Starting my life from scratch and making new friends without social media

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stug

Reaction score
A few months ago, just before I quit my last job, I decided to start my life from scratch. Since then, I have quit my job and found a new one. I now want to meet new people and make friends, get back in shape and find love.

I don't have any friends anymore. The people at my new job are very serious and they don't do activities and see each others outside of work so it's not there I will find new friends.

I am an introvert but I am not shy at all. I don't have a smartphone, I am not on social media and I don't have a TV. I prefer to spend my time outside screens. I love model railroading, scale modeling, miniature wargaming, paddleboarding, hiking, biking and snorkeling.

I find it hard to find and meet people practicing those hobbies without the use of social media. I am wondering if I should go back again on Facebook. There are plenty of groups on Facebook about those subjects but if I go, I wont have anyone to send friend requests to and people friending me will find it awkward to see I have no one on my profile.

I also don't want to meet old acquaintances because 90% of them were from my last job that I quit a few months ago. And this job was a toxic environment.

What should I do? Should I go back on Facebook even if I have an empty profile with no friends? Where should I go to meet new people without social media?

Thanks for your help!

Perhaps you have groups called "Meet Ups," They are widespread in Florida and New Jersey. I have no idea about Canada. You can look for groups with like-minded people.

Perhaps you have groups called "Meet Ups," They are widespread in Florida and New Jersey. I have no idea about Canada. You can look for groups with like-minded people.
Yea, meetup's site is defo worth a go there's bound to be people in your area with similar interests.

Facebook has many special interest groups available. Look for model railroading and scale modeling groups.
Don't be too worried about an empty profile and no FB friends.
Go hiking and be confident within yourself that you're an interesting and worthy guy......there are other hikers out there who will pick up on the ambience that you display........be responsive to their responsiveness and see what happens.

Facebook has many special interest groups available. Look for model railroading and scale modeling groups.
Don't be too worried about an empty profile and no FB friends.
Go hiking and be confident within yourself that you're an interesting and worthy guy......there are other hikers out there who will pick up on the ambience that you display........be responsive to their responsiveness and see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

Finally, I have created a new Facebook account. I have also subscribed to a few groups (model railroading, scale modeling, miniature wargaming, paddleboard and hiking. We will see what happens.

I wouldn't be too concerned with no friends. Just be honest if someone is concerned with that. You got rid of social media and just rejoined and don't want all the people who were previously on it.
But yeah, meetup would be helpful if they have any around you and FB could be a great way to find the people you are looking for via groups. But don't be afraid to expand your interests and try something new too. I mean, if you're starting over, why not add a few things you haven't previously tried before. Also, maybe look into volunteering. It's a great way to meet people who aren't necessarily as uptight as others might be since they want to give back to people. Not all of them, but a lot of them are like that.

Model railroading is a fantastic hobby, my dad loves collecting specific train model types, so I know from him that there are usually quite a few conventions, at least within the states, that are held throughout the year where people can go to trade or buy model trains, or just to talk about their layout. That might be something to consider, a place to socialize with new people that share common ground.

Model railroading is a fantastic hobby, my dad loves collecting specific train model types, so I know from him that there are usually quite a few conventions, at least within the states, that are held throughout the year where people can go to trade or buy model trains, or just to talk about their layout. That might be something to consider, a place to socialize with new people that share common ground.
I second this. My brother is president of his local model railroading club in Alberta, There’s always lots of conventions and meetings going on, both near and far. I’m sure there’s many groups near you in Quebec and in neighbouring areas.

I wouldn't be too concerned with no friends. Just be honest if someone is concerned with that. You got rid of social media and just rejoined and don't want all the people who were previously on it.
But yeah, meetup would be helpful if they have any around you and FB could be a great way to find the people you are looking for via groups. But don't be afraid to expand your interests and try something new too. I mean, if you're starting over, why not add a few things you haven't previously tried before. Also, maybe look into volunteering. It's a great way to meet people who aren't necessarily as uptight as others might be since they want to give back to people. Not all of them, but a lot of them are like that.

Thanks. I have joined Meetup, installed the app and filled my profile and nothing happens. I don't know if it's because of my old iPad but I didn't have the choice to close my account between I don't have a computer, just a nine years old iPad.

I will follow your suggestion and try something new. I have already tried a few new activities in the last year but I will try again.

Thanks again.
Yes it's one of my goals to meet other model railroaders, miniature wargamers and scale modelers.

I second this. My brother is president of his local model railroading club in Alberta, There’s always lots of conventions and meetings going on, both near and far. I’m sure there’s many groups near you in Quebec and in neighbouring areas.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to join a model railroad club in Québec to have more information avout those meetings.

Also, you can hide your friends list on FB so no one would even be able to tell how many friends you have. Just do that. No one's business anyway.
It will be just a little weird when the people I add see there is nothing going on on my profile. No posts, nothing.

It will be just a little weird when the people I add see there is nothing going on on my profile. No posts, nothing.
That would be their expectations. There could be many reasons for a content-light profile, but try to create some content so ppl can spark about who you are. Be proud of what you've conquered, and humble in seeking others' attention. If they don't like you for you, fine...just snorkel with someone worth snorkeling with. =)

I have a few friends with barely any posts on thier FB page. They signed up mainly for contact connections to use messenger.

I myself use FB mostly for interest groups. Love 😍 my FB crochet 🧶🧵group that shares ton of inspiration and provides good advice on projects.

I have been off of Facebook,but I have been thinking about making a new profile on there,it is always good to have so you can stay in touch with your family,so I would suggest you go on Facebook,no one has to know that you don't have a lot of friends on there,and if they do who cares.

Hi everyone. I’m back.

Finally, my summer vacation are not as good as I would have thought. About one month ago, I sent an email to an ex female friend with which I was in love at the time. We had not seen each others for four years.

She is not single anymore but in the last three years, we have been hiking twice and I did have fun. Those two days were my best vacation days so far.

I also went to do some paddleboarding with people from a Facebook group and I also had fun but, for a reason I don’t know anything about, Facebook deleted my profile. I tried to create another account, deleted again by Facebook so I am done with this site.

As for Meetup, there is no events in my area and for the few events that are in my area, they are all in english. I write in english way better than I speak because my first language is french.

I forgot to mention that three weeks ago, I received an email from the director of the school where I was working. She told me by email that she felt the job was not for me and that I am fired. So I now need to find a new ******* job :(

So nothing is working as planned for me this summer. I didn’t met anyone new from my area and without the possibility to participate in Facebook outdoors events, it will be harder.

Hi everyone. I’m back.

Finally, my summer vacation are not as good as I would have thought. About one month ago, I sent an email to an ex female friend with which I was in love at the time. We had not seen each others for four years.

She is not single anymore but in the last three years, we have been hiking twice and I did have fun. Those two days were my best vacation days so far.

I also went to do some paddleboarding with people from a Facebook group and I also had fun but, for a reason I don’t know anything about, Facebook deleted my profile. I tried to create another account, deleted again by Facebook so I am done with this site.

As for Meetup, there is no events in my area and for the few events that are in my area, they are all in english. I write in english way better than I speak because my first language is french.

I forgot to mention that three weeks ago, I received an email from the director of the school where I was working. She told me by email that she felt the job was not for me and that I am fired. So I now need to find a new ******* job :(

So nothing is working as planned for me this summer. I didn’t met anyone new from my area and without the possibility to participate in Facebook outdoors events, it will be harder.
😐😔I'm so sorry to hear this

Latest posts

Back