The curious case of me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallmeM

Reaction score
[font=roboto,]Hello all,[/font]
[font=roboto,]First of all, thank you for taking the time and read what I will write. It will be a long read, but I need to do this. I don't know exactly what I am doing, but I want to write this to take it off my chest in a place where no one is judging me or pointing fingers[/font]

[font=roboto,]I am unhappy.[/font]
[font=roboto,]A little intro about myself: 38, in a long relationship with a great woman, no kids, want, but we are not ready to bring them into this world with what is happening now. We've been together 6 years now, she is someone that is really, really amazing. If there were more people like her, this world would have been different. I come from a tight home, my parents are still together, in love, good financial background, was raised to know what is good and what is wrong and most of all, to be fair. I work for over 10 years now in advertising. It wasn't my first choice, but I enjoy what I do, I am lucky to be at fantastic workplace, great pay, amazing boss, independence to do things right, so all of that is good.[/font]
[font=roboto,]Since my early days, I felt I didn't belong here. In this ... world.[/font]
[font=roboto,]I know it sounds a bit off, but I felt happy in books, in movies, and animations. As years went by, I felt this bittersweetness growing in me and this "attraction" towards lost streets, later spring and early autumn nights.[/font]

[font=roboto,]On the love department, I wanted what my parents had, I was trying to find the perfect woman since my early days, childish games, to be honest, but I wasn't very successful until high school ended and I started to change physically, but also mentally. I was starting to see that love is not quite a fairy tale story. In college, I had my first heartbreak. Met this woman in the weirdest way possible, I went to a movie and in the whole cinema, there were only 4 people. Me & my friend and this couple. I saw her, she was incredible, it was love at first sight (let's call her M). Went later on a media sharing site and don't know how started talking with a user (mind that this was before the social media craziness and all of that). We ended up talking on yahoo messenger and swapped pics and it was the girl from the cinema. Yeah. You read it right. I was certain it was a sign from above. Spent the next year as friends and when she finally broke her relation with the guy from the cinema, I made a move. [/font]
[font=roboto,]Had a date, and when I was waiting for her to come for the second one, she didn't show. She told me she was with this colleague of hers and she confessed to me that now they are together. I broke any contact with her and later on I wanted to have a relationship with a woman that will be more than a few months, so I got together with this chick. We spent 3 years together. I did not love her at all, but I was afraid to leave. Funny enough, she decided to end it all.[/font]
[font=roboto,]After that I started seeing other women a lot, but nothing serious. Except, one night I got a text from the M. Wrote her back and chatted a bit. Found out she is living in another country now, 3 hours from me, left home that year also and moved from city to city. We texted a bit in the following months. Then came one night. As I was in a club with some friends, I received a photo from her on my phone. When I opened it, it was a picture with a coffee mug from the airport in her town. After the pic she wrote me a long text saying that tomorrow she will marry this guy, that she knows she did the biggest mistake ever and If I say the word, she will buy the first ticket towards me and leave him. I rejected her and we stopped speaking.[/font]
[font=roboto,]A year goes by and my life is pretty much the same: work, dating, and loneliness. My love for the night is becoming bigger and bigger and I drift really apart from all around me. I start writing and something nice comes out of it, something I will later publish. My perception of what is around me is quite different now, I just want to get out of here, man, to a lost planet, or in a place where there is darkness and my music.[/font]
[font=roboto,]But life had other plans, as I text M. We spoke a bit, she indeed got married. Our discussions became a bit more intimate, but not sexually, just intimate, as they were. I still loved her with all my heart. So she came here for one weekend. We got together and was something I've never felt again. Love, hugs, sex, everything. And most of all, we made plans. She said they actually have a quite different type of marriage, there is no love, only benefits, as he helps her get the citizenship. We make plans to start a long distance relationship and then be together. 2 years was our goal.[/font]
[font=roboto,]We manage to stay for just 2 months. After being the lover, the other man, I start to sense a change in her attitude, she ignores my text, our skype dates, etc, so I decide to confront her, but when she avoids it, I decided to end it all. As this was just near the end of the year, one night before NYE I get a loooong mail from her saying a bunch of nonsense that we will be together, we will make this happen, that I am the one she wants and I don't understand how hard is it for her to do this. I reply her with another long mail in 3 weeks. It wasn't a friendly mail, as I had my heart in pieces.[/font]
[font=roboto,]At the same time, I was trying really hard to cope. I found my refugee in long nights with women I didn't care about, clubs and work. I didn't do drugs or alcohol at all. The bittersweetness in me grew even bigger. I didn't want her anymore, but I was missing her like hell. Time for A to make her entrance.[/font]
[font=roboto,]At the start of the summer, I've gone on Tinder. These were the early days, not many people had it. And I chat with this woman. Her name was A. I enjoyed it a lot talking nonsense, but I was avoiding asking her out because there was a catch: this was her last summer her. She will leave to start her Ph.D. in another country. We talked, talked, talked and we found out we were living in the same hood. So one night, one warm summer night, she said "let's meet". I accepted. I don't know why, but I wanted to meet her. Since that night we spend the next 3 months of summer every single day together. Every single one. As things move quickly to her departure, we spoke about us and what is next. She didn't have any reason to stay here anymore, except me, a guy she met 3 years ago. She was alone, her parents, sadly, died. But our intimacy grew bigger and bigger and I took her to my ... secret places. Places where I loved to went during the nights, or lost streets where I loved to walk. I was in love with her as I couldn't ever I've imagined being. But I knew this won't work. I don't want to live, she doesn't want to stay, and I did long term with M and it was horrible. So as much as It hurt, I was starting to imply that we need to end this when she lives. I will be forever there for her, but we need this to be over. The last night together here was a crying marathon from both of us, I couldn't see my eyes as how unfair all of this would be. She refused to let me go, so we decided to try long term.[/font]
[font=roboto,]The day she left, I went home and bought tickets to spent Christmas together in her new country. Our love affair lasted 2 weeks after she left. I started to notice changes in the way she talked, the way she wrote. It looked more and more that I was trying to make this work rather than her. I understood that she was alone in a new culture, she needed to settle in, but when male friends appeared in the scenarios, I became very suspicious. As things started to boil from my part, I confronted her and she said something that broke me. I don't know how to describe it, as I never felt a pain like that ever and I don't know if I will hear something worse. She said: I think I might said "I love you" too fast to you (she said it first, I don't say that). It felt like one billion knives that entered in me at the same time. Something cracked inside. I made a step back, and she noticed, she became again close, wanted me. I wanted her also, but things weren't the same.[/font]

