Solo travel options for an older single

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardour

Well known loser
Reaction score
Everywhere you go, there you are.

And also, there are young people, living the lives you never had, and they surely don't want a middle-aged man tagging along.

Which means doing everything alone, in unfamiliar surroundings, surrounded by groups of young adults or older couples with kids in tow.

It wouldn't be comfortable at a hostel where everyone else is at least 15 years younger than me. Or travelling to huge metropolitan cities with people enjoying the nightlife.

Also there's places I wouldn't travel, like SE Asia for example, due to stereotypes about older men and sex tourism.

That leaves getting out of civilization altogether on a tramping or climbing excursion, while I'm still physically capable.

I don't know. There's something about finally seeing the world with old eyes after a lifetime of emptiness and missed opportunities that destroys motivation.

Last edited:
Dude, your attitude is such, I wouldn't be surprised if a stripper gave you 100 dollars and a hug, you'd throw away the money because the money touched her butt and was given to her by horny men. With that kind of attitude it's like, "Why eat food if it's just going to turn into honeysuckle." It's bad enough being depressed and lonely, but, don't make it worse for yourself...

If you want to travel, and you CAN travel, and you have two working legs, and two working arms, and two eyes, and two ears that work... My god man, the sights you could see, the things you could hear, the places you could go, the dances you could join in on, the bars you could visit, the nature you could see...

Hell, if you had enough money, you could just put out an ad in the newspaper that says you are looking for a travel companion between a certain age bracket (totally platonic), and just offer them a free trip to be your wing man (a long shot to be sure, but the worst that can happen is no one replies...).

Young people aren't so bad either. I remember being young and knowing older people, and even having offers to hang out with them, and taking them up on it. Within' reason of course, adults are adults, young or old. And nobody gives a honeysuckle about what you are doing anyway. I worry a lot about what other people think, but, mostly they are too busy with their own stupid lives to care about my stupid life...

I think you are just afraid, so you make excuses and sour grapes out of everything. I'm terrified too, of a great many things; but, it is what it is. I make due with what I can..

Start small...

Last edited:
I mean it's bad enough living in my home city, having to walk to the station Friday night through the crowds of people out with friends.

Young people of this generation aren't bad at all. A hell of a lot nicer than the arseholes I grew up around. The problem is I want to be them.

It's your thinking that's making you uncomfortable. A benefit of modern life is that anyone has the freedom to do pretty much whatever they want and go wherever they want, not being able to enjoy it because the worry about social standards is a shitty way to think. Plus there's plenty of things you can do solitary, I've been on countless hikes and walks on my own in the country. Regardless I don't tend to care what others are doing around me, just learn to enjoy where you are or what you're doing.

I don't know. There's something about finally seeing the world with old eyes after a lifetime of emptiness and missed opportunities that destroys motivation.
You could look at this another way: after a lifetime of emptiness and missed opportunities, there's something about finally seeing the world with old eyes that inspires motivation.

I think one of your stumbling blocks, aside from fear, is comparing yourself to others. I've known so many people who go on solo adventures all the time - it's nothing unusual. You may find it to be a huge learning experience for yourself - cathartic, even. I think there's a lot to be said for standing on your own two feet and stepping out of your comfort zone. Just go!

Last edited:
I feel similarly. Its difficult because at my/our age our state is simply sub optimal and indicative of a big defect. And the shame of that defect stops me from doing stuff on my own.

In a way its in my head, as Bobs uncle always traveled alone and he was fine. Regardless the defect is still there and real.

On the other hand i feel like sitting still is just making that defect persist and even grow, so i do try progressing towards going on vacation by myself. Maybe just a weekend away at first, who knows.

Sorry to blabber about myself on your thread. Another part of my defect. 😎

I feel similarly. Its difficult because at my/our age our state is simply sub optimal and indicative of a big defect. And the shame of that defect stops me from doing stuff on my own.

In a way its in my head, as Bobs uncle always traveled alone and he was fine. Regardless the defect is still there and real.

On the other hand i feel like sitting still is just making that defect persist and even grow, so i do try progressing towards going on vacation by myself. Maybe just a weekend away at first, who knows.

Sorry to blabber about myself on your thread. Another part of my defect. 😎
Sub optimal as in past it, cynical, nothing feeling 'new' any more.

It's what the sight of others does to me. The envy.

Most destinations there would be groups of twenty somethings or young couples, spoiling it, because that same repetitive cycle of thoughts crops up.

