Trying or Lying?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188644

Reaction score
If you're instinctively a shitty mean person, but you try to be nice. Are you trying or lying?

I'd need more context.

I do feel like some people came out of the womb bad, unfortunately I've crossed paths with a few both online and IRL. There are some people I'd never believe niceness from. I think there's something wrong with them, I think they're just rotten to the core.

But, there might be some that just learned the wrong thing to start with, and could honestly be trying to figure it out.

I think like with so many things, "it depends".

I'd need more context.

I do feel like some people came out of the womb bad, unfortunately I've crossed paths with a few both online and IRL. There are some people I'd never believe niceness from. I think there's something wrong with them, I think they're just rotten to the core.

But, there might be some that just learned the wrong thing to start with, and could honestly be trying to figure it out.

I think like with so many things, "it depends".
From my perspective I think I’m not one of those people you shouldn’t believe kindness from but maybe I am. Idk

From my perspective I think I’m not one of those people you shouldn’t believe kindness from but maybe I am. Idk
Good question/topic
I think the intention behind why people do the things that they do is of great importance.

If the intent is negative but person is showing outward kindness to receive a certain outcome, I believe it does matter in the karmic sense.

Everything we do and think has a karmic consequence. Whether people want to accept it or not. I believe that if ill-intent was behind a grand show of generosity - the outcome will not generate positivity. When all is said and done.

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges, OP.
On an instinctual level, morality does not exist.
It is however, to the greater benefit of society to adhere to morality.
Because without it, violent atrocities would become significantly more commonplace.
So since we like being alive, it's best for us to try to come to acceptance and find healthier coping mechanisms to try to regulate rather than regulate things that we know are not healthy for us but things that we do anyway because of the way that we feel.

Personally, I think that's a question that only you can answer.

Let me put it this way, if someone come and tells you they are thinking of running a marathon for example, being a mean shitting person (Lying) would be encouraging them to do it while hoping they fail. Trying would be encouraging them and hoping that they succeed in there goal.

Consider what you would do and I think you have your answer.

Intention..

hoping they fail while wishing them well - just putting on a show.
Having had the unfortunate displeasure of being around people like this in my life, I can tell you. If never ends well for them.

They give only to get something in return, and usually think throwing some measley cash at a person is supposed to make up for their hideous behavior and actions.

To echo the sentiments of skaFish, yes, some people just are cruel at heart. Some are hopeless, and some are not. People are capable of changing for the better, but how many really want to put in the work?

Edit: this was meant as a reply for howdidifindmyselfhere?

Last edited:
If one is trying to be nice then one is trying. Hopefully the more times one tries the more times one is successful and hopefully that makes one feel better. :)

Hopefully I didn't offend one here. ;)

Intention..

hoping they fail while wishing them well - just putting on a show.
Having had the unfortunate displeasure of being around people like this in my life, I can tell you. If never ends well for them.

They give only to get something in return, and usually think throwing some measley cash at a person is supposed to make up for their hideous behavior and actions.

To echo the sentiments of skaFish, yes, some people just are cruel at heart. Some are hopeless, and some are not. People are capable of changing for the better, but how many really want to put in the work?

Edit: this was meant as a reply for howdidifindmyselfhere?
Yes, the intention, the true meaning/reason for the action. Sorry to hear that you have had to experience being around people like this.

Both. Trying to be something you aren’t is lying but trying says, to me, that you aren’t that shitty of a person if you can recognize the meanness and want to try some niceness. Then again I’m the naturally not nice type of person you are talking about so my opinion is biased. Im trying so ******* hard to be nice and one thing I’ve noticed is that I have been pissed off more. I have never doubted myself so much since I started this little experiment.

Both. Trying to be something you aren’t is lying but trying says, to me, that you aren’t that shitty of a person if you can recognize the meanness and want to try some niceness. Then again I’m the naturally not nice type of person you are talking about so my opinion is biased. Im trying so ******* hard to be nice and one thing I’ve noticed is that I have been pissed off more. I have never doubted myself so much since I started this little experiment.
This is so on the nose relatable it’s scary

Latest posts

Back