Social anxiety seems to hold me back

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leapfrog00

Reaction score
It seems so hard for me to be open. I have group therapy once a week and I go again tomorrow. Every time I want to talk about something specific, something holds me back. I don't know if it's fear, anxiety, or a little of both. I really want to talk about what's on my mind when I'm there. I seem to get more panic attacks on days when I'm going to be around other people also. Is it normal for anxiety to do this?

Back when I had panic attacks, the more I would think about something, the more I would panic. Try to focus on something else. Or better yet, play it out in your head, only make sure it has a positive spin on it. So you talk about what you want to talk about. They listen, they sympathize, they understand, maybe they even have suggestions to help you.

It seems so hard for me to be open. I have group therapy once a week and I go again tomorrow. Every time I want to talk about something specific, something holds me back. I don't know if it's fear, anxiety, or a little of both. I really want to talk about what's on my mind when I'm there. I seem to get more panic attacks on days when I'm going to be around other people also. Is it normal for anxiety to do this?
short answer yes, I 2 have group therapy sessions and this happens to me as well. I have not been around others most of my life and the feeling of sharing with a crowd gives me anxiety in open public. know it's not your fault there is other forces inside your subconscious that makes you feel this way things maybe in your past that hinder you from speaking upon certain subjects. The way I am beating this is I have more one on one sessions with others and then add more people to the conversation I explain why I need to do this to the instructor (mainly it's because my mental health.) but it is a normal process of opening up. If ever you wish to chat with someone I am here (you can message me) if not its ok I understand I am currently going through the same thing, but I am getting out of my comfort zone because I need to its a school and therapy session at the same time and I chose to partake in it, so I am trying my best. (Note not all situations are the same but the underline issue is that there are things that are holding us back from sharing mainly in the background of our minds.) thank you for your time.

I spent a year in group therapy. It's a slow process but does help. Still have anxiety but it isn't crippling. You can do it, stick with it and work through the exposure and mindfulness exercises.

I seem to get more panic attacks on days when I'm going to be around other people also. Is it normal for anxiety to do this?
It is for me. I've dealt with this anxiety since I was 12 years old.

What helps me is deep-breathing. Meditating and / or listening to a Dharma talk, usually by Thich Nhat Hanh - can quell my anxiety... If you're not into religion/spirituality you could try focusing on your breathing, trying to focus more on the fact that whatever we are scared of/about isn't as big of a deal as we are making it in our minds. I'm not going to pretend I have gotten over this, because I haven't. just offering some solutions that may be of use to you. I can relate, it's definitely held me back plenty in my life.. <3 I hope you feel better

"It's not awkward unless you make it awkward. So, just don't make it awkward."
- Autumn

She's right. But the trouble I always have with that is that it's really kind of only helpful BEFORE I freeze up, because it doesn't come to mind AFTER I freeze up.

I can handle small groups without my social anxiety being triggered. A room of 4 or 5 people usually won't phase me. Small, quiet, hole-in-the-wall pub or bar with maybe 15 or 20 people, I can deal, but only because I'm drinking. Anymore than that though, and yeah, I'll start to wig out.

I've always thought that being a musician with stage freight was a bit contradictory. But I met different people over the years who had the same problem and I gradually learned to relax into it after doing enough shows. Which is very ironic in its own considering that I don't play anymore. 😂

I pushed my limits with my social anxiety on purpose, to broaden and stretch my comfort zone. But also that's kind of the story of how I accidentally became an alcoholic in my early and middle 20s 😬 so like, maybe don't do it that much? IDK. 😅 I'm thankfully recovered now. :giggle:

Latest posts

Back