be afraid to take space from or block someone who is hurting you, especially a family member.

I have an older sister that I do not communicate with much these days. I had to completely cut ties with her for several years, due to abuse and dysfunction that happened while I was a child. She's always been someone who will throw people's pasts in their faces, but at the point I cut her out, refused to accept any of her own. At that time, it was very clear that there would be no reconciliation. Life has calmed down for both of us over the last many years, but my younger sister and her still get caught up in gossiping about everyone, so I'm not sure I will ever trust enough to be more than civil. One thing I can say about us, is we haven't blocked contact with kids or anything. It's just between us.
How does one block a telephone number? I have an I phone 10. Another question When you block someone, do they know they are blocked? Thanks, I am 69 years young and new to the technological revolution.

Hi Found a book - Thanks again!!!!!

Count on Me: Tales of Sisterhoods and Fierce Friendships

Why do I allow my sister to make me feel insecure, uneducated, and a second-class citizen? I feel like a gefilte fish( fish without a backbone). Whenever I try to stand up for myself, I fail. I hate her! I hate myself today. Despite not answering her texts, I still manage to feel bad. Poof, I wish I could say, You have no power here! Fu-k you and your red sole shoes. Does anyone else a selfish, toxic family member?
My sister is the same, she's a cruel person, she spreads awful lies about me, she even messaged guys pretending to be me once, she messaged some explicit things... she hates me, I understand her reasons but I wish we could put that aside and be like sisters... like real sisters.

My older sister is posh and can be a ***** but we keep loose contact via social media. She gets angry when I won't do what she thinks is best but 🤷‍♀️

My Ex-older sister is too posh. She was constantly manipulating me to do what she wanted. Afterward, I hated myself. I am happy I blocked her. Thanks to the forum, I got up the nerve and learned how to do so!!

Latest posts

Back