I went for a short trip to Sydney a couple of years ago and it was like that, alone with my thoughts the entire time. I had to make conscious effort to suppress the sadness and depressive thought pattern, but why should it have to be that way? It should just be enjoyable, not a struggle.

Last edited:
Sub optimal as in past it, cynical, nothing feeling 'new' any more.

It's what the sight of others does to me. The envy.

Most destinations there would be groups of twenty somethings or young couples, spoiling it, because that same repetitive cycle of thoughts crops up.

I went for a short trip to Sydney a couple of years ago and it was like that, alone with my thoughts the entire time. I had to make conscious effort to suppress the sadness and depressive thought pattern, but why should it have to be that way? It should just be enjoyable, not a struggle.
I know that feeling. This is why I believe, whole heartedly, that empathogens and psychedelics should be a treatment for persistent despair/sadness/numbness/melancholy. The treatment wouldn't be for everyone; but, it could benefit a LOT of people, people who are compatible with that approach.

In my experience, that state of mind you speak to, is likened to a fog, always over your head, clouding your view (all the worse if it's smoke, from an anger fire, burning in your soul, clouding your view constantly). Your judgement, perception, and analysis of ALL situations, present, past, or future, becomes clouded, darkened, with low visibility. It's a state of mind, that's all. But, it's next to impossible to truly understand that, except perhaps with logic alone; but, even that, doesn't get you out of the fog, it only allows you to know you are in it. But for me, that knowing, is the best thing, when nothing else is available.

That's why I think mind altering substances (and not the crap the psychiatrist has to offer, though it may help 'sometimes,'), can be a great boon, to people in these circumstances. It's like a portal to a new dimension for a mind trapped in a universe of fog, for so long, it may not even remember that is trapped, much less that it got trapped...

States of mind are largely dependent on our circumstances. Those circumstances could be situational (work, life, history). They could be circumstantial (a particular course of events that unfolded a particular way). They could be geographical (where you are, when, and what you do on the regular in those conditions).

This is why people take vacations, or jump out of airplanes, or go jet skiing, or go hiking, or go camping in the woods, or take a meditation retreat, or go on a mission, etc.. etc.. You have to literally, 'take a trip,' to another place, that breaks you out of everything, into something new. Sometimes it's a bad trip, some times it's a good trip. You hope for a good trip, but the point is, to be able to rescue some sort of treasure, be it knowledge, be it a social exchange, be it a physical reminder, be it whatever, that permanently causes a positive shift in consciousness. A realization must be gleamed...

This is no easy thing to figure out how to do. And it may be impossible for one to figure it out on themselves, such that they may have to have faith, be patient, and rely on waiting for it to come to them, while they do whatever they can in the meantime to make the conditions of their mental soil, so to speak, fertile, for such seeds to grow...

Some times you need to be SHOCKED/SURPRISED out of it. And it's very hard, to surprise yourself, unfortunately, if not impossible. It's also hard to pull a fast one, on some one who is very heady/intellectual/brooding/and an over-thinker...

I for one, make a point to take a cold shower, now and then. It really just shocks you out of whatever your train of thought was, and all you can think for a few minutes is (COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD)... heh.

I for one, make a point to take a cold shower, now and then. It really just shocks you out of whatever your train of thought was, and all you can think for a few minutes is (COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD)... heh.
I take a cold shower every morning, Yogi's claim it has many health benefits, one of which is releasing ' happy hormones ' to alleviate mild depression. they call it ' Ishnaan ' if anyone fancy's a google.

Last edited:
I know that feeling. This is why I believe, whole heartedly, that empathogens and psychedelics should be a treatment for persistent despair/sadness/numbness/melancholy. The treatment wouldn't be for everyone; but, it could benefit a LOT of people, people who are compatible with that approach.

In my experience, that state of mind you speak to, is likened to a fog, always over your head, clouding your view (all the worse if it's smoke, from an anger fire, burning in your soul, clouding your view constantly). Your judgement, perception, and analysis of ALL situations, present, past, or future, becomes clouded, darkened, with low visibility. It's a state of mind, that's all. But, it's next to impossible to truly understand that, except perhaps with logic alone; but, even that, doesn't get you out of the fog, it only allows you to know you are in it. But for me, that knowing, is the best thing, when nothing else is available.

