Time wasted.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colster

Reaction score
Why is it, when I have nothing to do, I can comfortably sit around my house, often in utter silence, for hours at a time. Yet, when I have to stay indoors, such as this morning's appointment, I feel like a caged animal, desperate to be free.

Loathsome Gas Co. Today's appointment 8am - 1pm. Ok, they arrived at 11:30, and were gone by 11:35. But you try telling them over the phone, that there is no gas fire, cooker, etc.

Yet still, it is the waiting that annoys me most. I could have been doing absolutely nothing, quite happily too.

Trust me, had they invaded my world, they would have been traumatised for life. No, I am frustrated by these half day open appointments. Surely in a tech savvy era, we can do better than that. It required my daily routine to be altered, for little more than sitting and waiting. Particularly the dog, who didn't understand the lack of morning walk, as I'm day there, dressed and ready.
Anyhow, we both had a fine lunch, followed by a snooze. I still have the world, but we both seem happier about that now.

Sort of related story:

Personally I hate how the natural gas companies here use very thin plastic pipe rated for low pressure and then they pipe in high pressure natural gas. We also have lots of sharp rocks in the ground that poke holes in the pipe. The lines are supposed to be buried in sand. But, rarely were / are. There are leaks all over the place on a regular basis. So, I converted to total electric.

Well, the gas company said they wanted to come onto my property to get the meter and use it at another location. I told them to F off. Then they kept saying they needed to check my line for leaks. I kept telling them to F off. After about five years, they came onto my property anyway.

Turns out their line coming into my meter had been leaking for a long time. They evacuated the neighborhood and brought in several very large pumping trucks. Apparently the gas had filled all kinds of voids under my house, throughout my yard, and under the street. Then they permanently disconnected my service from the main line outside of my yard and removed their crappy plastic line.

That was a happy day for me. No more dealing with the gas company ever again.

I, too, have a daily routine, and mine is very ridged. I obsess with cleaning rituals, puppy ( they are 7-12years old), potty time, and my cat's walkabout. Etc. Rorschach, my cat, walks me rather than me walking her. If I don't do these routines daily, I wind up a vegetable on the couch. Habit is what keeps me sane.
Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Why is it, when I have nothing to do, I can comfortably sit around my house, often in utter silence, for hours at a time. Yet, when I have to stay indoors, such as this morning's appointment, I feel like a caged animal, desperate to be free.

Simple - it's all about the power of choice.

When you have nothing to do, and are choosing to stay home out of your own free will, you're fine with it because you know that when you are no longer fine with it, you can choose to do something else when you want to.

When you have to stay home, you no longer have the power of choice. You're being forced to stay home, the circumstance is being imposed on you, and you're probably bothered by feeling like you don't have power.

Stuff like that bothers me too, so I get it completely.

Sort of related story:

Personally I hate how the natural gas companies here use very thin plastic pipe rated for low pressure and then they pipe in high pressure natural gas. We also have lots of sharp rocks in the ground that poke holes in the pipe. The lines are supposed to be buried in sand. But, rarely were / are. There are leaks all over the place on a regular basis. So, I converted to total electric.

Well, the gas company said they wanted to come onto my property to get the meter and use it at another location. I told them to F off. Then they kept saying they needed to check my line for leaks. I kept telling them to F off. After about five years, they came onto my property anyway.

Turns out their line coming into my meter had been leaking for a long time. They evacuated the neighborhood and brought in several very large pumping trucks. Apparently the gas had filled all kinds of voids under my house, throughout my yard, and under the street. Then they permanently disconnected my service from the main line outside of my yard and removed their crappy plastic line.

That was a happy day for me. No more dealing with the gas company ever again.
All of my lines have been capped. There is no supply to the property. Hasn't been for approximately 4 years.

Latest posts

Back