Today it occured to me...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spare

Reaction score
When I first met my ex girlfriend, she was in a rough place in her life. She was in a situation she didn't like, in a state she hated, and she was very alone.

Things were at their worst for her around Christmas time last year, so she managed to finagle some leave to come up and spend the holidays with me. It was fantastic. The best Christmas ever. We both found ourselves feeling better about life than either one of us had in a very long time. But the night before she had to leave, the prospect of going back to that life began to overwhelm her, and she broke down. We were at a very serious point in our relationship, and I was at a place where I could tell her with absolute conviction that I would trade places with her if I could, that she would never have to go back to that mess again. I meant it, too, with every fiber of my being.

This was, of course, impossible. I doubt very much that I would've been capable of fooling the army into thinking I was a 24 year old woman. So she went back. And over the course of the next several months, through hard work and some lucky breaks, her situation began to improve dramatically. So dramatically in fact, that the entire course of her life changed, and by April it was apparent to her that this new course left no room for me. So a day after our final visit, a whirlwind week over Spring Break that saw me traveling through seven different states, she ended our relationship. I was, and remain, truly and utterly heartbroken.

Now her career is blossoming, her social life has expanded dramatically, and she finally has a boyfriend who doesn't live two thousand miles away from where she's stationed. She's finally happy.

I, on the other hand, have never been so miserable.

Today it occurred to me that, in a way, that wish I made has come true.

If this is somehow the case, if I actually have assumed the burden of her unhappiness and added it to my own, then that's okay. I'm a man of my word, and it's a price I gladly pay.

If this ISN'T the case (and yes, I know it isn't), well, to be honest, it makes me feel better to pretend that it is.

Perhaps you reminded her too much of the painful past that she wants to be forgotten and that's why she had to let you go. But I believe you were also the best part of her life during that time.

If this is somehow the case, if I actually have assumed the burden of her unhappiness and added it to my own, then that's okay. I'm a man of my word, and it's a price I gladly pay.

If this ISN'T the case (and yes, I know it isn't), well, to be honest, it makes me feel better to pretend that it is.

Spare, I will always appreciate your tactful frankness and honesty.

It seems kind of like a stepping stone effect, almost. My first -and last- distance relationship was similar, except we only met once and it didn't go well at all. When she moved on from me she went on to college and is currently working on becoming a veterinarian. She met this artsy photographer fellow who compliments her well and they toured Scandinavia together, following Hellfest and I think Paganfest (various metal band tours that I would slay twelve starving orphans to see) and later visiting Paris, posting pictures all the way. Pictures of them. Together. In a place I dream to visit.

If you feel like you're a street urchin watching the bourgeois have their Christmas Goose in front of a roaring fire, staring through their frosted window pane, then I can most certainly relate and I concur, that it sucks a thousand fold.

I think the best way to look at it, is as a stepping stone of your own. This was recent, but you'll come back from it with repeated, dutiful affirmations and an effort to move on. And when you do you can try again.

Spare, I do not lie when I say this; I think you are a wonderful person and I am sorry that you are sad about losing someone you loved. You WILL find someone that is deserving of your love, I am sure of it. The pain from the past will only recede when you find someone new I think.

So, try putting yourself out there & meeting new people.

I agree with soph. Spare you're awesome and I am sure there is someone out there who'll see you for your true value

Spare said:
When I first met my ex girlfriend, she was in a rough place in her life. She was in a situation she didn't like, in a state she hated, and she was very alone.

Things were at their worst for her around Christmas time last year, so she managed to finagle some leave to come up and spend the holidays with me. It was fantastic. The best Christmas ever. We both found ourselves feeling better about life than either one of us had in a very long time. But the night before she had to leave, the prospect of going back to that life began to overwhelm her, and she broke down. We were at a very serious point in our relationship, and I was at a place where I could tell her with absolute conviction that I would trade places with her if I could, that she would never have to go back to that mess again. I meant it, too, with every fiber of my being.

This was, of course, impossible. I doubt very much that I would've been capable of fooling the army into thinking I was a 24 year old woman. So she went back. And over the course of the next several months, through hard work and some lucky breaks, her situation began to improve dramatically. So dramatically in fact, that the entire course of her life changed, and by April it was apparent to her that this new course left no room for me. So a day after our final visit, a whirlwind week over Spring Break that saw me traveling through seven different states, she ended our relationship. I was, and remain, truly and utterly heartbroken.

Now her career is blossoming, her social life has expanded dramatically, and she finally has a boyfriend who doesn't live two thousand miles away from where she's stationed. She's finally happy.

I, on the other hand, have never been so miserable.

Today it occurred to me that, in a way, that wish I made has come true.

Ok, I don't know what exactly was it between you two. On what level was your relationship.

But some terms come to my mind:

Aircastles,
Shining Knight Syndrome.

I know afterwards advice is pointless but why say such thing that you could switch places with her if you could not do that? That is Shining Kinght Syndrome right there. And you might have made it feel worse for her, you simply overreacted. You felt pity for her. And why would you want to switch places with her? Do you feel any happier now?

