thanks but no thanks..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beingnobody

Reaction score
My niece, who lives one quarter mile away, is hosting Thanksgiving this year. Sent me a text. "You are welcome to come over for Thanksgiving." Like I'm someone she met in line at Walmart.

Not, "please come and share Thanksgiving dinner with us."

Big difference there.

We have not spoken in over 8 months.

Her home will be filled with anti-vax reality denying cultists.

I think I'll spend the day alone, as usual, depressed, lonely, probably intermittently sobbing.

Life as usual.

If you are so miserable being alone, why not just go?

I see nothing wrong with her wording. Chances are high that you don't reach out either. She extended an olive branch to you so you knew you were welcome on a day that is for giving thanks, but this post is essentially shitting on that. Sorry, but that's on you. Maybe instead of focusing on your differences, you could at least attempt to find some common ground.

Is it possible that she stated it that way because she felt that you may not be interested and didn't want it to feel like she was pushing you to do something that you weren't interested in?

If you are so miserable being alone, why not just go?

I see nothing wrong with her wording. Chances are high that you don't reach out either. She extended an olive branch to you so you knew you were welcome on a day that is for giving thanks, but this post is essentially shitting on that. Sorry, but that's on you. Maybe instead of focusing on your differences, you could at least attempt to find some common ground.
"Why not just go?"

Because I value my life and don't want to be in an enclosed area with 10 unvaccinated people who don't care about anyone but themselves. We have a history, me and this child.

Is it possible that she stated it that way because she felt that you may not be interested and didn't want it to feel like she was pushing you to do something that you weren't interested in?
No, because prepandemic I used to spend a lot of time at her home

"Why not just go?"

Because I value my life and don't want to be in an enclosed area with 10 unvaccinated people who don't care about anyone but themselves. We have a history, me and this child.

So I assume you are vaccinated? So what's the problem....isn't the vaccine the be all end all? I mean, you don't have to wear a mask anymore and you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want now that you have that vaccine, so you're safe, right? (You don't have to answer this part, it's rhetorical sarcasm)

But back to being serious. Every family has history. A lot of messed up honeysuckle has gone on in my family, but I still go to family events and family meals and share the holidays with them. It's BECAUSE of the history that you have to hold on to family. Now I'm not one of those people who believe that blood relatives are the only family you can have, but it seems to be all you have. So why throw that away....for your pride, your ego, your superiority? I just don't understand.

If you're genuinely concerned about COVID, I'm sure you could take some extra precautions. Do you live in a warmer climate? Perhaps the meal could have been outside. I don't know, something probably could have been arranged if you had let go of your stubbornness.

You should just go.
I have a couple of kids and lots of family who refuse to get the vaccine. I suck it up and hang out because life is too short as is to let this matter ruin our chances to be together. Cancer just took a dear family member, and I’ll be damned if I waste any more time when it comes to those that I care about. -I get it though- people can be insensitive and awful. They at times do not even seem like they care in the least. Still, we must LEAD by example, and show them how to really Love.
Go and enjoy Thanksgiving. Just do your best. It might be great!
worse case it isn’t and at least you TRIED. 💌

No, because prepandemic I used to spend a lot of time at her home

Yes but you said that it had been eight months since you have spoken and you have mentioned your reluctance to be there due to their anti-vax stance. It would seem like she would have good reason to believe that you wouldn't be interested in being there at this time. Again, maybe she just didn't want to push you into something that you would find uncomfortable. Of course you know her best, so I could be way off base.

Latest posts

Back