[font=roboto,]As I went to spend the holidays together with her, our first sex in 4 months was really off, but we argued a bit over nonsense. We had our moments, no doubt, but things were not good at all and in my last night, I caught her flirting with a guy on an app on my phone, a quiz app. As I asked her about it, she didn't see nothing bad about it. What followed was the worst sex of my life. When I left the next day, I knew it was over. We lasted 2 weeks from that day, I broke up with her after she didn't say a word for 24 hours after missing our skype date, saying she had to work a double shift. I said I wanted out, she didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either. So I asked her if she wants me, she has to contact me. She didn't for a month, she called, we spoke a bit, nothing clear, she said the famous: you were to kind to me, but didn't do anything. We then didn't speak for 3 months or so, until I saw pics with her in town, she came to visit and posted a lot with her friends. Got annoyed and when she wrote to me in her last night to have a drink, I refused. I understood then that I wasn't that important on her list. I've never seen her from that point on in real life, we still follow each other on social media, a like or so from time to time, but sadly, we don't say even happy b-days to each other. She is different now, I think she is with a rich dude or something.[/font]
[font=roboto,]After our relationship finished I went on a crazy mode. I was angry and all I wanted was to go out and have fun, I couldn't care anymore. I had a long 8 months, until I found, or better said, she found me, the woman I am now. I love her, but I don't love her how I loved A and M, but I can't love anyone like that ever again. Not after the "I love you too fast" words. I can't come back from that. That broke the last idea of innocent and pure love, as we see in movies.[/font]

