Travel Experiences

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where have you traveled outside of your country? Anything memorable to note? Bucket list destinations?

I've traveled a fair bit; USA (including Alaska, but not Hawaii), Canada, Mexico, Bali, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, UK, central Europe, Greece, Maldives, New Zealand. I thought we were under fire when in Mexico in '99, but it was just a local midnight celebration with scary fireworks lol. Vietnam is an amazing place with wonderful people.

I doubt that I will ever travel overseas again, unless I can afford business or first class, but the Scandanavian region and Caribbean have always been on my bucket list. Africa and South America were once on my list to see, but I've lost interest, although I have watched many many travel shows, documentaries and vlogs to satiate my interest.

These days I just travel within my own country often camping.

Nowadays the end of my street is far enough for me but back in my youth I was always on the road. I spent 14 months bumming around the Med, down thru Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and back up along Africa's north coast. I lived in India for a couple of years mostly Goa and the Punjab, I did six months yoga teacher training in Amritsar. I lived in Dublin for 10 years, bloody miss it, but my favourite place has to be Jordan. I went there for a friends wedding and stayed for 9 months.

I still get the urge to travel occasionally, usually when the missus or my kid are on my case about finding something to do with my life. I quite fancy Ethiopia or Madagascar but the buzz isn't there anymore ... if that makes sense.

@randomguy I know what you mean by "buzz". I had a very big bucket travel list, but it has diminished greatly due to many reasons. It sounds like a vast difference your eagerness to travel. Can I ask, was there a significant event that created this disparity?

I've never really thought about it, without going into too much detail, I was estranged from my family for a long time for various reasons. I ran away from home at 17, I come from a military family, I didn't want to be a soldier like my brothers, father, grandfather, great grandfather ad nauseum so I ran. I used to love discovering new places, people and cultures but I think mostly I was looking for somewhere to belong. I remember saying to my mum "I don't wanna be a soldier" and her replying " Then kid you're f*cked".

I came back to London a few years ago for my dads funeral and finally found some closure and bonded with my mother shortly before her death. I feel at home in London nowadays ... I belong here.

I think more than anything I've come to realise, regardless of race, culture, religion or geographical location, people are the same. We all have the same hopes, fears and problems. Suddenly the world no longer feels so big and wonderous, same crap just better weather. 🤷‍♂️ :)

@randomguy you are right about people around the world, well, most regular everyday people anyway. I found them wonderful most of the time. I was always attracted to natural environments rather than people though. Probably why I enjoy camping so much.

Aside from a quick day trip to Canada years and years ago, I have not been outside my country. But, I think America is a little different, since going to other states are a completely different culture.

Aside from when I was a young kid (born in Australia and lived in New Zealand), I haven't travelled outside of Canada since we immigrated here when I was four.

I'd describe myself as an armchair traveller for sure. And it's not that I don't want to travel - I'd love to and there's many places in the world I'd love to see in person - the U.K., Europe, Nepal, New Zealand, Greenland, Antarctica for starters. What stops me is #1 - a lack of money to devote to travelling. Aside from smaller trips around my country, I've just never had the spare cash to spend on overseas trips. And number #2 is the "getting there" of travel - I'm very much a homebody and travelling is a very stressful activity for me. The thought of crowded airports, cancelled flights, hassles, uncomfortable beds, unfamiliar surroundings, strangers, lost baggage, etc, etc fill me with dread.

I watch a lot of travel shows and I've been all over the world in my imagination. And hey, no vast crowds when I visit the Great Wall of China, or explore the Tower of London, or wander through the Louvre or along Venetian canals. . . 😂 Is that a sorry excuse for actually being there? Yeah. . . maybe to some, but in my head I'm content with that (although if I happen to win the lottery some day soon, I'd suck up my travel fears and go).

Aside from a quick day trip to Canada years and years ago, I have not been outside my country. But, I think America is a little different, since going to other states are a completely different culture.
Ah, I disagree entirely. I’ve traveled around America. It doesn’t compare to traveling to other countries at all.

Mostly in Europe. I'd like to visit UK, Canada, China and Japan.

Haven't gone camping since August, I miss it. I hope my tent can join me in June and I'll go somewhere nearby.

- Canada when I was a kid
- India on business nearly 20 years ago
- South Korea 4 times - on my first trip I hiked to the top of that dormant volcano in my avatar pic. It's the tallest mountain in S. Korea.

EDIT:
Places I would like to go in the future if possible.
- Europe to visit various sites of battles, such as Thermopylae, Tours, etc...
- Japan
- Australia
- Hawaii

I'll need to get my passport for starters.
I let the old one expire and it went past 5 years.
I don't have the new US/NYS Drivers License either, so I think even flying in the states will be a problem.

I avoid camping in the hotter months. Too many bugs, too hot to sleep and can’t have a fire.
I used to live there, where the most part of the year it's too cold and almost never too hot)
I guess, at my current location it can be quite hot in the summer, so I have some doubts about camping in July/August, but anyway I can't get my tent before June.

- Canada when I was a kid
- India on business nearly 20 years ago
- South Korea 4 times - on my first trip I hiked to the top of that dormant volcano in my avatar pic. It's the tallest mountain in S. Korea.

EDIT:
Places I would like to go in the future if possible.
- Europe to visit various sites of battles, such as Thermopylae, Tours, etc...
- Japan
- Australia
- Hawaii

I'll need to get my passport for starters.
I let the old one expire and it went past 5 years.
I don't have the new US/NYS Drivers License either, so I think even flying in the states will be a problem.
That’s a bugger.

I used to live there, where the most part of the year it's too cold and almost never too hot)
I guess, at my current location it can be quite hot in the summer, so I have some doubts about camping in July/August, but anyway I can't get my tent before June.
Lived where?

I was born in St.Helier, Jersey - Channel Islands. Lovely place, small island.
Came to the UK in my adulthood.

I have holidayed in Portugal, Portimao a few times in a villa, lovely place so friendly the people who I met.

Apart from that just sort of day trips out here and there now and again.

I really enjoy reading about the places many visit, the sights and photos.

Latest posts

Back