The Camping Trailer Project

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I enjoy camping, moreso when I go with a friend or two, which is all I really have anyway. My friend Tony and I have talked about getting a little trailer and modifying it to our needs. Usually we borrow a trailer from another guy we know, which is nice of him, but we hate being so reliant on another and last time we had a wheel bearing break and we had to repair it on the fly, which we managed to do. Anyway, Tony and I got to talking about getting our own again and we found a neat little one advertised for a good price. The guy even threw in an awning for us, which was missing a pole, but I've already sourced one to fix that issue. So, the project is a bonding exercise as much as anything else. Something to keep us busy and will be of practical use. After picking the trailer up yesterday, I gave it a wipe down and practiced setting up the awning solo. which was easy enough. I'll attempt to post updates of what we do. First thing we need to do is find a spare tyre and fix the temperamental lighting cable.

Camp Trailer - 0004.jpgCamp Trailer - 0007.jpgCamp Trailer - 0012.jpg

Bureaucracy at work. Due to this being 20cm too long and that we might tow it interstate, we have to get it registered, which means making an appointment with the authority ($19 for that), buying a number plate ($19) and paying a year's registration ($62). And we have to add some reflectors and a number plate light. Fee for an appointment, really? I'm sure that's subsidising the employee's salary.

Some years ago I rode a Yamaha XVS1100 custom paid $500 for a vanity plate (which they only give you one for a bike, even though for the same price car owners got two!), but I sold that without the plate and a year later bought a Triumph 865 Speedmaster. I asked if they could transfer my vanity plate onto the new bike, which they said was fine, but they wanted me to pay $180 for the privilege! Are you kidding me!! I already paid for the ownership transfer and the new registration, and they wanted to scam me out of another $180. For what? How do they even justify that? Bloody ripoff ********.

Last edited:
Hahah, I'm loving this bloody trailer more and more every day, I want to start camping now so I can have one 😁
Get on it dude. Just so you know, there are some amazing camper trailers out there, but at this stage, we're keeping ours fairly simple. The more complex, the more can go wrong and the more it takes away (IMHO) to the real camping experience. Here's an example of a pretty cool complex trailer.

Last edited:
After sanding and varnishing our selected bench top, we carefully thought out how we should attach the sliding rails, and were happy with the result. Next we will hinge a second length of board and attach it all to the carpeted platform I pictured above.

Camp Trailer - 0036.jpeg

The first test away went fine, but we're already thinking of modifying the way the slide out bench works. We have ideas for some drawers and lid access to under the boxed in platform. It towed really well. We did check the weight on a weighbridge and we were fine with the gross weight.

Photo 019.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back