[font=roboto,]I can't imagine my life without my partner, but I feel I don't belong here, in this world. [/font]
[font=roboto,]Last year I wanted to play something for a while now and found this game Finding Paradise. I cried for the first time in 6 years. I felt the connection and the pain of the story like a dagger. I can't describe it really, but if you are interested, google it, it is something great, I promise. I found it so awkward, but gave me an idea that there might be people like me, that feel this, but in a different way[/font]
[font=roboto,]I don't know, but each day I am more and more absent but present in my life. I know how it sounds, but as my body is here, my entire core is searching for a place far, far away. I don't miss any of my ex-gf, but I feel I don't need this something similar ever again.[/font]
[font=roboto,]I don't know what else to say but thank you that you took the time to read all of this. I hope someone else has something similar that can share.[/font]
[font=roboto,]Thank you,[/font]
[font=roboto,]
All the best,[/font]

[font=roboto,]M[/font]

Hmmm. That was a long read. It was more like the romantic history of you then anything else. Put a romantic cover on it and maybe you can sell it on Amazon. You touched very little on your actually feelings of not belonging in this world / universe. There are many threads with users talking about not belonging in this world / universe for lots of reasons. Just go looking for them.

[img=300x486]https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/holiday_ittakestwo_mm.jpg?w=768[/img][/CENTER]

There are quite a few users on this site that have never had a relationship or even sex. For others it is very difficult to attract anybody due to physical issues. Some have mental issues that make it near impossible to play the initial interaction game. They / we can tell you about the feeling on not belonging in this world.

BTW, your experience sounds fairly common for normal people. IMO, we are all given a certain amount of love-lust hormones. It intensifies our early experiences. As you age they get used up and disappear. Our feelings of love changes. It turns into longer term needs such as caring, dependability, understanding, trust, honest, sharing, and being there for the other person when needed. Those things aren't sexy or exciting but they are more important and necessary to stay together.

Some people, possible you, simply can't deal with loosing their early intensified feelings. So, they chase them for a long time possibly the rest of their lives. In return they sabotage their current relationships by thinking they aren't good enough. The earlier ones were "real love."

My advice is to be happy with what you have. I know that is a stupid simple statement. But, the grass is NOT greener on the other side. It's brown. Your past relationships need to stay in the past. Focus on doing extra nice things for your current partner instead of looking around elsewhere. You are cheating your current relationship. Later stage love requires work and effort it's not like the instant love of our youth. Now go tell you current partner how wonderful she is and how much your really love and appreciate her. Keep telling her stuff like that and you'll find that both of you will feel more in love.​

It sounds like you should stay alone for awhile and just be with your partner for you have lost the feeling of appreciating life with good judgement for there are other things out there other than a good time. And in regard to someone saying they maybe loved you too fast (not exact words here) and you get hurt by this when they are trying to be honest at this time because somehow it clicked to them you are maybe not the one. You should have took it from there and gave up the quest for them but you were not looking for the same thing that they were I guess....??? Your young yet and successful and I would just cool it and be "really with your partner" at this time in your life. Take it slow and learn how to eat better and do research on your favorite subjects just to get out of your dark space..Thanks for sharing the story and Best Wishes to you..

Thank you both,

@Finished
Yeah, as I read it back, I saw that I spoke more about my romantic side and not about my loneliness. I think they come together, as a package in my life.

When I was a kid, I used to dream a lot about other places that I missed, but that I did not know. For example, I missed the characters from a book from Murakami, After Dark, where the action happens during one night. I miss a song from an animation movie, because I feel I belong to that place. There is this place I keep on going in my mind, is my junior high school. I went there two years after I finished it, march, cold & windy. It was around 19, it was dark, but the sky was clearer than ever, I was alone and I was staying on the court and I was watching the moon in all of it's splendor, while the wind was hitting my face. I miss that moment soooo much, because I found peace then.
I feel I am losing touch with humans. With other humans.

@Priscella

When she said those words to me it changed a lot my perception of things and people. From that point on, I stopped loving her, I just found out later, not in the moment.
Those two big relationships played a part, in my "development", no doubt, but I had all of this feelings before I met them. I just shared parts of my feelings with them, I think.

