Things that make you think

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I never built self-discipline because I never felt like I had a strong enough natural/initial skill base, or traits, at anything, to develop into anything. I thought you either are, or you aren't, because that's how people looked and felt to me. Perhaps I should watch sometime.

^I never built self-discipline because I never felt like I had a strong enough natural/initial skill base, or traits, at anything, to develop into anything. I thought you either are, or you aren't, because that's how people looked and felt to me. Perhaps I should watch sometime.
  • Miyamoto Musashi was renowned for his profound wisdom on the philosophy of life and was never defeated in over 60 duels. He was also an artist and a seeker of truth.
  • Musashi believed in self-discipline and focused solely on his craft of swordsmanship. His teachings emphasized the importance of daily training and repetition as the keys to achieving true mastery.
  • Core Principles:
    1. Embracing Simplicity: Musashi advocated for eliminating distractions and focusing on the task at hand by decluttering our physical and mental spaces.
    2. Finding Strength in Resilience: He emphasized embracing failure as opportunities for growth and discovering our purpose.
    3. The Power of Purpose: Aligning our actions with our values and passions is crucial to unleashing our true potential.
    4. Developing a Growth Mindset: Adopting a lifelong commitment to learning and improvement is important.
Thank you, Skafish, for your insightful suggestion. It has prompted me to consider providing concise written summaries for my videos. This way, individuals who are pressed for time or prefer reading can still benefit from the content. While creating these summaries will require additional effort and time, I am more than willing to undertake this task to ensure accessibility and convenience for all. I understand that not everyone prefers to consume information through videos, and I, too, share this preference. In the future, I will endeavor to accompany my videos with written content, allowing everyone to choose their preferred way of learning. I appreciate your thoughtful idea and am eager to implement it to enhance the experience for my audience.

By some coincidence, I've become interested in Musashi Miyamoto just the last few weeks. I've watched 3 or 4 YouTube videos on him. I used to live in Japan as well. But wasn't interested then.

By some coincidence, I've become interested in Musashi Miyamoto just the last few weeks. I've watched 3 or 4 YouTube videos on him. I used to live in Japan as well. But wasn't interested then.
That's quite a coincidence, isthatso, it's fascinating that you've recently developed an interest in Musashi Miyamoto. His life and legacy are indeed captivating. Since you've been exploring his story through YouTube videos and have lived in Japan, you might find these aspects of Musashi's life particularly intriguing:

1. Martial Mastery: Musashi's unparalleled skill in swordsmanship, especially his development of the Niten Ichi-ryu style, is awe-inspiring. He managed to defeat numerous opponents in duels, remaining undefeated throughout his life.
  2. The Book of Five Rings: Musashi's philosophical and strategic insights, as documented in "The Book of Five Rings," offer a unique perspective on the mindset and principles of a warrior. It's a valuable resource not only for martial artists but also for those interested in strategy and mindset development.
  3. Artistic Talents: Musashi's proficiency in various artistic disciplines, including calligraphy, painting, and sculpture, showcases his multifaceted abilities beyond the battlefield.
  4. Wanderer and Philosopher: His life as a wandering ronin and his spiritual journey in later years add depth to his character. His search for meaning and constant self-improvement make him more than just a swordsman but a philosopher-warrior.
  5. Historical Impact: Musashi's legacy extends beyond Japan, influencing martial arts worldwide. Many martial artists and enthusiasts continue to study his techniques and philosophy.

Thanks for your reply if there are any other things that make you think in new and exciting ways (as long as they are related and healthy to the thread) feel free to addon to the videos and the thread thank you so much for your reply.

The Book of Five Rings: Musashi's philosophical and strategic insights, as documented in "The Book of Five Rings," offer a unique perspective on the mindset and principles of a warrior. It's a valuable resource not only for martial artists but also for those interested in strategy and mindset development.
Tried to buy this book last week.

The video titled "9 Principles of Strategy from the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi" discusses various principles of strategy from the book "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. Here's a summary of the key points and principles discussed in the video:

9 Principles of Strategy:​

1. Not Thinking Dishonestly: Be truthful and genuine in your approach.
  2. The Way is in Training: Emphasizes the importance of continuous self-improvement, preparation, and training to achieve mastery in any field.
  3. Become Acquainted with Every Art: Be well-rounded and open to different styles and techniques, especially in martial arts, and be knowledgeable in various professions.
  4. Know the Ways of all Professions: Understand various professions and how their strategies can be applied in martial arts or warfare.
  5. Distinguish Between Gain and Loss: Understand and accept that setbacks and defeats are part of life. Be resilient and perceive events with a balanced perspective.
  6. Develop Intuitive Judgment and Understanding: Cultivate the ability to reason, think critically, and develop intuitive judgment.
  7. Perceive Those Things Which Cannot Be Seen: Understand the unseen and the void by paying attention to details and minute differences in situations.
  8. Pay Attention Even to Trifles: Do not take little things for granted as they can make a significant difference between victory and defeat.
  9. Do Nothing Which is of No Use: Focus on activities that yield benefits and work smarter to maximize productivity.

Additional Insights from the Video:​

• The video emphasizes the importance of being well-rounded and not limiting oneself to one style or ignoring the weaknesses of one's own style in martial arts.
  • It discusses the concept of resilience through a Taoist story about a Chinese farmer, illustrating that events must fully transpire before their true nature can be understood.
  • The video talks about the limitations of empirical knowledge and sensory experience, emphasizing the importance of perception and reasoning in understanding the true nature of things.
  • It highlights the significance of understanding what is true and false to better comprehend things that are not visible and things that exist within the void.
  • The video concludes by suggesting that understanding and applying the basic principles from Musashi's book is essential to achieve success, emphasizing the need to have a broad perspective and to train in the way of strategy.

The video "9 Principles of Strategy from the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi" explores the strategic principles from Miyamoto Musashi's book, emphasizing self-improvement, mastery, and strategic thinking in martial arts and life. The principles guide on honesty, continuous training, embracing various arts and professions, understanding gain and loss, developing intuition, perceiving the unseen, valuing minutiae, and avoiding useless actions. The video illustrates these principles with stories and analogies, highlighting the importance of a well-rounded, strategic approach to achieve success and mastery in any field, and underscores the relevance of these principles in various aspects of life and self-development. Might be worth a read in the future.

Latest posts

Back