The Basic Needs (from Maslow)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedokes

Reaction score
1. Physiological (Food, water, warmth, etc)
2. Safety (To feel free from constant danger)
3. Love and Belongingness
4. Self Esteem (Feeling proud about what you do and who you are)
5. Self-Actualization (Developing your potential)

These are all actual needs in our lives. It wasn't until I seen this and learned about our basic needs in life that I realized my own feelings were a bit distorted.

I always thought we should be happy as we are and if we aren't happy living a life by ourselves, then we must be "dependant" or something (as if it was a bad thing to do). I didn't like the idea of depending on others because it can set you up to be disappointed sometimes. However, after I realized it's an essential need, the more it makes sense to me and is comforting to know it's not a bad thing to need others in your life. I hope that maybe this would be useful to others, and also here is a link that explains socialization and happiness:

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/topic/connecting/connection-happiness

"One of the clearest findings to emerge from research into happiness is that we are social. All of us need other people in order to be well and thrive. We feel better just being around other people. And we need close relationships in order to be happy."

Latest posts

Back