So Depressed! Please Advise...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelygirl

Just going through a really, really rough patch right now. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I thought, 'Great! Now I'm 'officially' crazy!'

I've had trouble sleeping for the past few months--no matter how tired I am I still fall asleep but then wake up. I'd like to take sleeping pills but I have sleep apnea and the sleeping pills actually make it worse. I refuse to use that CPAP face mask thing for the sleep apnea because I have claustrophobia.

So, I guess you could say I'm: Tired, overweight, depressed, anxious, unable to sleep, worried about the future, worried about the past, and feeling helpless in the present!

Did anybody else have the diagnosis Bipolar Disorder? What did you do?

lonelygirl said:
Did anybody else have the diagnosis Bipolar Disorder? What did you do?

I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I don't have Bipolar Disorder but was recently diagnosed with something else that makes me tired, gain weight, worried and feeling helpless. I hope things get better for you.

I have been talking with a psychologist just recently and she is pretty sure I am bi-polar I am probaly going to start taking medication I am kind of torn between Depakote and Ablify right now.

It is something you might want to look into though.

LG, what's up? Well never been diagnosis but my moods swing deep. What are you worried about future-wise. N why would you worry about the past.. have you done something that you are afraid will surface itself?

I'm sorry to hear that you are depressed. You should tell us more about what you are going through though. Whenever you get the time, someone here may be able to give you valuable advice...

Hey guys,

Thanks for caring and listening.

The past---I am just a REALLY negative person. I really focus a lot on my FAILURES and the things I've done wrong. I feel like a failure as a mother and a wife, overall.

I WANTED to be this thin, upbeat, happy wife and mother. Instead I was this fat, dumpy, depressed, anxious, messy house, ordering takeout 6 days a week type of mom. What the fresia?!!!!

The medicines the doctor prescribed are Lamictal (mood stabilizer) and Topamax (really for epilepsy, though being used off-label as a mood stabilizer.) It's been only a week, but it sure as heck ain't working!

Hello LG, sorry to hear that you're feeling down :(

I don't have any experience with pills or diagnoses or doctors, but I can also be pretty negative at times. I have all these mistakes I've done years ago hanging over me, reminding me about them. It's so stupid, I don't even care about it, but they're still always in the back of my head. I read a good article in the newspaper last week that discussed this matter a bit, and a woman wrote that you have to allow yourself to FORGIVE yourself for the mistakes you've done in the past. Everyone make mistakes. It's human. You have to let yourself accept that

Try to focus more on positive aspects of yourself, and hold on to that. I'm sure you have plenty ^^

Hope you're feeling better soon

Dear lonely girl

You have to give the medication time. Especially the lamictal. It's highly recommended that you SLOWLY increase the dose . This helps to avoid the dreaded rash that can be associated with this med. The sample packs are set up this way. Increase 25 mg.s every two three weeks So start out 25mg few weeks , than 50 mg, than 75 etc....

Everybody has a unique experience with any med. I am on lamictal as a mood stabilizer. Up to 75 mg. Not even at the peak dose yet it's been few months. I keep a journal ( a small notebook) to write about how i feel physically & emotionally i find this helps to bring to dr. visits.

I've gained a little weight 5lbs. not sure if it's med related or not This is my only concern so far. Like I said it's going to be different for everybody

Good luck and let us know how you are doing

chris

Hey Chris,

THANK YOU for explaining about WHY they make you take so long to work up to the Lamictal therapeutic dose! It seems like it's gonna take FOREVER just to feel decent. In the meantime, I feel plagued with fear, anxiety, and depression all day every day. Can you tell me which meds you take, which meds you've tried? I feel like a walking pharmacy these days.

I'm on: Lamictal, just starting the sample pack, topamax, beginning dose, xanax as needed (try to keep it to twice a day), flonase every night, sometimes benadryl to help me sleep, AND my asthma inhaler! WOW it's ridiculous how many meds I"m on!

