Suggestion for Health and Fitness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey just put on your favorite songs that make you move and just dance/move around your house to the beat for 20-30 minutes.

It keeps me in good shape. 20-30 min. a day on my glider or dancing or weights. I am in great shape.

Rosie007 said:
If it's raining, walking up and down the stairs makes for good cardio exercise.

Yeah great idea with current lockdown in Blighty ,have incorporated into my exercise regime at home because no gym
Walk the dog....a long way now and he's happy and another good way to escape the house and clear the mind.
Cinnamon and ginger in tea.Garlic ,keeps flu and colds away.
Just doing stuff in the garden.
Plenty of off road bike riding....but only half hour cause all that's allowed as per government ;)

Stay away from simple sugars. Consider them the poison that they are. The idea is to make your body work like hell to process your food intake. That means lots of fiber, meat, protein, complex carbs, etc. Do not drink your calories. Only drink plain water.

I've always had a difficult time gaining weight. HOWEVER, I found the easiest way to do it is just to drink this stuff:

810115179-1.jpg

I'm always amazed when I go to the Food City grocery stores and find an entire isle from the bottom shelf to the top shelf full of this poison. I watch obese kids putting several gallons into their grocery carts with their moms not flinching. Then they pick up a gallon or two of ice cream. Yeah, stay away from that poison as well. Gee, why do so many people have blood sugar problems?????

Don't know where I'd be w/o a gym.  It doesn't completely solve the "L" problem, but it certainly does help.  Wish I could get there nights, specifically Friday & Saturdays, because that is when I'm at my worst.  Although, the woman I'm lonely for works there; so I'm not sure.

^ Just start talking to her. Tell her you like her. Then she'll avoid you like the plague. That's what usually happens to me. Then you won't have to be concerned about her being there. She'll just be another meaningless person to you.

hey i have a bit of trace of six packs abs on me, what exercise should i do to make it more visible?

I've been running a 5K (a little over 3 miles) every other day at an up-tempo pace, trying to go faster each time than the time before. I also walk on the in-between days, and sometimes on the run days as well. I've done this routine since about late 2019 now, and I've gotten better at consistency with each passing month, for the most part.

Also, since this year, I've been incorporating:

- pushups (to max),

- situps (to max, alternating between rollups and crunches each day),

and ab exercises (on a cycle of medium, hard, easy, hard, medium, once per workout - then restart the cycle with medium the next time):

- planks - center, right, center, left, center - (medium 30 seconds/position, hard 40 seconds/position, easy 20 seconds/position),

- whichever situp I DIDN'T do earlier (30 medium, 40 hard, 20 easy),

- scoops - lay on the ground, hold legs above the ground horizontally for about 5 seconds, "scoop" legs up and back down into plank position (15 medium, 20 hard, 10 easy),

- obliques - lay on the ground, touch elbow to opposite knee, and kick out with other leg at the same time - each set of both legs counts as one rep (30 medium, 40 hard, 20 medium).

When I started, I was at 39.5 inches for my waist, and about 196 pounds.

So far, I've lost almost 9 minutes off my 5K time (from 33 minutes or so at the slowest, to 24:13 at the fastest), and 4 inches off my waist (39.5 inches at the start, to about 35.5 inches today).

I don't know what I weigh, as I don't own a working scale. But I'm pretty sure I weigh less. My shirts fit better, I look better in the mirror, my stomach sticks out less and I even see a little bit of definition in my ab muscles. And when I met up with my friend last week, I actually fit comfortably into an old pair of shorts from high school, that I'd had trouble fitting into at all when I tried them on last.

Also I've been trying to drink water regularly every day, and trying to be more conscious of overeating, trying to just eat what I need to be full instead of stuffed. And as of now, I've only drank alcohol once this past year and a half, and when I met up with my friend, not alone. Also, it almost goes without saying but I've been totally smoke-free.

I used to run cross country and track in high school, and I wish I'd never let myself get out of shape and out of the habit of exercise. However, I'm open to other ideas, and I'd like to switch more to lifting when I have the money for a gym membership and a more protein-based diet, and when COVID is more under control, because I'd really like to have a more muscular body, both for my physical health and mental health/self-image/self-esteem/confidence. I've always wished I could have more power, and I feel if I was more muscular I could be more assertive with people. And looking better wouldn't hurt, either ;) But as of lately, this has been working for me.

