To Be or Not To Be Weird

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
It puzzles me why people call me weird? My hobbies are face painting ( ok, my plastic heads are creepy), squirrel watching, balloon art, decorating 1950 lunch boxes, etc. All of my hobbies have clubs or forums, so I have ruled them out as not weird, yet the name still sticks. Even as a child, I was labeled weird. I should have asked this question before I became a housebound adult. Can anyone shed light on this? Has anyone else been called weird.? I wish I were rich than I suspect I would have gotten the title of eccentric, which sounds a hell of a lot better!

I've been called weird all my life. Apparently not wanting a career ( I thought I did but quickly realised I just wanted the pay checks ), a mortgage, trophy wife or 2.4 children makes you an oddball.

I'll stick to travel, music and women of a dubious nature thank you very much. :)

your hobbies are unique and interesting!
oh, if i had a dollar every time i was called weird...:ROFLMAO:

I realized this a little too late in life,
it's not that I'm weird it's just the people around me make it so
just because I'm not into the same things as them

many of things I like for example, gaming, dungeon and dragons plus other typically "nerdy" stuff is in fact pretty mainstream now
can't believe years back these got me labelled as a weirdo

Your hobbies sound awesome!

I'm not sure that I've been called weird much outside of school. I had someone recently ask me about the bumps on the side of my pinky fingers (I was born with extra fingers that were removed at birth, and just have never gone to have the bumps removed). It's been since school that I was asked about those, and I was certainly ridiculed for them. But this other adult was just like "Oh that's kind of neat" and moved on with themselves.

Now, ask me how many times I've been called miserable. Could get rich off of that one :D

It puzzles me why people call me weird? My hobbies are face painting ( ok, my plastic heads are creepy), squirrel watching, balloon art, decorating 1950 lunch boxes, etc. All of my hobbies have clubs or forums, so I have ruled them out as not weird, yet the name still sticks. Even as a child, I was labeled weird. I should have asked this question before I became a housebound adult. Can anyone shed light on this? Has anyone else been called weird.? I wish I were rich than I suspect I would have gotten the title of eccentric, which sounds a hell of a lot better!
Ok, how about nonconformist.
  1. a person who does not conform to prevailing ideas or practices in their behaviour or views.

I happily define myself as weird. I don't, like many other's do, set out to be deliberately different. However, I accept that many of my actions differ from the everyday folk. I have no great desire to fit in, or follow trends. I've gone from being very sociable, to an almost Hermit like existence. Who knows what the next phase might be.

weird
[wɪəd]

ADJECTIVE
  1. suggesting something supernatural; unearthly.
    "weird, inhuman sounds"
    synonyms:
    uncanny · eerie · unnatural · preternatural·
    [More]
  2. archaic
    connected with fate.
NOUN
archaic
SCOTTISH
  1. a person's destiny.
VERB
NORTH AMERICAN
informal
(weird someone out)
  1. induce a sense of disbelief or alienation in someone.
    "blue eyes weirded him out, and Ivan's were especially creepy"

I've been labeled weird my whole life. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily 'weird' as I've met some truly WEIRD people in my life, bless their odd little souls. But definitely I've followed my own path and have my own, unique quirks and hobbies that to a lot of other people, fall into the realm of 'weird'. I'm totally fine with that - in fact, it's a term I'm fond of. I love people who are uniquely themselves, however they may express it. Some are loud and proud about it, some are more quiet and subtle in how they present themselves to the world.

I wear dresses/skirts all the time, have a great fondness for historical clothing (especially Victorian/Edwardian styles) and incorporate those styles into my everyday wear, so I don't really dress like the 'average' person - I don't do jammies in public or yoga pants. :D I stand out - that makes me unique in many people's eyes, although obviously to me, I'm just normal. I'll be 50 in a few short weeks and I collect LEGO, I'm an avid video game player, I love hanging out in graveyards, I collect books on the occult, I have an ever-growing collection of fantasy art, I'm a shy and quiet personality and don't say much until I know you well - all of that makes me a little odd. I've always related to the people on the 'fringes' of society - the so-called nerds, geeks, loners, misfits - these are my people.