That's why I think mind altering substances (and not the crap the psychiatrist has to offer, though it may help 'sometimes,'), can be a great boon, to people in these circumstances. It's like a portal to a new dimension for a mind trapped in a universe of fog, for so long, it may not even remember that is trapped, much less that it got trapped...

States of mind are largely dependent on our circumstances. Those circumstances could be situational (work, life, history). They could be circumstantial (a particular course of events that unfolded a particular way). They could be geographical (where you are, when, and what you do on the regular in those conditions).

This is why people take vacations, or jump out of airplanes, or go jet skiing, or go hiking, or go camping in the woods, or take a meditation retreat, or go on a mission, etc.. etc.. You have to literally, 'take a trip,' to another place, that breaks you out of everything, into something new. Sometimes it's a bad trip, some times it's a good trip. You hope for a good trip, but the point is, to be able to rescue some sort of treasure, be it knowledge, be it a social exchange, be it a physical reminder, be it whatever, that permanently causes a positive shift in consciousness. A realization must be gleamed...

This is no easy thing to figure out how to do. And it may be impossible for one to figure it out on themselves, such that they may have to have faith, be patient, and rely on waiting for it to come to them, while they do whatever they can in the meantime to make the conditions of their mental soil, so to speak, fertile, for such seeds to grow...

Some times you need to be SHOCKED/SURPRISED out of it. And it's very hard, to surprise yourself, unfortunately, if not impossible. It's also hard to pull a fast one, on some one who is very heady/intellectual/brooding/and an over-thinker...

Funnily enough a work friend recommended Psilocybin (magic mushrooms) as a last resort to rewire the brain. Even offered to be there in case of a bad trip. I'm willing to give it a go, nothing much to lose at this point, but it's a Class A drug here so I'm not sure about asking him to supply it.

Funnily enough a work friend recommended Psilocybin (magic mushrooms) as a last resort to rewire the brain. Even offered to be there in case of a bad trip. I'm willing to give it a go, nothing much to lose at this point, but it's a Class A drug here so I'm not sure about asking him to supply it.

I don't know about rewiring the brain but mushrooms are amazing as long as you are in your safe place.

I don't know about rewiring the brain but mushrooms are amazing as long as you are in your safe place.
iu

Even better is to play Mario Brothers on shrooms
iu

I understand you, I also feel lonely when travel alone. But my experience tell me that it's better be alone in a journey than sitting at home alone. I won't lie and tell that you won't want to be young or to share it with someone but I think when you see a lot of different interesting things you have less time for thinking about all this. Like you have nothing really to loose if you go solo travel(untill it's safe of course). Maybe give it a try?

And are you sure that people in hostels are all 15 years younger? When I went to a climbing gym, I thought I would be the only one old, but there are a lot of those those who are let's say "very adult".

And also, there are young people, living the lives you never had, and they surely don't want a middle-aged man tagging along.

Which means doing everything alone, in unfamiliar surroundings, surrounded by groups of young adults or older couples with kids in tow.

It wouldn't be comfortable at a hostel where everyone else is at least 15 years younger than me. Or travelling to huge metropolitan cities with people enjoying the nightlife.

Also there's places I wouldn't travel, like SE Asia for example, due to stereotypes about older men and sex tourism.

That leaves getting out of civilization altogether on a tramping or climbing excursion, while I'm still physically capable.

Since you mentioned being envious of watching young couples on vacation, are you looking for a special someone to be with and is that part of your loneliness? If so, have you ever thought about a single cruise? I would guess there are other vacations that are tailored to older singles.

Hi! My wife convinced me to go on vacation to Spain this year, and I decided I would not take anything from fishing gear with me.

Hi! My wife convinced me to go on vacation to Spain this year, and I decided I would not take anything from fishing gear with me.
It's just that when we were vacationing on the coast, I rented some gear, and it was also quite good. And I highly recommend Spain for fishing and relaxing with the whole family. If you are interested, there are also such offers as a free tour Malaga and some other cities. For connoisseurs of history, a very pleasant offer.

Mate why don't you forget about your age? When I was 27/8 I was in a band with a guy a couple years older than me and another guy who was around 48. The other guy being about 20 years older never bothered me, we go on and wanted to make music. That was all that mattered.

Regarding the stereotypes about older men in SE Asia are you really going to let judgemental people stop you from doing what you want? You'd be going there to look for a partner who is suitable for you, you don't have sinister or malicious intentions so screw anyone who judges you for it.

Just do what you want to, seriously don't let being over 40 stop you.

Latest posts

Back