CallmeM said:
[font=roboto,]Hello all,[/font]
[font=roboto,]First of all, thank you for taking the time and read what I will write. It will be a long read, but I need to do this. I don't know exactly what I am doing, but I want to write this to take it off my chest in a place where no one is judging me or pointing fingers[/font]

[font=roboto,]I am unhappy.[/font]
[font=roboto,]A little intro about myself: 38, in a long relationship with a great woman, no kids, want, but we are not ready to bring them into this world with what is happening now. We've been together 6 years now, she is someone that is really, really amazing. If there were more people like her, this world would have been different. I come from a tight home, my parents are still together, in love, good financial background, was raised to know what is good and what is wrong and most of all, to be fair. I work for over 10 years now in advertising. It wasn't my first choice, but I enjoy what I do, I am lucky to be at fantastic workplace, great pay, amazing boss, independence to do things right, so all of that is good.[/font]
[font=roboto,]Since my early days, I felt I didn't belong here. In this ... world.[/font]
[font=roboto,]I know it sounds a bit off, but I felt happy in books, in movies, and animations. As years went by, I felt this bittersweetness growing in me and this "attraction" towards lost streets, later spring and early autumn nights.[/font]

[font=roboto,]On the love department, I wanted what my parents had, I was trying to find the perfect woman since my early days, childish games, to be honest, but I wasn't very successful until high school ended and I started to change physically, but also mentally. I was starting to see that love is not quite a fairy tale story. In college, I had my first heartbreak. Met this woman in the weirdest way possible, I went to a movie and in the whole cinema, there were only 4 people. Me & my friend and this couple. I saw her, she was incredible, it was love at first sight (let's call her M). Went later on a media sharing site and don't know how started talking with a user (mind that this was before the social media craziness and all of that). We ended up talking on yahoo messenger and swapped pics and it was the girl from the cinema. Yeah. You read it right. I was certain it was a sign from above. Spent the next year as friends and when she finally broke her relation with the guy from the cinema, I made a move. [/font]
[font=roboto,]Had a date, and when I was waiting for her to come for the second one, she didn't show. She told me she was with this colleague of hers and she confessed to me that now they are together. I broke any contact with her and later on I wanted to have a relationship with a woman that will be more than a few months, so I got together with this chick. We spent 3 years together. I did not love her at all, but I was afraid to leave. Funny enough, she decided to end it all.[/font]
[font=roboto,]After that I started seeing other women a lot, but nothing serious. Except, one night I got a text from the M. Wrote her back and chatted a bit. Found out she is living in another country now, 3 hours from me, left home that year also and moved from city to city. We texted a bit in the following months. Then came one night. As I was in a club with some friends, I received a photo from her on my phone. When I opened it, it was a picture with a coffee mug from the airport in her town. After the pic she wrote me a long text saying that tomorrow she will marry this guy, that she knows she did the biggest mistake ever and If I say the word, she will buy the first ticket towards me and leave him. I rejected her and we stopped speaking.[/font]
[font=roboto,]A year goes by and my life is pretty much the same: work, dating, and loneliness. My love for the night is becoming bigger and bigger and I drift really apart from all around me. I start writing and something nice comes out of it, something I will later publish. My perception of what is around me is quite different now, I just want to get out of here, man, to a lost planet, or in a place where there is darkness and my music.[/font]
[font=roboto,]But life had other plans, as I text M. We spoke a bit, she indeed got married. Our discussions became a bit more intimate, but not sexually, just intimate, as they were. I still loved her with all my heart. So she came here for one weekend. We got together and was something I've never felt again. Love, hugs, sex, everything. And most of all, we made plans. She said they actually have a quite different type of marriage, there is no love, only benefits, as he helps her get the citizenship. We make plans to start a long distance relationship and then be together. 2 years was our goal.[/font]
[font=roboto,]We manage to stay for just 2 months. After being the lover, the other man, I start to sense a change in her attitude, she ignores my text, our skype dates, etc, so I decide to confront her, but when she avoids it, I decided to end it all. As this was just near the end of the year, one night before NYE I get a loooong mail from her saying a bunch of nonsense that we will be together, we will make this happen, that I am the one she wants and I don't understand how hard is it for her to do this. I reply her with another long mail in 3 weeks. It wasn't a friendly mail, as I had my heart in pieces.[/font]
[font=roboto,]At the same time, I was trying really hard to cope. I found my refugee in long nights with women I didn't care about, clubs and work. I didn't do drugs or alcohol at all. The bittersweetness in me grew even bigger. I didn't want her anymore, but I was missing her like hell. Time for A to make her entrance.[/font]
[font=roboto,]At the start of the summer, I've gone on Tinder. These were the early days, not many people had it. And I chat with this woman. Her name was A. I enjoyed it a lot talking nonsense, but I was avoiding asking her out because there was a catch: this was her last summer her. She will leave to start her Ph.D. in another country. We talked, talked, talked and we found out we were living in the same hood. So one night, one warm summer night, she said "let's meet". I accepted. I don't know why, but I wanted to meet her. Since that night we spend the next 3 months of summer every single day together. Every single one. As things move quickly to her departure, we spoke about us and what is next. She didn't have any reason to stay here anymore, except me, a guy she met 3 years ago. She was alone, her parents, sadly, died. But our intimacy grew bigger and bigger and I took her to my ... secret places. Places where I loved to went during the nights, or lost streets where I loved to walk. I was in love with her as I couldn't ever I've imagined being. But I knew this won't work. I don't want to live, she doesn't want to stay, and I did long term with M and it was horrible. So as much as It hurt, I was starting to imply that we need to end this when she lives. I will be forever there for her, but we need this to be over. The last night together here was a crying marathon from both of us, I couldn't see my eyes as how unfair all of this would be. She refused to let me go, so we decided to try long term.[/font]
[font=roboto,]The day she left, I went home and bought tickets to spent Christmas together in her new country. Our love affair lasted 2 weeks after she left. I started to notice changes in the way she talked, the way she wrote. It looked more and more that I was trying to make this work rather than her. I understood that she was alone in a new culture, she needed to settle in, but when male friends appeared in the scenarios, I became very suspicious. As things started to boil from my part, I confronted her and she said something that broke me. I don't know how to describe it, as I never felt a pain like that ever and I don't know if I will hear something worse. She said: I think I might said "I love you" too fast to you (she said it first, I don't say that). It felt like one billion knives that entered in me at the same time. Something cracked inside. I made a step back, and she noticed, she became again close, wanted me. I wanted her also, but things weren't the same.[/font]