LG, do you feel tired during the day a lot? Like you could take a nap more than once a day? Do you feel like your eyes are irritated and get red a lot? Do you wake up in the morning still feeling tired? Do you get headaches from your fatigue? Do you get nervous and anxious a lot around other people? Can you not handle stress very well?

I'm just asking because I've been diagnosed as Bipolar by every pill doctor I've ever been too but I am really not. I had an adrenal gland problem (something I had to figure out myself using the internet). I can't do any kind of exercise anymore (besides walking really) or use my body to do hard manual labor or I get all those symptoms I asked you about above. This may not be the case with you, but I thought I would mention it in case it is and you have no idea. It would be a shame if it was and you didn't know.

Hey LG, hope you feeling better. I pm me you so check your message! I mean honestly when my mood swing hit, there really nothing I can do, except somehow just try to feel as numb as possible. Sadly most of the time my mood swing hit is in the morning and night or whenever I wake up, so therefore I can't get back to sleep and I don't know, I just feel so depress.

Wait, that didn't help:(

I guess I would be lying to you if I said if you feel better soon. I'm currently on Lexapro for my MDD and it already been 1 week and 1/2 and I still avoid people as much as possible. My psychiatrist said it would take 3 weeks, so I know it really hard and it take a whole lot of patience. It hard especially when you try to pretend to your family everything is alright, yet you have to seek help alone. I wish my family would actually care for once, but enough of that, that just some negative thought.

But hey, I'm going through the same thing as you LG, and I have like 8 more disorder I have to deal with, so think of me when you feel depress, and I'll think of you. Your not the only one even though you feel that way.

Take Care

yo, LG its been a long time since i spoke to you. hummm LG, first of all, one thing about depressed people, is that they rely too much on their medication to fix their lives. Ultimately, medication can only help stabalize the condition. Bi-polar disorder is just another name for depression. First of all, LG, do not always pile the blame on yourself. Life is always does not always come out as planned. I wanted to be a microbiologist and i ended up studying engineering. The fact is, LG, every woman that has had a child before will become fat. The thing that you do not see is that what countless moms had to endure to lose wieght after childbirth. Some just starved and others tried sliming pills. All I would recommend is a correct diet (you can try a high protein diet) and excercise (start by maybe talking long walks). Though, I would be lying to you if i told you that you wold look as gorgeous as you were a teen, I am sure you could shed some weight. Fred not anyways about your house. Its messy cause sometimes, work commitments and family can be a total killer. The truth to be told, everyone's house looks just as messy. Those houses you see on the Tv, they ought to be studio sets caused they are frighteningly neat. As for the takeouts, like i say, you are a working mom. Don't be too hard on yourself. Haha, the fact is, I have been eating takeaways since i was in high school. And not a single bit did i blame my mom. What matters most importantly that she was there for me when i needed help. So LG, do cheery up. Note, nothing can really bring happiness into your heart except yourself. Left go of the pain and look towards the future. Cause the future is where we are heading and not the past.

Thanks for being nice guys. I hope I can make it through this depression. I have a TON of things to do in terms of work, but all I want to do is lie around the house, cry, eat, and I'm spending far too much money!

lonelygirl said:
I've had trouble sleeping for the past few months--no matter how tired I am I still fall asleep but then wake up. I'd like to take sleeping pills but I have sleep apnea and the sleeping pills actually make it worse. I refuse to use that CPAP face mask thing for the sleep apnea because I have claustrophobia.

So, I guess you could say I'm: Tired, overweight, depressed, anxious, unable to sleep, worried about the future, worried about the past, and feeling helpless in the present!

I'm a bit late to this party but I just wanted to send some "feel better" wishes your way.

I had a friend awhile back that had to wear one of those CPAP face masks. I can see why you wouldn't want to wear it. They're bulky and noisy and they make you sound a bit like Darth Vader when you breathe.

Latest posts

Back