topical taboo

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beingnobody

Reaction score
I really wish it were possible to delve into things like politics, pandemic, religion etc, because I have thoughts aplenty.

Unfortunately, age and experience has taught me that such issues are a sewer and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep such discourse civil.

Things have come a long way since Socrates and Plato.

On other sites over the past decade as have been known to lay down walls of text in the two thousand word range two and three per day. I miss those days greatly.

Unfortunately again, 3 years ago I was flattened by a stroke that leftme with just the use of a single paw and typing with a single finger and greatly reduced vision. While it used to take me twenty minutes to lay down 2000 words with two hands, now it takes me in the two hour range with two dozen edits.

Also, profanity and expletives flew like expired Easter candy from a Thanksgiving Day parade float.

Why can't people disagree kindly?

I've been able to disagree kindly on some subjects.

I just run into problems when someone says or does something that I not only disagree with, but that I feel also goes against things like right and wrong, common decency, and a sense of fair play - like when the things that someone is for, basically endorses cruelty or bullying or something like that. I'm also not a fan of views that I consider hypocritical, underhanded, dishonorable, or cowardly.

Like, it's one thing to disagree on things as a matter of preference or taste. But it's another when the things that someone says or does, goes against your values, in what feels like an offensive way. I do feel like there are belief systems out there, that are simply incompatible with each other, because they are hostile to each other and everything they stand for, in the first place.

Last edited:
Well, some people are passionnate about some subjects.
I also find it plausible that social media mindsets have spilt over people's habit.
I remember the late 90s and classic message boards and chat rooms when the internet was a much different place and civil discourse and disagreements still existed, but that age seems long past

I think, speak and write almost entirely from a stream of consciousness.
I do agree that people get too mad on the internet, and to some degree I find it a bit comical.
I suppose because to me, the solution is simple: Close the browser for a while and go do something else.

Well, some people are passionnate about some subjects.
I also find it plausible that social media mindsets have spilt over people's habit.
I remember the late 90s and classic message boards and chat rooms when the internet was a much different place and civil discourse and disagreements still existed, but that age seems long past
In the nineties I had tech savvy people send programs through chat rooms to attack and destroy computers over disagreements

In the nineties I had tech savvy people send programs through chat rooms to attack and destroy computers over disagreements
I think we can agree that was the exception, not the rule. Cyber fraud also existed at the birth of the web, but it wasn't as prevalent as they obviously are now.
I don't believe time specifically changes discourse; time changes people. People drop civilities over time and decide to be arrogant enough to drop civility. It's an evolution, or lack therof, of general culture over time.
Feel free to disagree with me, kindly. 😉

I believe there's also one factor that plays into any written communication on the web.
"You're wrong".
Those two lone words can be interpreted by themselves as being banal, or aggressive, or arrogant, or condescending, or any number of other ways, depending on the state of mind of the reader. I do firmly believe it plays a part, underestimated most times, in the rise of disagreements and "fights" on the internet. Lots of people read into what they want and put behind it the level of vehemence that they want, without knowing if it's the right way to go about it. But I don't know that anything can be done to prevent that, short of closing down all internet, social media, textos, etc.
It can never be the same as you and me sitting in front of a coffee table chatting. And if we all really knew each other for real...maybe we wouldnt want to.

I took a double and then a triple take on this thread topic because for some reason I kept reading it as "Tropical Taboo" 😖
Was picturing fancy drinks with the little umbrellas on the side 😅

Anyways, back on topic...
let's see, maybe some people need to be right at all costs?

There's no genuine need to connect with others with the hopes to try and understand why someone may think and feel the way they do, even if they disagree. That's why there's no proper debate or "sites with walls of text in the two thousand word range two and three per day." I've noticed attention spans have gotten shorter over the years and most people don't want to deal with any sort of reading, let alone a wall of text.

Also just a whole lot of bored people on the internet who may deliberately say and do things to provoke others for the lols

well, that's just my two cents for the day.

I took a double and then a triple take on this thread topic because for some reason I kept reading it as "Tropical Taboo" 😖
Was picturing fancy drinks with the little umbrellas on the side 😅

This, this is what I'd pay to see on here, some tropical taboo debates, is it okay to put 2 umbrellas instead of just the 1?

There's no genuine need to connect with others with the hopes to try and understand why someone may think and feel the way they do, even if they disagree.

This... I try to explore things, I like understanding both sides before I pick mine, even on the most taboo topics. I put a lot of hours into researching things, I think it's because I grew up within a debating house hold. I think people do not like to debate because simply... it exposes that no matter how hard core we are about anything... we are all in the grey space...

My mum loves the royals, and because she loves them, she cant admit anything they did wrong. Admitting anything means, they are not perfect, them not being perfect means she cant support them... I tried to explain to her that it's madness, they are people they made mistakes, what's so hard about that? Does that mean they deserve everything thats happened to them, no. But its because people cant have real conversations, without the crap, that people can't kindly disagree. In my sweet as pie little opinion of course.

I really wish it were possible to delve into things like politics, pandemic, religion etc, because I have thoughts aplenty.

Unfortunately, age and experience has taught me that such issues are a sewer and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep such discourse civil.

Things have come a long way since Socrates and Plato.

On other sites over the past decade as have been known to lay down walls of text in the two thousand word range two and three per day. I miss those days greatly.

Unfortunately again, 3 years ago I was flattened by a stroke that leftme with just the use of a single paw and typing with a single finger and greatly reduced vision. While it used to take me twenty minutes to lay down 2000 words with two hands, now it takes me in the two hour range with two dozen edits.

Also, profanity and expletives flew like expired Easter candy from a Thanksgiving Day parade float.

I actually enjoy a good debate. It isn't essential to agree, but rather see the different arguments and how they are structured. But then, I'm an older guy, who grew up in the company of even older guys. A time when differences of opinion were respected, and folks didn't get offended by everything.

Latest posts

Back