[font=roboto,]As I went to spend the holidays together with her, our first sex in 4 months was really off, but we argued a bit over nonsense. We had our moments, no doubt, but things were not good at all and in my last night, I caught her flirting with a guy on an app on my phone, a quiz app. As I asked her about it, she didn't see nothing bad about it. What followed was the worst sex of my life. When I left the next day, I knew it was over. We lasted 2 weeks from that day, I broke up with her after she didn't say a word for 24 hours after missing our skype date, saying she had to work a double shift. I said I wanted out, she didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either. So I asked her if she wants me, she has to contact me. She didn't for a month, she called, we spoke a bit, nothing clear, she said the famous: you were to kind to me, but didn't do anything. We then didn't speak for 3 months or so, until I saw pics with her in town, she came to visit and posted a lot with her friends. Got annoyed and when she wrote to me in her last night to have a drink, I refused. I understood then that I wasn't that important on her list. I've never seen her from that point on in real life, we still follow each other on social media, a like or so from time to time, but sadly, we don't say even happy b-days to each other. She is different now, I think she is with a rich dude or something.[/font]
[font=roboto,]After our relationship finished I went on a crazy mode. I was angry and all I wanted was to go out and have fun, I couldn't care anymore. I had a long 8 months, until I found, or better said, she found me, the woman I am now. I love her, but I don't love her how I loved A and M, but I can't love anyone like that ever again. Not after the "I love you too fast" words. I can't come back from that. That broke the last idea of innocent and pure love, as we see in movies.[/font]