That said, honeysuckle happens, mkay? People break up, they move on and find new one.

Calm said:
Ok, I don't know what exactly was it between you two. On what level was your relationship.

Aircastles,
Shining Knight Syndrome.

I know afterwards advice is pointless but why say such thing that you could switch places with her if you could not do that? That is Shining Kinght Syndrome right there. And you might have made it feel worse for her, you simply overreacted. You felt pity for her. And why would you want to switch places with her? Do you feel any happier now?

That said, honeysuckle happens, mkay? People break up, they move on and find new one.

I was having a bad day and I needed to vent a little. Obviously, that means I deserve to be condescended to. Thank goodness you were here to accommodate!

The more people like you I encounter, the less I understand them. It simply boggles my mind how ANYONE can believe that belittling a COMPLETE STRANGER is an appropriate thing to do.

Good grief.

And what's with the "word" 'mkay?' Is there a snottier thing to say to someone?

Spare said:
Calm said:

Aircastles,
Shining Knight Syndrome.

I was having a bad day and I needed to vent a little. Obviously, that means I deserve to be condescended to. Thank goodness you were here to accommodate!

The more people like you I encounter, the less I understand them. It simply boggles my mind how ANYONE can believe that belittling a COMPLETE STRANGER is an appropriate thing to do.

Good grief.

Oh Spare he's done that quite a few times to people on this forum. Such a lovely fellow. *Sarcasm*

He needs to take his ass-wipe attitude somewhere else because I really don't see a place for it here on ALL.

I was worried when you left the chat suddenly the other day, and been wondering how you're doing. :(

I know this wasn't the point, but first of all I want to say that that was a beautifully written post. You expressed yourself so honestly and vividly, I was able to imagine being in your shoes even though I've never been in that particular situation. I appreciate you sharing such frank emotions with us.

I'm so sorry to hear about the new development about your ex. I know this is a cliche (the whole "loved and lost" thing), but nothing can take away the good times you both had.

Of course you have every right to be sad right now, but it WILL be okay again!
...I wish I could offer better encouragement than that, but that's what I've got.

ThinkPositive said:
I was worried when you left the chat suddenly the other day, and been wondering how you're doing. :(

I know this wasn't the point, but first of all I want to say that that was a beautifully written post. You expressed yourself so honestly and vividly, I was able to imagine being in your shoes even though I've never been in that particular situation. I appreciate you sharing such frank emotions with us.

I'm so sorry to hear about the new development about your ex. I know this is a cliche (the whole "loved and lost" thing), but nothing can take away the good times you both had.

Of course you have every right to be sad right now, but it WILL be okay again!
...I wish I could offer better encouragement than that, but that's what I've got.

Thanks very much, ThinkPositive. Your encouragement is very encouraging indeed!

Just to let everyone know, I'm feeling much better about things. Actually, I'm feeling a surprisingly large amount of better. Writing that out proved to be a very therapeutic thing for me to do.

Thanks again all! :)

Spare said:
Writing that out proved to be a very therapeutic thing for me to do.

That's like, 50% of this forum's value, to me.

Everytime I have one of my conniption fits over something silly I come here, spew it forth in a pulsating mass of mystery matter, and it's like... "Ahhh. Much better."

Spare said:
Just to let everyone know, I'm feeling much better about things. Actually, I'm feeling a surprisingly large amount of better. Writing that out proved to be a very therapeutic thing for me to do.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better, Spare.

I also feel better after I hash honeysuckle out through writing, either here, in a blog or my super-secret vent document. heh Oh, and Facebook.

Spare--
Writing out the rough spots always helps me too. I'm glad you're doing better.

Soph--
Yup...

(((spare))) Things are getting better, and you don't even know it. everyday that passes is one day more that you regain your strength and you learn to smile again.

You are such an awesome person... so welcoming and easy to talk to... not to mention....handsome! :D thank you for being my friend Spare... I'm glad you feel comfortable enough with us here to share your thoughts and feelings..keep writing it all out.

Don't be surprised to see me and my cats knocking at your door one day! :)

Don't really have any advice to give,
I don't really know how you're feeling, never broken up with someone.

Just wanted to say i'm sorry, I hope you find someone better than her, and i'm here if you ever want to talk.

Yay! I'm glad you're feeling better. And I know that by "better" you probably didn't mean completely, but one improvement at a time. :)

Spare said:
Calm said:

Aircastles,
Shining Knight Syndrome.

Good grief.

I gave an honest opinion, my comment to this text. Not meant to be demeaning at all, just advice. How exactly did I belittle anyone??? What is your problem, really? Just... graaaah, facepalm. How can one feel anything at all towards complete stranger? *hug*

What should I have done, gave you just a *hug*? When you need just a *hug*, say it.

Knight in Shining Armor Syndrome

And I am sorry, I did not know this was Sophias forum :(

Latest posts

Back