^ That's fantastic progress! Good job! Maybe you can buy some cheap used weights. For a long time I used a 25lb weight in each hand while I exercised. They work good for doing curls and shoulder presses in between jumping jacks and lunges. You can use them as straight arm curls from the side and front too. Lift them very slowly and controlled to get the full impact. Save the gym membership money for something else.

TheSkaFish said:
I've been running a 5K (a little over 3 miles) every other day at an up-tempo pace, trying to go faster each time than the time before.  I also walk on the in-between days, and sometimes on the run days as well.  I've done this routine since about late 2019 now, and I've gotten better at consistency with each passing month, for the most part. 

Also, since this year, I've been incorporating:

- pushups (to max),

- situps (to max, alternating between rollups and crunches each day),

and ab exercises (on a cycle of medium, hard, easy, hard, medium, once per workout - then restart the cycle with medium the next time):

- planks - center, right, center, left, center - (medium 30 seconds/position, hard 40 seconds/position, easy 20 seconds/position),

- whichever situp I DIDN'T do earlier (30 medium, 40 hard, 20 easy),

- scoops - lay on the ground, hold legs above the ground horizontally for about 5 seconds, "scoop" legs up and back down into plank position (15 medium, 20 hard, 10 easy),

- obliques - lay on the ground, touch elbow to opposite knee, and kick out with other leg at the same time - each set of both legs counts as one rep (30 medium, 40 hard, 20 medium).

When I started, I was at 39.5 inches for my waist, and about 196 pounds.

So far, I've lost almost 9 minutes off my 5K time (from 33 minutes or so at the slowest, to 24:13 at the fastest), and 4 inches off my waist (39.5 inches at the start, to about 35.5 inches today).

I don't know what I weigh, as I don't own a working scale.  But I'm pretty sure I weigh less.  My shirts fit better, I look better in the mirror, my stomach sticks out less and I even see a little bit of definition in my ab muscles.  And when I met up with my friend last week, I actually fit comfortably into an old pair of shorts from high school, that I'd had trouble fitting into at all when I tried them on last.

Also I've been trying to drink water regularly every day, and trying to be more conscious of overeating, trying to just eat what I need to be full instead of stuffed.  And as of now, I've only drank alcohol once this past year and a half, and when I met up with my friend, not alone.  Also, it almost goes without saying but I've been totally smoke-free.

I used to run cross country and track in high school, and I wish I'd never let myself get out of shape and out of the habit of exercise.  However, I'm open to other ideas, and I'd like to switch more to lifting when I have the money for a gym membership and a more protein-based diet, and when COVID is more under control, because I'd really like to have a more muscular body, both for my physical health and mental health/self-image/self-esteem/confidence.  I've always wished I could have more power, and I feel if I was more muscular I could be more assertive with people.  And looking better wouldn't hurt, either ;)  But as of lately, this has been working for me.

Thats amazing

About a year and a half ago I cleared out my spare bedroom and decided to use it as a weight room.  I worked out off and on throughout my younger years but I'd gone through a really, really long "off" period.  At some point looking in the mirror and realizing the man staring back at me was starting to resemble my grandfather, I decided I'd better get back to it... in a big hurry.

A lot of the equipment I'm using is crap that I dug out of the garage as well as a few cheap things I found online and in town.  I couldn't afford to do too much, but I managed to assemble a bench, a squat rack, several hundred pounds of plates and a decent set of those cheap iron hex dumbbells.

Anyway, fast forward to now and I'm feeling a lot better and the "grandpa in the mirror" thing doesn't bother me so much anymore.

Unfortunately due to the pandemic and related economic garbage, new workout equipment seems to have really jacked up in price the past year.  Still, I think if anyone wants to set up a home gym they can probably manage.  Used stuff is a pretty good option.  People are always selling used plates and other junk on Craigslist and similar places.  It doesn't need to be pretty, it just has to work.

They best thing to do is never stop. If you need to use less weight then do that. I look in the mirror and see nearly the same body I had in high school. But, I'm no longer as strong as I was.

Tried my first "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) run today - 90 seconds at recovery pace, then 90 seconds at hard pace, for half an hour. I don't know if I went hard enough on the "hard" intervals, but compared to my regular 5K, it sure felt like work.

I hope it means I sleep well tonight!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back