[font=roboto,]I can't imagine my life without my partner, but I feel I don't belong here, in this world. [/font]
[font=roboto,]Last year I wanted to play something for a while now and found this game Finding Paradise. I cried for the first time in 6 years. I felt the connection and the pain of the story like a dagger. I can't describe it really, but if you are interested, google it, it is something great, I promise. I found it so awkward, but gave me an idea that there might be people like me, that feel this, but in a different way[/font]
[font=roboto,]I don't know, but each day I am more and more absent but present in my life. I know how it sounds, but as my body is here, my entire core is searching for a place far, far away. I don't miss any of my ex-gf, but I feel I don't need this something similar ever again.[/font]
[font=roboto,]I don't know what else to say but thank you that you took the time to read all of this. I hope someone else has something similar that can share.[/font]
[font=roboto,]Thank you,[/font]
[font=roboto,]
All the best,[/font]

[font=roboto,]M[/font]

Quite a story. There's a partion here between two issues - and I'll do my best to break things down as I see them. First and foremost, you appear to place the responsibility of your happiness on your girlfriend.  That's not fair, but it's what you've been doing for your whole life.  That's a big reason why you aren't happy.  Being happy, and happiness from being in love are two very different things.  There are unpeeled layers of onion skins in your personal story that aren't being shared here. Something separate from relationships, you're using relationships as a self medication because you can't do it on your own.  Don't take this as an insult either, take it as an outside unbias insight on your story.

You settled for someone that you didn't have the same sparks or chemistry as the first two women that you really gave your heart to...yet now you're married. You realize you've got a good girl, that's a start... Keep trying there, and start working on yourself, without placing the burden of happiness on her.  I can come back to this and help you troubleshoot, but for now I want you to start thinking outside of the box you've been stuck in.

I agree with morrowrd mostly, but I don't think can't is the right word for him being happy. It's won't, which can include not knowing how. You have to figure out how.
It sounds like you never figured out who you are as an individual.
Also, it's okay to not love the same way, you never will. Each love is different and brings something new. The problem is that you are holding two women up on such a high pedestal that you can't focus on what you have now. You have to look at the now, not the past.

morrowrd said:
Quite a story. There's a partion here between two issues - and I'll do my best to break things down as I see them. First and foremost, you appear to place the responsibility of your happiness on your girlfriend.  That's not fair, but it's what you've been doing for your whole life.  That's a big reason why you aren't happy.  Being happy, and happiness from being in love are two very different things.  There are unpeeled layers of onion skins in your personal story that aren't being shared here. Something separate from relationships, you're using relationships as a self medication because you can't do it on your own.  Don't take this as an insult either, take it as an outside unbias insight on your story.

You settled for someone that you didn't have the same sparks or chemistry as the first two women that you really gave your heart to...yet now you're married. You realize you've got a good girl, that's a start... Keep trying there, and start working on yourself, without placing the burden of happiness on her.  I can come back to this and help you troubleshoot, but for now I want you to start thinking outside of the box you've been stuck in.

Thank you so much for your input, Morrowrd

There are actually no other things that I did not share, I just tried to short the story & keep the essence of it. I didn't want to keep anything from my post because I felt this is a place where you can speak your mind out. What good would have done to me if I kept things out of it?

I felt like this, the way I describe it above, before I met love, but yeah, love had it's place and did some things to me. Love came later, but even when I was 7 I felt I didn't belong here and invented all kinds of short stories, that I wrote down, all of them were about places and moments. I couldn't speak to anyone.
I couldn't tell them that I felt more connected to movies, music, books than people, or that the night has that effect on me.
Plus, I never hated or disliked myself. I always knew and tried to be happy with myself, of course, people helped, but at the end of the day, it was all about me and the things I did for me. But I never reached happiness.

Regarding my missus, I love her, I care about her, but in a different way as I did. I try my best non stop to make her happy, I am sorry if I let other things seemed like we were just going along for the ride. No, far from it, she is super happy, she is great, all is good. 
Only this is just on me, what I feel is totally different from what I show. There is no idea in my mind that I might cheat or hurt her, no way.
I just can't tell her what I feel. I can't tell her why I am unhappy, because she is not why I am like this. I was like this before I met her and any other women.

I can't understand why. Why I am like this. I feel more and more melancholic as days go by.

Latest posts

Back