So how shitty is everyone's birthday?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the exception of a few texts from my immediate family I usually spend my birthdays having dinner and a drink alone. How does everyone else spend their birthdays when you basically don't have anyone?

I spent my last birthday at the vet, getting check-ups for my and my father's dogs, because that's when he scheduled it.

I'd like for it to be a special day, but it just isn't. Sometimes even my immediate family doesn't remember. I try to treat myself to something, like a piece of cake, but that's as good as it gets.

For half my birthdays as a child, I completely forgot that it was actually a thing that happened. It was just like every other day. And since I live abroad and I can't always be in the same place as my friends, I'm on my own for them occasionally, and that's fine. It's just another day in the end. If I can be bothered to do something, I go out for a meal. Or not. I don't see what the big deal is to be honest. There are worse things happening in the world than being alone on a birthday.

Everydaystruggle33 said:
With the exception of a few texts from my immediate family I usually spend my birthdays having dinner and a drink alone. How does everyone else spend their birthdays when you basically don't have anyone?

The exact same way. But I don't even get texts from anyone. I also get stoned and go see a movie.

I mostly spend it in work.

Birthdays aren't as a big deal for me anymore, it's one of those things that's good when you're a kid, kinda like Halloween.

I went to a new hairdresser and after 4.5 hours came out with much less hair and some weird yellow stripes (also much less money) - I had better birthdays...

This year I'll be alone as its on a Sunday and the buses are not so good but I will have a meal out with a friend the day before.

Birthdays aren't that big a deal anymore. I don't bother telling anyone and have even forgotten about it once. There's no point to it.

shitty to the point that i even forgot it was my birthday.

Aisha said:
For half my birthdays as a child, I completely forgot that it was actually a thing that happened. It was just like every other day. And since I live abroad and I can't always be in the same place as my friends, I'm on my own for them occasionally, and that's fine. It's just another day in the end. If I can be bothered to do something, I go out for a meal. Or not. I don't see what the big deal is to be honest. There are worse things happening in the world than being alone on a birthday.

I get that isn't a big deal for everyone and no it isn't end of the world to be alone on your birthday. But not everyone shares your viewpoint and for me I don't think it's shitty to wish you could just a little acknowledgement that it's your birthday.

Everydaystruggle33 said:
Aisha said:

I get that isn't a big deal for everyone and no it isn't end of the world to be alone on your birthday. But not everyone shares your viewpoint and for me I don't think it's shitty to wish you could just a little acknowledgement that it's your birthday.

Acknowledgement of one's existence is always nice. I certainly don't disagree with you on that. I just don't feel that there is any need for an adult to want too much ruckus. Although sometimes a little ruckus is fun. To each his/her own. :)

Wayfarer said:
It's nice if someone remembers though.

I spent my birthday alone back in July. People on this site found out about it somehow and made it a very nice day for me. My birthday wasn't bad at all.

Aisha said:
Everydaystruggle33 said:
Aisha said:

Acknowledgement of one's existence is always nice. I certainly don't disagree with you on that. I just don't feel that there is any need for an adult to want too much ruckus. Although sometimes a little ruckus is fun. To each his/her own. :)

Adults do celebrate their birthdays even stranger some even have parties held in their honor.

BeyondShy said:
Wayfarer said:
It's nice if someone remembers though.

I spent my birthday alone back in July. People on this site found out about it somehow and made it a very nice day for me. My birthday wasn't bad at all.

That's pretty cool

Everydaystruggle33 said:
BeyondShy said:

That's pretty cool

It sure was. They are a nice group of people here.

Everydaystruggle33 said:
Aisha said:

Adults do celebrate their birthdays even stranger some even have parties held in their honor.

Yes, I have had parties held 'in my honour' as an adult too. But I've also been alone for a few of my birthdays as well. I just don't feel a need or a want for the first, although I don't mind it happening. I don't mind the second either. But I agree that it's nice to have an acknowledgement from people I care about, even if it's via text or any other method. To me, it's just another day as I've said, but I understand different people have different priorities and will desire different things in life, so I'm sorry you feel that I have diminished or lessened something you value. I hope you have many pleasant birthdays to look forward to in the future.

As a boy my family always gave a party for me with friends from school invited....they usually got enough of the right ones to come that the ones I wasn't so fond of didn't make a real difference.

But the whole thing always seemed too contrived and faky and I dreaded my birthdays. So poor me, I got the parties but didn't like it.....get the violins out.

As an adult i insist on minimizing any birthday observations; dinner at a restaurant and a card or two. That's it. My best ever 2 birthdays were on sightseeing tours in UK.....nobody knew it was my birthday.

Celebrate someone's birthday. Do it to enjoy the doing and to make someone feel the very opposite of how you feel about your birthday not being celebrated by others. You MIGHT (key word there because WILL is not guaranteed, but that shouldn't stop you because the GIVING is super powerful in itself) end up having someone surprise you in return. And IF you are pleasantly surprised, try not to allow yourself to think it was only because you did something for them. That will be difficult, and it might even be true. BUT it is entirely possible that they'd been longing to celebrate the birthday of a "friend in development" just as you'd done for them. You just showed them how it's done and signaled the okay for them to direct that friendly energy towards you. You'll accept it and they will come to know that you appreciated it.

Aisha said:
Everydaystruggle33 said:
Aisha said:

Yes, I have had parties held 'in my honour' as an adult too. But I've also been alone for a few of my birthdays as well. I just don't feel a need or a want for the first, although I don't mind it happening. I don't mind the second either. But I agree that it's nice to have an acknowledgement from people I care about, even if it's via text or any other method. To me, it's just another day as I've said, but I understand different people have different priorities and will desire different things in life, so I'm sorry you feel that I have diminished or lessened something you value. I hope you have many pleasant birthdays to look forward to in the future.

To be honest your responses did come off dismissive. If someone created thread saying they were unhappy about spending the holidays alone I wouldn't respond with Christmas is mostly for children and isn't something that everyone celebrates so I don't see the big deal. I can appreciate that all people have differing values in life and respect that even though I may not agree with a particular thing, I can still empathize with them.

Everydaystruggle33 said:
To be honest your responses did come off dismissive. If someone created thread saying they were unhappy about spending the holidays alone I wouldn't respond with Christmas is mostly for children and isn't something that everyone celebrates so I don't see the big deal. I can appreciate that all people have differing values in life and respect that even though I may not agree with a particular thing, I can still empathize with them.

Seems to me she just answered a question and offered her opinion. She wasn't being dismissive.

Latest posts

Back