Talking At People

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188644

Reaction score
I feel like so many lonely people just talk at people. There’s no back and forth but there’s an expectation that other people should take an interest in you. Like fresia stop with the random facts about your day. There is nothing to say back to “I went to the grocery store today.”

I have a joke, but it's waaay too soon. Somebody will probably infer what I mean and get all kinds of pissed.

If you’re saying what I think yeah there is certainly a discomfort even laughing at something shocking let alone being the one saying it. A thing may be funny and not funny because it’s cruel but who wants to be in that hot water?

You have no clue how unabashedly dark I get. My sister and me, growing up how we did, joke about things no one sane should ever laugh about. Well, not so much sane as well adjusted

My father killed himself when I was 6 so that’s been a joke in my life for quite some time. I make stroke jokes with my mother who suffered pretty substantial brain damage from a stroke. Humor helps.

My father killed himself when I was 6 so that’s been a joke in my life for quite some time. I make stroke jokes with my mother who suffered pretty substantial brain damage from a stroke. Humor helps.
I agree with this. Humour does help in bad situations. My dad ( who I loved more than anything in this world) developed bi-polar illness when we were kids. My brother used to call him a fruitcake with raisins for eyes. That would be ******* cruel if it came from anyone else and you can bet I'd kick anyone's ass who dared to say such a thing about my dad to my face, but coming from my brother it was funny.

When my dad was lying in the old folks home, actively dying, my brothers and I sat around his bedside and told jokes - a lot of them off-colour and/or understandable only to us and our family. I don't think I've laughed (and cried) so much in my life. It made the situation just a little more bearable.

So yeah. . . Humor helps.

I feel like so many lonely people just talk at people. There’s no back and forth but there’s an expectation that other people should take an interest in you. Like fresia stop with the random facts about your day. There is nothing to say back to “I went to the grocery store today.”
I worked on my roof today. I ate lunch and it was good. Ha! Ha!

I think many people only talk at each other IRL too. While one person is talking the other person is thinking about what they are going to say next. They aren't listening to what is being said.

I worked on my roof today. I ate lunch and it was good. Ha! Ha!

I think many people only talk at each other IRL too. While one person is talking the other person is thinking about what they are going to say next. They aren't listening to what is being said.
True

Latest posts

Back