I think you sound fun and fascinating! And I love squirrel watching too, they are full of antics. Our resident squirrels disappeared a few years ago, I suspect mean-spirited neighbours.

I was voted most likely to end up in prison in high school. I was scary weird and constantly doing odd things and laughing about them. I constantly tortured and harrassed the teachers. I had soooo much fun doing that. I just, well, don't think like other people do. I had to learn what was acceptable and what was not. It didn't come naturally to me. As such many of my facial expressions and body language do not match my actions. I do what's acceptable to not stand out. But, when someone looks closely at me they are like somethings not right with that guy. Then they do not want to be around me.

I wear dresses/skirts all the time, have a great fondness for historical clothing (especially Victorian/Edwardian styles)
I've always worn Victorian inspired clothing, I got bullied at school for it, bizarrely last time I was on the Kings Road all the bright young things were wearing outfits mostly inspired by Victoriana. Actually made me feel uncomfortable tbh " look at the ageing rocker trying to look trendy " :)

I have been called weird by friends and family alike. At first, I lamented my station in life; "Oh woe is me, why cant I be normal?" but as I matured, both physically and mentally, I came to appreciate my weirdness. Is what makes you special.

I've always worn Victorian inspired clothing, I got bullied at school for it, bizarrely last time I was on the Kings Road all the bright young things were wearing outfits mostly inspired by Victoriana. Actually made me feel uncomfortable tbh " look at the ageing rocker trying to look trendy " :)
I got bullied too - kids can be asses, eh? You should be walking down the street strutting like a peacock! It's funny how kids nowadays think they're so hip wearing all this stuff that our generation made cool - I see ripped jeans making a comeback (not that I was ever into that style), the Goth/New Wave sensibilities with Victorian-inspired clothing/make-up/eye-liner for both sexes. But then again, we probably took inspiration from generations past as well. As the old saying goes, "What comes around, goes around" especially in trends and fashion. Wish we'd make a comeback to men wearing 17-century frock coats, lace cravats and high heels, haha - I'd be in heaven. :p

I could appreciate a Lestat de Lioncourt in a world full of Edward Cullens.

I feel weird to a degree, that I believe I am outside the normal. It's sometimes hard to not compare myself with "the normal women" or people. I know, that I was neglected as a child and that my inner child is not fully grown up in some parts. I feel very vulnerable and I can't say yet, that I have found myself. Or my self.
Everything is winded around my diseases and I know it will take years to get better. I am occupied with it all the time. I believe good relationships are a blessing and nothing taken for granted.
My self-consciousness changed in the way, that I can openly say, that I am disabled and don't try to pretend I'm like the others anymore. And yes, sometimes I'm proud of the easiest things like doing my chores, getting up, talking care of my body, doing some cleaning and going for a walk, just because it takes a lot of effort to do it, when the illness causes exhaustion or depression or desorientation.
I always tried to be able to follow with the others, but I couldn't and now it's time to think of myself.
Weird is subjective. People always define behaviours as normal or not, but that's the definition of the mass.
I love carpets a lot. If you have a good and fluffy one, I'd love to come for a visit. I collect stones with different shapes, which I found at meaningful places. I like places or things, who tell a story. I believe we often think, that we're the only person, that likes something or has a special habit, but there is a big chance, that there are others, who are similar in that point.

I got a wardrobe full of frock coats, waistcoats, grandad collar shirts and Cuban ( not quite high heeled ) boots from my rock band days, I'd bloody love a chance to wear them again. 🎸

I got a wardrobe full of frock coats, waistcoats, grandad collar shirts and Cuban ( not quite high heeled ) boots from my rock band days, I'd bloody love a chance to wear them again. 🎸
And I'd bloody love a chance to see you dressed in them, hahaha. :love::ROFLMAO: Seriously, why not just wear them out and about? I'm sure there would be lots of appreciation, especially in a place like Walmart where people aren't used to seeing well-heeled gentlemen dressed in style.

Latest posts

Back