Ungrateful Git?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colster

Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit of an ungrateful git.

The last couple of days have seen friends of old, materialise almost out of the blue. This morning, whilst walking the dog, we crossed paths with an old friend whom I haven't spoken to in perhaps 3 years. We stood in the middle of the road for a good 10-15 minutes chatting. It was good to see them, and know they are well. Yet, all the while I was thinking, I'm past this. And yet, I feel slightly ashamed of that feeling.

Late on, a random call came from another friend. Another good person, living a decent life, etc. But they live in work, I guess 60-70 hour weeks. And thus, we are in the phone having a very one sided conversation, as they could only offer work based conversation. Then they invited me to dinner. Another situation whereby I feel awful for having declined. But, a hour long call was really hard work maintaining, so imagine a few hours in person.

Then, my alcoholic friend turned up. We had some laughs as I recalled the earlier events of the day. Like old men do, we both moaned and laughed about the current political situation. But all too soon, we had the same reoccurring conversations, which a greater portion revolves around recruitment for drinking sessions.

I do feel so ungrateful, these days, I have shunned away most people, and so don't have many friends or people who show any interest. Yet, these good people were at least trying, and really didn't want anything in return, other than conversation. And somehow, I just don't have time for that, least not old conversation from years ago, or forced conversation, and definitely not repetitive conversation.

Yes, I am very extremely stressed. Kinda busy, in fits and starts. The relaxation of Covid regulations is bothering me, not specifically Covid, but more so people being everywhere again. A top of this, I have also been feeling the urge to become even more reclusive, everything just feels way too peopley. But none of this seems to justify my intolerance towards these people who in their own ways, care.

I do genuinely crave conversation, and want to hear about somebody's day, thoughts and musings. I do also genuinely care about these friends. Then, try as I might, the tide flows back in to remind me, I'm past them. And, I am an ungrateful git!

Last edited:
Yeah I get this totally, I've been going through a similar experience over the last couple of weeks. I promised my wee 'un I'd try being more "sociable" so looked up a few old friends, visited a few old haunts ( the ones that were still there ) and ended up making excuses and leaving. The longest I lasted was about 50 minutes, no reflection on them on the whole they're still good caring people but their people. I've got such itchy feet now, just want to be alone ( preferably on a beach miles from London ).

Just this past week, I was looking at returning to The USA, and becoming a beach bum. But not in the Baywatch essence, no. A little lodge, or even an RV, somewhere secluded, quiet, but with awesome internet, obviously. 😉

Seriously, I question whether these feelings are born of the Covid separation, age, or is it a generation thing akin to mid life crisis.

I wouldn't call you an "ungrateful git" (I love the word "git," by the way, I wish more people knew it where I'm from in the U.S. I sometimes use it and people look at me very strangely). If you're past people, you're past them. Why force it. There are people I have dismissed from my life, not necessarily because I hate them, but because they no longer interest me, there's something missing for me, etc. If I ran into one of them I would do the same thing you did, though admittedly I would probably also feel guilty about refusing further offers. It sounds like your gut was telling you to stay away and I've found gut feelings have sometimes served me quite well in the past. I don't think you have any reason for self-reproach here.

Are you "past" them or are you using that as an excuse not to engage? I do believe I've read something about you not feeling the desire to get out there and do anything. Perhaps this is an extension of that.

People stuck in a dull routine depress me but that's no reflection on them. I just can't be around it, particularly not large groups of other middle aged people. Some people would greatly appreciate would you have though.

Are you "past" them or are you using that as an excuse not to engage? I do believe I've read something about you not feeling the desire to get out there and do anything. Perhaps this is an extension of that.
No, definitely past them. Pretty much everything they represent is over and done. I don't really have words for it, as I'm not sure I understand it yet, myself. But you know when you see an older guy trying to be cool with kids who are clearly humouring him, or the occasion when you have suggested lunch, and your partner turns up in a ball gown. Maybe these are too harsh analogies.

Certain things I might have enjoyed or simply accepted, just a few years ago. But we're older, hopefully wiser, and the world has changed a little but too. Even my dog has changed during the past couple of years. And yet, some people seem to stuck in hyclone days.

And yes, I have become very well practised in the art of finding excuses not to mix with people. Although, I do still force myself out, and will participate in community activities. I am a good catalyst to bring people together and getting them to interact. There's irony!

However, I haven't been the Rock God Rowdy Shouter, for several years. The comedy routines also stopped a long time ago. The support vehicles have be sold. And I doubt that I have been in any of those familiar venues for 6 years, maybe more.

Metaphorically speaking, it's the pipe and slippers stage of life. And I guess that I just don't have anything in common with what people think of me as.

Last edited:
I say, ding dong, did you just land your Chinook in a ladygarden?

Attachments

• 2014-09-15 00.11.58.jpg
    2014-09-15 00.11.58.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1
Perhaps your own company is just more interesting than most company, at the moment...
Most of the people I meet are either totally self obsessed, just wanting to go on and on about their life story, or their aches and pains and worries, or we have nothing in common. It's more pleasant to read a good book or watcha good film on tv. And with that I can decide when and how long for, where people who want to just turn up to visit when they suit would outstay their welcome or barge in when you are busy with someone or something.

Latest posts

Back