Social Skills

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colette

Reaction score
I just wanted to share something I find amusing. When ever I search the web using the keywords "lacking social skills" what pops up are websites relating to Autism and Partially Developmentally Disabled children. Now, I'm not autistic and don't have PDD but in my own way I do have some sort of PDD in the sense that because I was raised by wolves :) I never developed properly when it cames to social interaction and self-esteem.

I've been trying desperately to find books and resources for adults like myself but am at a loss. Is anyone having the same problem and does anyone else feel the same way?

Yes in a sense I feel the same way. My past of caring for my mother alone for 5 years without getting out much seem to cange me and my social skills went south. When I did get out among others I was awkward, nervious, and my conversation would not flow. I would always kick myself and say "why did I say that".
Other people do sense anomalies in behavior. If it makes them feel uncomfortable or "kills" their fun,.....they WILL shy away from you. You just have to have "social skills" to match and that's how we blend in. I still cannot do it!!. I hate the bars, parties, any gatherings. But I am working on it. I will not spend the rest of my life looking out a window. So I know what you are feeling in the lack of this thing called Social Skills. Many lonely people lack them and do not realize how others pick up on it. Good post!

Falco

I too have the same kind of feeling. I more feel like I have problem creating a deeper bond. I can mimic social skills in a way, so I can interact with people in situations where I don't have to see them anymore. I can't really talk to people when it becomes a deeper, more constant relation. I have also done the checking of the internet, and it really comes off as if you have an autistic disorder. For several years it felt like I didn't even have a core, like there was no real me. I am feeling more secure about that now, but I still don't really talk to people. I have accepted it though.

Falco said:
I would always kick myself and say "why did I say that".

Wow I do that like the half the time, the other half of the time I try and keep quiet to avoid having to say that. It's nice to now you're not alone.

Wow I do that like the half the time, the other half of the time I try and keep quiet to avoid having to say that. It's nice to now you're not alone.

Exactly how I feel. Which is why sometimes people think I'm quiet when they meet me.

Sorry...not nice to be raised by wolves. I identify my-self with you, like you I find it difficult to interact with another people and my degree of self-esteem is quite low. so yes you are not alone, maybe we have something in comun.

These are really interesting questions.  I definately lack the social skills that are involved in making friends (and as for forging relationships, just forget it).

Ironically, because I have spent my life pretending to be normal, I have had a lot of practice at fakery and some of my social skills are pretty sharp.  I relate well to people at work for instance (not in that they would want to spend time with me of course!).  I'm fine in formal settings - I could stand up and address a crowd without any problem.

Ha ha!  That's kind of funny, in a stupid way.  My life is strange.

Latest posts

Back